You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Fai and torn labrum  (Read 1237 times)

Offline twokidsskatemom

• Compulsory Figures
  • Total GOE: 17
Fai and torn labrum
« on: January 01, 2015, 05:09:21 PM »
I know someone on this board had surgery for it and my skater did as well on Dec 12. She is doing well so far but we are trying to get some information from USFSA re the rehab time for figure skating. Are the people that had it still around?  She had a small tear repaired and the bone shaved down.

Thanks!

Offline Mainiac159

• Mohawk of Doom
  • Total GOE: 13
Re: Fai and torn labrum
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2015, 11:49:23 PM »
I was diagnosed with a Torn Labrum last year;  it was caused by Congenital Hip Dysplasia.   This led me to a Total Hip Replacement.   My surgeon gave me the go-ahead to start skating after 3 months post op.   I didn't feel my leg was strong enough, so I waited until four months.   When the Physical Therapy visits ended, I started working with a great Personal Trainer.   I've only skated about six times, I have stamina to skate but can only skate for about a half an hour before the pain starts in my lower outside knee (IT Band).   Every time I do something "new"- last time a few back crossovers.   But it's going to take a long time to come back, if I can ever come back to skate the way I used to.   I think I'll start lessons again in Feb.

Keep in mind I'm 61, and although I could skate up until the day of the surgery, I couldn't do much, so it's been over year since I've skated at my best.   I was training for Adult Nationals in Cape Cod.   I'm keeping my fingers crossed I'll be able to complete at ANs in 2016.   Best of luck to your daughter.   Best advice I was given - The turtle wins the race.