You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Skating in the rain!  (Read 3658 times)

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
Skating in the rain!
« on: December 06, 2014, 10:12:23 PM »
I just had a very fun session skating in our facility's outdoor rink in the rain.

With a layer of water on top, the ice was very slick. For completely unknown reasons  :) there weren't many people there. In many ways, perfect conditions for skating.

Of course, it takes a special attitude to enjoy any outdoor activity in other than warm sunny conditions. The people there had the proper attitude. (Are you shaking your head, thinking I'm nuts? You are right! But do you ever go to ice rinks when it's warm outside?) (The proper attitude is easier when you are properly dressed for the weather.)

We couldn't get our music system to work - so I talked some of them (from a high school chorus) into singing in the rain. I talked a couple spectators who dubiously came to look into joining us, pointing out how absolutely crazy a thing it was to do.

All in all, fabulous fun.
:encore

Offline twinskaters

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 9
Re: Skating in the rain!
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2014, 11:00:31 PM »
It's been raining here in NY all day, but we skated indoors. I can imagine outdoors in the rain being fun for my kids, who love playing in the rain. If I'm going to get wet while skating, I will stick to my usual fall-in-the-puddles right after an ice cut. ;)

Offline jbruced

• Traveling in a Synchro Circle
  • Total GOE: 5
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2014, 12:01:47 AM »
Wow! The last time I skated in the rain was back in the '60's! We had lots of fun doing hockey stops to throw water on each other. There have been a few times in the last few years where ponds have frozen over and I really want to skate outdoors but I know not to trust the ice in this area. I miss outdoor skating.

Offline Loops

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 112
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2014, 01:06:13 AM »
Query, it sounds like you had a good time, in the right place with the right people at the right moment.  Awesome.

Offline lutefisk

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 153
    • On Thin Ice
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2014, 09:02:52 AM »
Last night we were downtown (DC) at the Swedish Embassy for the annual St. Lucia procession and  Swedish bazaar.  Later, some of us walked in the rain to a neighboring bar which fronts an outdoor rink along the Potomac River.  There were a couple guys on hockey skates slopping about having a hilarious time.  Each attempted hockey stop created a small tidal wave of rain water.  My only thoughts as I sipped my glass of Cabernet from a warm window seat, were that it looked like fun so long as you a). stayed upright and b). were in cheap plastic skates.  Expen$ive leather boots would've have liked it one little bit.

Offline Lola

• Mohawk of Doom
  • Total GOE: 1
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2014, 01:55:20 PM »
Sorry in advance for hijacking the thread, but Lutefisk, do you know where one could get lutefisk in the DC area?

Offline lutefisk

• On Thin Ice
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2014, 04:37:18 PM »
Sorry in advance for hijacking the thread, but Lutefisk, do you know where one could get lutefisk in the DC area?

Lola:  Try IKEA.  I know they've had it the last few years.  If they're sold out let me know and I'll ask my mother-in-law.  She has her sources.

Offline Query

• mgrunes.com
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2014, 05:57:51 PM »
Expen$ive leather boots would've have liked it one little bit.

I thought about that. Afterward I dried them out as well as I could. Next time I may use boot covers, to slow the rate at which cold water gets inside the boot. Unfortunately, the rink's rental skates aren't sharp enough (they are sharpened by someone who is actually quite good at it, but rental gear is treated poorly) and are too cold for me.

I wonder if I should cover my boots with an acrylic art spray last longer. Or fix up a pair of hockey or speed skates from the thrift store. For now, I look at my skates as somewhat like work clothing, that gets a fair bit of wear while I work.

I didn't choose to practice falls. Most of the skaters were beginners, or near beginners. One fell - fortunately, in the last few minutes of the session, and she had nice warm pile clothing on.

Our setting isn't as picturesque as a pristine alpine lake, but it was quite pretty when the rolling fog rolled in. It came in over a building, so the fog and rain cavorted above us in conditions of clear visibility.

I hope you enjoyed your embassy Cabernet. Like I said, not everyone has the right attitude for foul weather outdoor sports.

That which others perceive as insanity is something you either flee from, or embrace with wholehearted enthusiasm.
:stars:

Offline Meli

• AOSS Member
  • Total GOE: 25
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2014, 08:08:19 PM »
I've skated in the mist, but really prefer skating in the snow.  I've skated out on the lake at the resort in Keystone, CO, and it felt so perfect with the flakes falling all around.

Offline Bill_S

• Over the Edge
  • Total GOE: 370
  • Whack! Bam! Ouch!
    • Bill's skating pages
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2014, 08:18:26 PM »
Have you seen this skating routine to "Singing in the Rain"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXtd7xq7URM
Bill Schneider

Offline lutefisk

• On Thin Ice
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2014, 09:30:09 PM »

I hope you enjoyed your embassy Cabernet. Like I said, not everyone has the right attitude for foul weather outdoor sports.

That which others perceive as insanity is something you either flee from, or embrace with wholehearted enthusiasm.
:stars:

More to the point, Query--I hope the dye in those orange boot laces of yours didn't run!  Oh, and the Cab was quite satisfactory, thank you very much!

Offline Query

• mgrunes.com
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2014, 02:06:48 PM »
Thanks Bill - Looks like Kurt Browning gets it.

Lutefisk, pretty much everything is made to take water, especially stuff that goes outdoors. But your Cabernet, spilled, might possibly dissolve the water-proofing clear coat layer your skates were built with, the die underneath, and the wax that likely waterproofs the bottom of your boots.

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2014, 03:23:09 PM »
This is one of the most fun-to-read threads we've had since the new skatingforums.com came online.  I still miss the old online "parties" - they were always entertaining.  We should have a Holiday Party one Saturday night -- maybe in January for National Skating Month and have it be public so lurking members join the fun.

As for the rain, I used to skate outdoors and the rink was usually open in the rain as long as it wasn't too warm outside.  All the figure skaters were careful not to fall because no one wanted to go home wearing wet clothes.  (In my case, it was a 40-minute ride by bus, with a transfer.  Brrrrr!)
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline nieves

• Wearing Rental Skates
  • Total GOE: 0
  • :)
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2014, 12:46:57 AM »
I do think skating in the snow is the most fun :)

Offline davincisop

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 162
  • 2017 Goal: Pass Bronze Dances
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2014, 11:47:14 PM »