You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Stepping on the ice with bladeguards!!!!  (Read 8672 times)

Offline karne

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 11
Re: Stepping on the ice with bladeguards!!!!
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2015, 04:14:16 AM »
Every time I see this thread pop up all I can think of is this video: http://instagram.com/p/oKHlZbRf7x/

Me too  ;D

Aaron/Bradley 2018!

Oh, and I actually did this for the first time recently - at my Preliminary Test!  :sweat Luckily I only put one foot on the ice and was standing next to the barrier, so it wasn't a disaster, but my coach did remark that it basically summed up how nervous I was, since I have never made that mistake before.
"Three months in figure skating is nothing. Three months is like 5 minutes in a day. 5 minutes in 24 hours - that's how long you've been working on this. And that's not long at all. You are 1000% better than you were 5 minutes ago." -- My coach

ISA Preliminary! Passed 13/12/14!

Offline lutefisk

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 153
    • On Thin Ice
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2015, 08:44:54 AM »
At my rink there once was a v. talented skater who left her guards on until right at the entry door.  She'd remove the hard guard from her right skate and step out on the ice with that blade.  She'd then glide out from the boards, do a 3-turn and, while balancing on the exit edge, gracefully bring her left foot up and remove the remaining guard while circling backwards to the dasher boards where she'd park the guards until leaving the ice.  I never saw her fall during this maneuver and to this day I am in awe!  I've not seen another skater do this.  Common or not?

Offline CaraSkates

• Doing the Fiesta Tangle!
  • Total GOE: 367
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2015, 10:08:43 AM »
At my rink there once was a v. talented skater who left her guards on until right at the entry door.  She'd remove the hard guard from her right skate and step out on the ice with that blade.  She'd then glide out from the boards, do a 3-turn and, while balancing on the exit edge, gracefully bring her left foot up and remove the remaining guard while circling backwards to the dasher boards where she'd park the guards until leaving the ice.  I never saw her fall during this maneuver and to this day I am in awe!  I've not seen another skater do this.  Common or not?

I frequently take off one guard, step onto the ice and glide towards the boards while taking off the second. I've never considered adding in a 3-turn, I'm usually trying to juggle my water bottle, tissues, phone, etc!

Offline lutefisk

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 153
    • On Thin Ice
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2015, 11:12:12 AM »
I frequently take off one guard, step onto the ice and glide towards the boards while taking off the second. I've never considered adding in a 3-turn, I'm usually trying to juggle my water bottle, tissues, phone, etc!

I'm sure I'd crash and burn if I attempted this.  I have visions of that remaining guard not wanting to come off before my momentum petered out!

Offline karne

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 11
« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2015, 04:14:43 PM »
Take off first guard, step on the ice, turn, take off other guard while leaning against the boards. That's how I do it.

But I have seen variants on what you describe at my rink, yes.
"Three months in figure skating is nothing. Three months is like 5 minutes in a day. 5 minutes in 24 hours - that's how long you've been working on this. And that's not long at all. You are 1000% better than you were 5 minutes ago." -- My coach

ISA Preliminary! Passed 13/12/14!