You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: STARS Adult Screenings  (Read 1807 times)

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
STARS Adult Screenings
« on: March 03, 2017, 05:27:39 AM »
The US Figure Skating STARS program is offering Adult-skater evaluations at key sites.  Us figure skating members should have received an email last week, but the adult track wasn't explained in any detail.  Found this on FB:

First, a shout out to Lori Fussell and Melissa Vriner (STARS) for their very, very prompt responses to my inquiry.  This information is from Melissa, who promises more information very soon:                                                                                        The movement screen will take approx. 30 min. to complete. It is not strenuous, none of the assessments raise one's heart rate in an aerobic capacity and there are no dynamic movements such as jumping. The assessments include the following:

1- Y Balance Assessment (one foot balance extending the free leg in three different directions to test ankle mobility and balance)

2- Single Leg Squat (squat on one foot to recognize knee stability)

3- Rotary Stability (done on the hands and knees to recognize core strength, stability and coordination)

4- Thomas Test (athlete lies in a static position to measure hip mobility)

5- Shoulder mobility (measurement of how much range of motion in each shoulder)

6- Balance Error Scoring System- Balance test that is also a baseline assessment for concussion

The screening is done one-on-one and you will receive individual feedback in the areas of mobility, stability, symmetry and balance.

STARs apparently had several adult skaters who were injured while attempting the youth screenings.  This new program has shorter tests that don't include jumping measurements. 

There is one being held during adult nationals in Wake Forest, NC for $119.  The STARS Assessment-only at Hershey, which includes online athlete tracking, is only $64 and is three times longer in time.  For the kids, both programs in Boston are $164, combined.

There are restrictions based on Moves test levels, but check it out at:  http://www.usfigureskating.org/story?id=59143

-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright

Offline RoaringSkates

• Beware the Bars of Death!
  • Total GOE: 7
Re: STARS Adult Screenings
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2017, 08:43:47 PM »
How do I know which ones allow adults, and what moves level you have to have?

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2017, 08:52:40 PM »
Adults can register for the "High Performance Movement Screen."  (Not the STARS Combine session.)

The Adult Skater policy on the website says Pre-Prel or Pre-Bronze Moves. 

http://www.usfsa.org/content/2017%20Adult%20Skater%20Policy.pdf
-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright

Offline CaraSkates

• Doing the Fiesta Tangle!
  • Total GOE: 367
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2017, 09:02:59 PM »
The US Figure Skating STARS program is offering Adult-skater evaluations at key sites.  Us figure skating members should have received an email last week, but the adult track wasn't explained in any detail.  Found this on FB:

STARs apparently had several adult skaters who were injured while attempting the youth screenings.  This new program has shorter tests that don't include jumping measurements. 

There is one being held during adult nationals in Wake Forest, NC for $119.  The STARS Assessment-only at Hershey, which includes online athlete tracking, is only $64 and is three times longer in time.  For the kids, both programs in Boston are $164, combined.

I am signed up for the HPMS at AN already. I would have considering doing the STARS testing at Hershey (it's super close for me) but I am already busy at a competition that day. I know that adults are not really permitted/encouraged to do the combine but I have both standard and adult tests (Juv & Gold FS, Novice MIF) and workout several times a week. I think it would be nice if adults were given the option to also do the combine - maybe one session at each location being adults only.

There are restrictions based on Moves test levels, but check it out at:  http://www.usfigureskating.org/story?id=59143