You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Coaching an element beyond one's own level  (Read 18227 times)

Offline Sierra

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 97
Re: Coaching an element beyond one's own level
« Reply #50 on: March 27, 2011, 10:33:32 AM »
I can't speak for anybody else... But, I have been doing twizzles and loops in programs for a few years now, so they are not completely new to me.  I would feel much more comfortable teaching twizzles than loops.  I have spent some time with my coach on loops so I can better understand how to teach them, but I would not feel comfortable teaching them just yet.
I see more problems arising when coaches "think" they can teach elements that they never did or don't remember learning, like loops and twizzles.
with regards to loops. I entered a competition a couple of years ago which required a series of 3 loops. On the UK tests we only have BI loops. My coach hadn't ever taught loops other than the test ones and of course it's now over 20 years since she passed her figures test in them. It made for an interesting lesson as she had to work out how to teach them.
Thanks for the answers! I was pretty curious because I see my coach doing them but I never see anybody else other than the mitf coach doing them. Maybe both of them already did loops/twizzles in competition or ice dance or whatever.

As for the demonstration, if I get lucky my coach demonstrates a wicked layback, or a half-camel or half-sit. She calls over other students sometimes to demonstrate doubles, not very often though. Part of the reason I got stuck on salchow in group lessons though was because nobody actually explained to me what a salchow was..

Offline Sk8Dreams

• CER-B
  • Quintuple Salflutzchow
  • Total GOE: 70
  • On Edge
Re: Coaching an element beyond one's own level
« Reply #51 on: March 27, 2011, 08:01:05 PM »
I believe this is also a factor of the level of skating.  For example, my kid has been able to watch Youtube and the like and self-teach spin variations, transitions, and certain jump entries (successfully, according to the coach who does further refine them as they progress naturally); however, that is on top of a solid grounding in technical ability. Thus, it's a new "twist" on something already known, combined with a knowledge of how certain effects are possible.  A few years ago, as a much junior skater, I doubt that would have occurred.

Similarly with my other kid and ice-dance. At this point (working on Senior Silver dances, which is Killian/Blues/Paso/Starlight) - she can watch youtube etc to pick up timing, rhythm, and step sequences. However, I doubt she would have been able to pick up the Dutch Waltz on her own :)

I agree.  As a child it all had to be explained to me in great detail.  Now, as an adult with all of that technical background, I know right away what I am seeing, and I know what to look for.

Part of the reason I got stuck on salchow in group lessons though was because nobody actually explained to me what a salchow was..

I noticed you used the word "explained," but didn't say that no one "showed" you.  ::>) :laugh: ::>)
My glass is half full :)