You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: synchro glasses competitions  (Read 14797 times)

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
Re: synchro glasses competitions
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2011, 12:36:41 PM »
I'm guessing the neighborhood doctor is an Optometrist.  I've found that Optometrists, who are not medical doctors, are more sales-oriented in terms of coatings and specialty lenses.  They often place the orders with the lab and they receive a commission for the options they sell.  That's how I ended up with gradiated lenses that gave me dizzy spells and headaches.  It wasn't necessary since my reading vision was barely in need of adjustment, according to the Opthalmologist I went to later.  (I thought something was wrong with me, not realizing it was the glasses.)

Opthalmologists are specialty medical doctors that, if they make a recommendation, it carries more weight IMO.  They usually give you the pros and cons of those options and let you make the decision whereever you buy the glasses.  They give you a prescription for glasses that you take to have filled elsewhere, so they don't have a vested interest in what you buy other than making sure you can make an informed decision.  With my FIL, the Opthalmologist recommended darker Transitions lenses after the MD diagnosis.
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2011, 12:40:22 PM »
What about getting her a pair of glasses with clip-on sunglasses? They used to look somewhat unattractive, but, nowadays, many of the clip-on sunglasses are quite nice looking and very trendy. And, frankly, the clear with clipons are cheaper than transitions, and you can get them in darker shades; there are other problems with the transitions, as, in many cases, they do not "react" in the car or in rooms that have windows that have UV coating on them ... so, clipons give you that sunglass effect in those areas which the transitions may not.

We get two pairs of glasses for my kid: one with transitions, one without. She needs the transitions b/c she is farsighted; same heightened risk factor due to the index but not as severe as Falen's kid (yes, this is a legitimate problem; particuarly if the child is blue-eyed, oddly enough). However, in winter, we typically don't need the transitions in our area as the UV index is lower, and she's not a skiier.  The one pair with transitions are in titanium frames as they are used for sports and outdoor activities; the ones without are pretty fashion-type frames.  We can also get a clip on for those pretty ones if we want them - but, don't bother.

Offline falen

• Pairs Partner
  • Total GOE: 8
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2011, 01:15:56 PM »
I am light eyed and got floaters.  One right in my line of vision, so now I wear sunglasses even on cloudy days.  The dr said that without the uv due to the script can do similar damage.  Right now I am really kind of stuck with what she has, but I will definitely be talking to the doctor on the options you mentioned.  Or just avoid outdoor rinks and obviously no synchro since you can't pick and choose which rink your team competes at.

I just needed a place to vent.  It was just so Little House on the Prairie, the whole situation.  I think she will still be worried that it will effect her grades on the competition.   It will definitely psych her out. 

Offline jumpingbeansmom

• Wearing Blade Guards on the Ice
  • Total GOE: 60
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2011, 01:26:43 PM »
I am light eyed and got floaters.  One right in my line of vision, so now I wear sunglasses even on cloudy days.  The dr said that without the uv due to the script can do similar damage.  Right now I am really kind of stuck with what she has, but I will definitely be talking to the doctor on the options you mentioned.  Or just avoid outdoor rinks and obviously no synchro since you can't pick and choose which rink your team competes at.

I just needed a place to vent.  It was just so Little House on the Prairie, the whole situation.  I think she will still be worried that it will effect her grades on the competition.   It will definitely psych her out. 

Outdoor competitions are rare....so I wouldn't let it sway you from synchro.   My dd did synchro from age 6 - 9 and she never had even ONE outdoor competition.

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2011, 01:29:08 PM »
I don't think it would hurt her to get a special pair of glasses for use at skating competitions.  It won't work for this competition, since there isn't enough time, but for the future.  Even non-shaded glasses have UV coatings.  I don't have transitions, but my clear glasses offer UV protection.  Contacts generally do too.  

Think about how much money you spend on skates, on dresses, on lessons.  A pair of glasses she can wear for competitions would just be an expense of the sport.  (Kids need back up glasses anyway.  If she absolutely can't go without them- what do you do when they break?)  Getting either sport goggles, or special glasses that are made not to break is a really good idea.  Fashion glasses generally break upon hard impact- like them flying off your face after a spin (never happened to me skating, but did once dancing).

As she gets older, talk to the doctor about contacts.  Like I said, I cannot wear contacts due to medical restrictions, my doctor has approved daily contacts for special occasions, like competitions, that I wear for less than 5 hours.  

Offline falen

• Pairs Partner
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2011, 04:09:09 PM »
We always keep her old glasses for backup.  But like I said all of them were transitions.  I was told clear glasses have no uv, must check that out.  Dr did tell me contacts have uv protection.

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2011, 04:13:48 PM »
You can get clear glasses that aren't coated, but I've never gone to an eye doctor who gives you that option.  (It's pre-checked on all the forms.)  I suppose you could ask to have it taken off, but UV protection is important, as you know.

If you don't have money for new frames, it is usually easy to just get new lenses for an old pair, to use for skating.  Frames are always the most expensive part of getting glasses.

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
  • Total GOE: 49
« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2011, 01:19:12 AM »
You can get clear glasses that aren't coated, but I've never gone to an eye doctor who gives you that option.  (It's pre-checked on all the forms.)  I suppose you could ask to have it taken off, but UV protection is important, as you know.

Glasses are made of polycarbonate which as a material prevents UV light passing through.

Offline falen

• Pairs Partner
« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2011, 11:11:58 AM »
So what's the big deal about the transitions?  Why do they push it?

Offline sk8tegirl06

• Beware the Bars of Death!
  • Total GOE: 7
« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2011, 11:27:16 AM »
So what's the big deal about the transitions?  Why do they push it?

That's probably something you need to ask your eye doctor. I've had glasses for going on 15-16 years. I don't know my numbers off the top of my head, but I'd venture to say it's close to 20/200 along with astigmatism as an added bonus. Without glasses/contacts I can see colors and shapes/outlines and not much else. I've never had the transitions lenses and never been pushed into them....

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2011, 11:39:44 AM »
I don't need reading glasses, so I have clear glasses and sunglasses.  Both are prescription and have UV protection.
I think my sunglasses are darker than Transitions, though.  I have light eyes and floaters myself, but my Opthalmologist said that as long as I wear sunglasses with UV protection, it'll be fine.  My current pair are also polarized, which makes it really hard to read the digital displays in the car, lol.

I never liked the look of the indoor color on Transitions lenses.  They always look dirty to me, like they're nicotine-stained.
The newer ones are much better and clear more quickly when you move out of bright light.

Falen - what answers did you get about the competition and the synchro team?
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline icefrog

• Flippin' Flutzstrated
« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2011, 12:30:00 PM »
That's probably something you need to ask your eye doctor. I've had glasses for going on 15-16 years. I don't know my numbers off the top of my head, but I'd venture to say it's close to 20/200 along with astigmatism as an added bonus. Without glasses/contacts I can see colors and shapes/outlines and not much else. I've never had the transitions lenses and never been pushed into them....

I'm the same way. Classes pratically my whole live and never transitions. I have had the clips, but only because they came with a pair when I was a kid. I also have dark eyes and have never heard of floaters? So maybe it was never an issue?

Offline kssk8fan

• Zamboni Driver
  • Total GOE: 12
« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2011, 07:55:09 PM »
Most competitions aren't outdoors so perhaps your daughter could be an "alternate" for outdoor comps and skate with the team during indoor competitions.  Or perhaps you could get the coach to choreograph a number to "I wear my sunglasses at night" and then the whole team would wear them! 

On a serious note....if a beginner team won't let a kid wear prescriptions lenses that transition in bright light, maybe that's not a team your child should be on.  If you're doing USFSA Synchro, I do believe that beginner teams still fall under learn to skate and I can assure you there's no rule about transition lenses at that level.   However, if you daughter does want to consider synchro I would HIGHLY recommend a sports band to hold them on!

Offline falen

• Pairs Partner
« Reply #38 on: March 14, 2011, 12:15:52 PM »
I don't need reading glasses, so I have clear glasses and sunglasses.  Both are prescription and have UV protection.
I think my sunglasses are darker than Transitions, though.  I have light eyes and floaters myself, but my Opthalmologist said that as long as I wear sunglasses with UV protection, it'll be fine.  My current pair are also polarized, which makes it really hard to read the digital displays in the car, lol.

I never liked the look of the indoor color on Transitions lenses.  They always look dirty to me, like they're nicotine-stained.
The newer ones are much better and clear more quickly when you move out of bright light.

Falen - what answers did you get about the competition and the synchro team?

We saw the chairlady personally.  At first she seemed off put and asked to see the glasses.  Put them up to her face. Then there were some soft spoken expletives and said she can certainly wear them.  Maybe she felt sorry at how bad DD's vision was.  That was for the comp next weekend.  I think dd is over the synchro so no use pursuing that.

Offline isakswings

• Carrying Baton for Yelling At Hockey Boys
  • Total GOE: 22
« Reply #39 on: March 14, 2011, 05:43:30 PM »
It seems to be the changing lenses.  Coach really thinks its an esthetics thing.  

And when you wear glasses it was recommended to get Transition.  Apparently high scripts that are untinted increase the chances of developing floaters due to uv damage.  Floaters are uncorrectable and it's permanent damage.  It happened to my mother because she was too cheap to get the Transistions.  So I will not be getting her glasses that do not change in the sunlight.  So when she was told it gave an unfair advantage it is pure ignorance.  One poster even mentioned that they LIMIT your vision so DD is at a DISadvantage to wear the transitions, but they are needed to prevent secondary damage.   Really who sees better when it's darker??? So yes it is mean because it is ignorant and not an advantage.

I had to edit, when I reread it sounded like I was calling the poster ignorant, I was directing it to the meanie at the rink that made the comment. :)
I am assuming by advantage, they are referring to the fact that if her glasses are transition glasses, she essentially has sunglasses on which will make it easier for her to see if it is sunny outside. Yes, it will be darker but the glare won't be there. I don't know that anyone was being "mean". Syncro is not big here, so I don't know much about it. I do know that there are different rules in syncro then in singles...

Offline isakswings

• Carrying Baton for Yelling At Hockey Boys
  • Total GOE: 22
« Reply #40 on: March 14, 2011, 05:46:48 PM »
Honestly if they do not want transitions or sunglasses, they should write it out on the entry form.  Then people would not enter if they have medical reason.   I know I would not have entered her had it said something like that.  And I am fine with not letting her do syncro due to the glasses.  I think it should be written.  It seems arbitrary.  Maybe there is another syncro team that would not make it an issue.  There's the lawyer in me coming out!!! I will have to search the online rulebook.  If its not written, it just seems discriminatory.  If it is written somewhere, I am fine abiding by the rules, I just wish someone knew enough to tell me not to enter this particular comp.  There are plenty indoor ones.

I can understand that. Is your daughter feeling hurt at all? I see you talked to the comp chair. That is great. :) Hopefully you and your daughter feel better about the singles comp! I hope it goes well for her.

Offline falen

• Pairs Partner
« Reply #41 on: March 15, 2011, 09:37:25 PM »
That is why I got all growly.  She was hurt.  But now she feels better knowing that she can compete with the glasses.  I'll let you know how she does.

Offline PinkLaces

• Flooping To The Beat
  • Total GOE: 27
« Reply #42 on: March 20, 2011, 03:02:29 PM »
Yes, please let us know how the competition goes for her.

Offline Query

• Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #43 on: March 20, 2011, 08:14:58 PM »
Some people, probably including many skaters, wear tinted contacts to change their eye color, or to keep out bright sunlight.

You have to be very close to someone to tell they are wearing contacts. I doubt judges normally look, but I suppose an evil rival who knew could tell them.

I suspect this is more like certain showgirl groups that require all dancers to be about the same height, to create a uniform look. Do they make everyone dye their hair the same way?

When I tried (soft) contacts, I found it very difficult to put them in. When anything touches or comes close to my eyes, my eyes want to close. Eventually I managed, slowly.

The ophthalmologist said ladies who use makeup are more used to having stuff near their eyes. So applying makeup around the eyes might be good practice for her. Maybe she could practice touching her eyes very lightly with the (clean) tips of her fingers (not her fingernails)?

You might also try another optometrist or ophthalmologist.

In the end, for various reasons, soft contacts didn't work out for me.

I eventually had Lasik surgery. I did it because I didn't want to die if I lost my glasses or the lenses from my glasses while whitewater boating. Contacts would not have solved that problem.

But as an adult, and I understood the risks.

Many years later I need distance glasses to drive legally, in spite of the surgery (which produced imperfect results), and need near glasses to print as small as the ingredients lists on some food packages. This is partly because, like many people, I lost the ability to adapt sufficiently between near and far vision as I aged.

I don't regret having the surgery. It is usually very pleasant not to need glasses most of the time. But the risks are real. And surgery can't fix all future problems, such as continued vision changes and loss of adaptability.

Offline falen

• Pairs Partner
« Reply #44 on: March 20, 2011, 09:57:04 PM »
She got second place. 
It was a cloudy day  ::>)

Offline aussieskater

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 52
« Reply #45 on: March 20, 2011, 11:22:19 PM »
Congrats to your DD!  After the issue of her glasses, was she able to enjoy her performance?

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
  • Total GOE: 49
« Reply #46 on: March 21, 2011, 01:52:35 AM »
Congratulations. I hope she and all the family are happy with her success.

Offline falen

• Pairs Partner
« Reply #47 on: March 21, 2011, 02:05:22 PM »
Yes she had fun.  She wants to go again, but this get expensive  :sweat

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #48 on: March 21, 2011, 02:35:16 PM »
Some people, probably including many skaters, wear tinted contacts to change their eye color, or to keep out bright sunlight.

Contacts that change your eye color do nothing to block sunlight.  I wore them for throughout high school- there is a hole in the middle and if your pupil constricts due to the sunlight you see your natural eye color through the hole.

I've never heard of contacts designed to keep sunlight -glare- out, just UV protection, like clear glasses do.

Offline Query

• Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #49 on: March 21, 2011, 04:48:00 PM »
Skittl1321:

If you really care, check a search engine for "dark tinted contacts".

At least one company makes them.

There is a patent on polarized contact lenses,

http://www.polarizedcontactlenses.com

which would reduce glare from the ice (so would polarized glasses), which would be inherently somewhat darker than clear lenses. But as far as I can tell, no one makes them yet.

But it seems it no longer matters.