You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: synchro glasses competitions  (Read 14800 times)

Offline falen

• Pairs Partner
  • Total GOE: 8
synchro glasses competitions
« on: March 09, 2011, 08:24:18 PM »
Need to vent, but comments are welcome.  DD wanted to try for a synchro team next year.  There was a practice, it is an outdoor rink.  And she was told she can't use her glasses(they are the kinds that get darker outdoors).  The child is somewhere worse than 20/200.  She was devestated and crying.  She has a comp there in less than 2 weeks, probably not even time to get new glasses.  But really?  She really can't skate with them?  ACLU anyone? 

Offline icefrog

• Flippin' Flutzstrated
Re: synchro glasses competitions
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 08:41:14 PM »
So weird. I wear mine for time to time and they have never come close to falling off, even during spins. I have terrible vision too so it would be dangerous for me to not have them on.

Offline falen

• Pairs Partner
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011, 08:56:30 PM »
It wasn't so much for them flying off, it was that they are like sunglasses giving an unfair advantage.  I'm still like REALLY! There is no advantage since I am sure most kids w/o glasses are 20/20 & I think dd's is corrected to only 20/30.  Some people are just mean!

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2011, 10:45:21 PM »
My DD's eyes are not as bad as your DD's, nor are my DS's. She does not skate with her glasses on, as, without her glasses her balance is better. However, she is farsighted, so, not an issue with her safety on the ice.

In my son's case, he cannot wear them skating; in a jump or a spin, or in a fall on the ice, they will come off. Same reason he doesn't play baseball or do other physical activities with them. Now, there was a boy at Canadian Nationals who skated with his glasses on, however, they were held on with a strap at the back.

Should it get to the point where the glasses are necessary on the ice, we will switch to contacts. Our opthamologist fits then at age 10, and my guy is older than that now.

We also have the transitions lenses on my one kid's glasses. I do know that they do reduce her vision to a certain extent, as they do darken quite a bit; perhaps that's the issue for the synchro team? Did you ask why they were not permitting her to wear them?  I'd be interested to know the answer.

Offline PinkLaces

• Flooping To The Beat
  • Total GOE: 27
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2011, 10:55:27 PM »
My DD wears her glasses all the time.  She has contacts but is usually to lazy to wear them.  The only time they ever came off was when she was doing a jump in the harness and part of the harness brushed her face.

So they won't let her try-out at all...even if you were to promise to get her new glasses if she makes the team? 

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2011, 11:02:40 PM »
Sorry ... just to clarify: my son skates at (what I believe the US equivalent is, but I'm not entirely sure) the Intermediate to Novice level ... so, he's doing 2A and and flying deathdrops and that sort of stuff ... glasses are not going to survive that darned flying back entry :) and when he hits the ice in a fall, we expect to see body parts come off, not even thinking about the likelihood of glasses staying on! We just never had him wear them at the lower level as we knew that eventually they would have to come off when he got to the higher levels. Figured we should start where we would end up.

Offline falen

• Pairs Partner
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2011, 11:09:55 PM »
I would love to switch to contacts, but she can't get them in, DH and I need no correction so we are clueless.  So dr won't release them to her because none of us know how to use them.  She has tried twice.  But after about 30 min the dr says to come back.

Offline falen

• Pairs Partner
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2011, 11:15:57 PM »
My DD's eyes are not as bad as your DD's, nor are my DS's. She does not skate with her glasses on, as, without her glasses her balance is better. However, she is farsighted, so, not an issue with her safety on the ice.

In my son's case, he cannot wear them skating; in a jump or a spin, or in a fall on the ice, they will come off. Same reason he doesn't play baseball or do other physical activities with them. Now, there was a boy at Canadian Nationals who skated with his glasses on, however, they were held on with a strap at the back.

Should it get to the point where the glasses are necessary on the ice, we will switch to contacts. Our opthamologist fits then at age 10, and my guy is older than that now.

We also have the transitions lenses on my one kid's glasses. I do know that they do reduce her vision to a certain extent, as they do darken quite a bit; perhaps that's the issue for the synchro team? Did you ask why they were not permitting her to wear them?  I'd be interested to know the answer.

I did not get a chance to ask since they were practicing.  Coach thinks it could be a uniformity thing, but now I'm wondering about her comp, we don't have time to get her new glasses.  Even Lenscrafters had to send hers out.

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
  • Total GOE: 49
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2011, 03:06:15 AM »
I wouldn't worry about your daughter's glasses for her singles competition. The glasses thing really is solely a synchro problem and is a safety issue.
Synchro is an inherently dangerous sport. There's 16 skaters on the ice and things sometimes go wrong. The coaches are worried about their being an accident and the glasses breaking and then causing potential injury to your daughter or another skater. While I appreciate that no glasses isn't an option and your DD isn't necessarily ready for contacts, there are other solutions to look into, such as getting a band to secure the glasses to her head. I would however, recommend talking to the synchro coach and finding out what sort of solution they would find acceptable.
I skate on an adult team and wear glasses. I wear contacts most of the time but there are those odd days when the eyes need a rest so I take a risk and just wear glasses, but it's my choice. We have one lady on the team who only wears glasses. As adults, it's our choice, but I know on the kids teams there are kids who take their glasses off when they skate (their vision isn't that bad).

So for your DD's competition in a few weeks, don't panic. I'm sure there's lots of other things you're worrying about but don't add glasses to the list. With regards to synchro, find a time to talk to the coach, explain about your DD's eyesight issues and see if you can come up with a workable solution just for synchro. I find synchro different from singles anyway, just because I practice on my own in gloves and I'm not allowed at synchro.

Offline katz in boots

• Homologating Quadrubles
  • Total GOE: 9
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2011, 03:09:45 AM »
I am confused.  Is the issue about wearing glasses, or that they will adjust to lighting conditions?

Offline Schmeck

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 13
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2011, 07:18:05 AM »
It wasn't so much for them flying off, it was that they are like sunglasses giving an unfair advantage.  I'm still like REALLY! There is no advantage since I am sure most kids w/o glasses are 20/20 & I think dd's is corrected to only 20/30.  Some people are just mean!

First you say the tinted lenses give your child an unfair advantage, then you say others are mean for not allowing that?   ???    Just because your daughter doesn't have perfect vision, doesn't mean she should be given an unfair advantage by using tinted lenses.  She'll just have to wait until you get her glasses that do not change in sunlight.

Offline falen

• Pairs Partner
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2011, 09:46:16 AM »
It seems to be the changing lenses.  Coach really thinks its an esthetics thing.  

And when you wear glasses it was recommended to get Transition.  Apparently high scripts that are untinted increase the chances of developing floaters due to uv damage.  Floaters are uncorrectable and it's permanent damage.  It happened to my mother because she was too cheap to get the Transistions.  So I will not be getting her glasses that do not change in the sunlight.  So when she was told it gave an unfair advantage it is pure ignorance.  One poster even mentioned that they LIMIT your vision so DD is at a DISadvantage to wear the transitions, but they are needed to prevent secondary damage.   Really who sees better when it's darker??? So yes it is mean because it is ignorant and not an advantage.

I had to edit, when I reread it sounded like I was calling the poster ignorant, I was directing it to the meanie at the rink that made the comment. :)

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2011, 09:55:21 AM »
I think you're exaggerating the need for Transitions to gear up for a fight with the synchro coach.  I'm not going to fuel your fire.

It probably is aesthetics - everyone on the team ends up looking exactly alike in synchro.  That's why they have the over-the-boot tights, hairpieces, matching outfits, and team makeup sessions.  I know synchro skaters of all ages who wear glasses, but we skate indoors and they don't wear Transitions.

Don't do synchro if the Transition lenses are that important to your family.   Sounds like you'd be doing the synchro team a favor.

"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline jumpingbeansmom

• Wearing Blade Guards on the Ice
  • Total GOE: 60
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2011, 09:58:12 AM »
I think you're exaggerating the need for Transitions to gear up for a fight with the synchro coach.  I'm not going to fuel your fire.

It probably is aesthetics - everyone on the team ends up looking exactly alike in synchro.  That's why they have the over-the-boot tights, hairpieces, matching outfits, and team makeup sessions.

Don't do synchro if the Transition lenses are that important to your family.   Sounds like you'd be doing the synchro team a favor.

If uniformity is the issue, I say ridiculous...my dd skated synchro and kids wore glasses etc.   Heck, on one of the teams one of the girls either was undergoing chemotherapy or she had alopecia and had lost her hair.....so should SHE not be able to skate because her hair was different?   Honestly, I am stunned that more people here are not being sensitive to the OPers daughters' need for glasses.   What level is this that glasses is SUCH a big deal?

Offline falen

• Pairs Partner
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2011, 10:01:12 AM »
First you say the tinted lenses give your child an unfair advantage, then you say others are mean for not allowing that?   ???    Just because your daughter doesn't have perfect vision, doesn't mean she should be given an unfair advantage by using tinted lenses.  She'll just have to wait until you get her glasses that do not change in sunlight.

Honestly if they do not want transitions or sunglasses, they should write it out on the entry form.  Then people would not enter if they have medical reason.   I know I would not have entered her had it said something like that.  And I am fine with not letting her do syncro due to the glasses.  I think it should be written.  It seems arbitrary.  Maybe there is another syncro team that would not make it an issue.  There's the lawyer in me coming out!!! I will have to search the online rulebook.  If its not written, it just seems discriminatory.  If it is written somewhere, I am fine abiding by the rules, I just wish someone knew enough to tell me not to enter this particular comp.  There are plenty indoor ones.

Offline falen

• Pairs Partner
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2011, 10:12:38 AM »
If uniformity is the issue, I say ridiculous...my dd skated synchro and kids wore glasses etc.   Heck, on one of the teams one of the girls either was undergoing chemotherapy or she had alopecia and had lost her hair.....so should SHE not be able to skate because her hair was different?   Honestly, I am stunned that more people here are not being sensitive to the OPers daughters' need for glasses.   What level is this that glasses is SUCH a big deal?

It's a beginner lever.  

I'm over it.  But geez, I thought the people were over glasses.  In the old days, like 100 years ago, you'd get teased, but now every 4th kid wears glasses.  I understand, they want uniformity, but it would have been nice to know, write it down someplace.  No glasses, must wear contacts, no shaded lenses.   Document it so that people are not in the dark.  Is it in any rulebooks?  If it is, it should be on the applications too.  I will go not and try to find.

Edit.  I searched for tint, glass, sunglass, sun (the only thing found was Sunday) in the online rulebook, and nothing came up.  So I feel better about the comp.  And since it is not in a book, person who made the comment to her was just being mean.  Maybe she wanted to shake her confidence.  Kids who wear glasses are already self concious.  I did not want her doing syncro anyway...just too much money for both.  Blessing in disguise.  But if I am wrong and it is somewhere, or you find it somewhere...PLEASE let me know.  I would much rather she know now and not go than the day of the competition.

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2011, 10:17:42 AM »
What is discriminatory about not allowing sunglasses?
From what you have posted it sounds like they would be fine with her wearing regular glasses that just correct her vision.  
But unless she has an additional medical condition that requires sunglasses, it doesn't seem to be anything but an annoyance that your skater has transition lenses instead of regular ones.  Yes, the transition lense might help protect against developing floaters, but there is nothing that requires her to wear them at all times.  She could just wear regular glasses instead.  What about a 1 hour optical?

Not to mention, I'm not sure "synchro team" is protected for those with special needs the way a job or education is, nor is "transition lense wearer" a protected class, so I don't think you have much of a discrimination claim.  (Possibly if it is a tax-funded city synchro team you may have more of one then if it is private -private organizations can discriminate against whomever they want as long as it is not a protected class...  If the transition lenses are due to a protected medical condition -such as if the skater were legally blind then maybe you also have a stronger case.  But if your skater can be corrected to 20/30 then obviously they aren't legally blind. I think you can only be considered legally blind if the best correction is to 20/200.  And then synchro would be a pretty impressive feat!)

I'm sorry you are frustrated, but it doesn't sound like your skater is being discriminated against.  It would have been nice for the team to mention the restriction earlier though, so you had time to get another pair of glasses.  Does she have an older pair?  They might not be current, but are they good enough correction that she can get through the routine?

Offline falen

• Pairs Partner
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2011, 10:30:48 AM »
No all her glasses have been transitions.  Like I said, dh and I don't wear glasses, so we are going by what the dr tells us.   He says she needs them, we get them.  I think I mentioned that her script had to be sent out.  The first time we went to Lenscrafter because we thought we could get them the same day and it is not on all scripts.  Since then we go to a regular eye doctor.  There is no reason to go the Lenscrafter since they can't do it any faster.

So if you guys know anything on the tinted lenses and comp please let me know, I would rather save her the embarassment and know beforehand.  

If there isn't, it's obviouly THIS team.  There are many other fish in the sea.

OOO I forgot, she does have a pair of goggles that aren't tinted.  I think that would go over well :angel

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2011, 10:34:22 AM »
If uniformity is the issue, I say ridiculous...my dd skated synchro and kids wore glasses etc.   Heck, on one of the teams one of the girls either was undergoing chemotherapy or she had alopecia and had lost her hair.....so should SHE not be able to skate because her hair was different?   Honestly, I am stunned that more people here are not being sensitive to the OPers daughters' need for glasses.   What level is this that glasses is SUCH a big deal?
I don't have a problem with the glasses - I said that our team allows them, but no one on our teams NEEDS the TRANSITIONS glasses since we're indoors.  The higher-level synchro teams are usually older skaters who can handle contacts.  I am NOT a synchro coach, but I do have some insight into how they think, thanks to the past few years of being involved with synchro as a parent and a skater.

This sounds like a competitive team since they have a practice and a tryout.  Our teams have a signup and they add to the roster until the USFSA deadline, lol.    That means falen's intended team spots are in demand, so there are others waiting to fill that slot and willing to wear whatever the coaches say.  Right or wrong, that's the reality.

From a synchro coaches' perspective, imagine a team of 8-12 skaters lined up like matching dolls and one's wearing sunglasses.   The serious synchro team coaches would argue that the glasses would be distracting during performances.  The goal is uniformity, which is why I think it's just an aesthetics isse.  (Which is one of the things I dislike about synchro - it takes away individuality in skating.) 

Since falen is already talking discrimination and ACLU, I think she's getting ready to attack the synchro coaches instead of simply having a conversation to see what the synchro coach meant and find a happy medium to allow the daughter to skate on the team.  They were up front in telling her about the glasses at the practice when they saw them on the DD, so I don't understand why she wants a written list of what's not allowed.  It'd be a phone book!  She's also going by what the daughter heard, which all parent know isn't necessarily what was said to the DD.  The DD might have misunderstood!  I wouldn't wish an angry parent complaining about discrimination on my worst enemy, so I don't think she should join that team.  I think she should look for a different team that will allow the daughter to skate with the glasses since they're essential. 

Falen's so worked up, she seems to be combining things to fuel her anger.  I don't understand the story with the upcoming competition - I thought it was a singles competition.  That has nothing to do with the synchro team.  All she has to do is contact the competition chair and ask them about the glasses.  They'll probably say "don't worry about it."  One less thing to be frantic about before the competition.

She needs to step back and calm down, then approach others.  I don't think this synchro team is right for her family, though.

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2011, 10:45:32 AM »
"OOO I forgot, she does have a pair of goggles that aren't tinted.  I think that would go over well "

Honestly, I know you are being silly, but for synchro I think goggles might actually be safer.  I skate in glasses (can't see a darn thing without them, I'm worse than 20/200 uncorrected) and really only have problems that they fog up on some days (and if I don't have a backup pair of contacts I just have to leave- I can't wear contacts regularly due to a medical condition, so I buy 1 box of dailies at a time, and wear about 20 pairs a year)) and while they very rarely fall off, they have before.   I skated synchro and I'd be terrified someone would trip over fallen glasses, and either hurt themselves, or crush my glasses.  In singles skating, you put yourself at risk, in synchro there are a lot more people to worry about!  You should definetly consider sport glasses.

In synchro the rules don't even let you wear bobby pins in your hair!  It's possible the team is interpreting the rule about ornamentation, since sunglasses are generally considered that, and not the same as regular glasses.  In which case, it only says it needs to be firmly attached to the head, and a behind the neck band should do it.  But I do agree it will look ridiculous to have one member of a synchro team in sunglasses, so the coaches might just say no way.

One thing I'm not clear about- is the tinted lense thing a TEAM rule, or a COMPETITION rule? (As far as I know, it is not a federation rule for either ISI or USFSA- but you could try emailing them too, I've found both federations to be responsive.)  In addition to federations who make the overall rules, competitions can set their own additional rules, and teams can have team requirements.  (Some teams do not allow haircuts during the season, for example.  That's certainly not a federation rule.)  If it is not a federation rule, since it is a beginner team, you could better petition the right people- if it's a competition rule, the team can't help you, you need to talk to the referee.  If it's a team rule, then you could ask for a one time exception, and then remove your daughter from the team.

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2011, 10:52:14 AM »
As far as I can tell from the OP's posts, the upcoming event is a SINGLES competition.  It has nothing to do with synchro or the team, but apparently someone said something to the daughter about the tinted lenses not being allowed at the upcoming SINGLES competition.  Falen didn't speak with "the meanie" so she doesn't really know what was said but in her anger, she's mixed it up with the upfront synchro coach's notice about the DD's current glasses.  (Which could very well have been misunderstood as well.)

If sunglasses/tinted lenses/transitions lenses is a real issue for the upcoming competition, only the skating Club can make that call.
Contacting the USFSA or ISI is going to be fruitless since they'll just say "Well, it's an outdoor rink and the LOC can set those rules."

OP:
. Start by contacting the Competition Chair - their info should be in the competition announcement. 
. Ask for a definitive answer about the lenses for the upcoming competition.  I'd be surprised if it was an issue, but the world is a crazy place...
. If you want your daughter to do  synchro, contact the coaches and ask for clarification on the use of the transitions lenses. 
. They may have meant "not for competitions" or "not at all" but until you open a dialogue, you will not know.
. It's unfair to disparage the team as disability-hating meanies without actually talking to them reasonably and trying to compromise.

If they're sports goggles, they'll be fine. Swimming goggles might be uncomfortable and they'll probably fog up.
Going without glasses for a singles event isn't as dangerous since the skater has the ice to themselves.  They just have to judge the walls well.

Offline jumpingbeansmom

• Wearing Blade Guards on the Ice
  • Total GOE: 60
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2011, 10:55:59 AM »
It's a beginner lever.  

I'm over it.  But geez, I thought the people were over glasses.  In the old days, like 100 years ago, you'd get teased, but now every 4th kid wears glasses.  I understand, they want uniformity, but it would have been nice to know, write it down someplace.  No glasses, must wear contacts, no shaded lenses.   Document it so that people are not in the dark.  Is it in any rulebooks?  If it is, it should be on the applications too.  I will go not and try to find.

Edit.  I searched for tint, glass, sunglass, sun (the only thing found was Sunday) in the online rulebook, and nothing came up.  So I feel better about the comp.  And since it is not in a book, person who made the comment to her was just being mean.  Maybe she wanted to shake her confidence.  Kids who wear glasses are already self concious.  I did not want her doing syncro anyway...just too much money for both.  Blessing in disguise.  But if I am wrong and it is somewhere, or you find it somewhere...PLEASE let me know.  I would much rather she know now and not go than the day of the competition.

Beginner??? OMG...I am looking at a picture of my dd skating synchro beginner level with glasses on. 

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2011, 10:57:32 AM »
Thanks for clarifying that the issue isn't sunglasses in synchro.

Unless it was deemed that the sunglasses are "theatrical in nature" as opposed to just regular glasses, there shouldn't be any reason a skater can't wear them.  Calling the competition chair is the only way to find out if it's okay.  They can then ask the referree.

It's much more cut and dry in singles than synchro.  The ref says okay- it's okay.  
(In synchro you have team rules to deal with as well.)

I would think you have a somewhat valid arguement for a refund if the ref says no, since it's not in the announcement.  But I wouldn't be surprised if they stick to "no refunds for any reason".  You can't put EVERYTHING into the announcement, and they might just tell you since it's an exceptional case you should have asked first.  But if the ref says no sunglasses, since it is singles, can you just have her skate once without her glasses?  If she is beginner level she probably isn't as near to the boards during the routine as senior skaters get.  I had to do that once, and it was a bit nerve wracking, but with no one else out on the ice, it's not a big issue.  (I would NEVER practice without glasses on.)

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2011, 10:59:53 AM »
Beginner??? OMG...I am looking at a picture of my dd skating synchro beginner level with glasses on. 

It's a beginner level team, but the team has a practice and a tryout, so it's probably a more competitive team, not a recreational one.
Again, falen doesn't know what the real issue is with the glasses.  It's probably the darkening feature, not the glasses themselves.
She needs to talk to the synchro coaches, but first talk to the competition chair about the upcoming SINGLES event.

Quote from: Skittl1321
I would think you have a somewhat valid arguement for a refund if the ref says no, since it's not in the announcement.
I think so too, if it's really an issue.  (She doesn't know.)
In this case, it is too short notice to get replacement glasses, so I would think a refund would be in order.

If this is your home rink, It might be a good idea to take an old pair of her glasses, or get the sports goggles Skittl1321 mentioned, fitted with clear lenses.

The speciality lenses always have to be sent out because few labs have the equipment to create Transitions or coated lenses. 
The Opthalmologist probably uses the same lab as the chain stores, to be honest.
My sister (a lifelong glasses wearer) uses an online place that's really cheap - I'll ask her for the website.  She had glasses made for $12 plus shipping.

Offline falen

• Pairs Partner
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2011, 11:31:18 AM »
If the goggle will work, I'm fine with that!  All of them have a uv coating.  But it is still better to find another team.  

I did not even think of getting a refund.  Thanks!!!  And nobody ever thought twice about the transitions until that day.  The glasses are like a part of her.  It was like "You can't wear those"  and she was looking around "wear what?"  No one ever thought to ask, they are just part of her face. not an exception.  At her school, everyone with glasses has transitions, and I mean even the Kindergardeners.  Maybe its from the same neighborhood doctor, but its pretty standard.

I will email I'd rather pull her out than have her embarassed in front of all her friends the day of.

LOL if it is such and advantage to wear transitions and it is not in the rulebook, maybe this will start a trend!

Without glasses would not work.  Dr told me she sees like I would see in heavy fog with 5-10 ft visibility.  Pretty much just shapes and colors.