You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Survey Says ...  (Read 3988 times)

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
Survey Says ...
« on: March 04, 2011, 07:44:33 AM »
I don't know if this is new or if I had just overlooked a trend, but the USFSA seems to be doing a lot of surveys lately.  We've completed one for the Rise event, for Synchro Sectionals, and now my DD who just passed her Prelim Dances received a survey link in the congratulations email.

Not that there's anything wrong with it, to quote Seinfeld, but it just piqued my interest.

I wonder what they'll do with the information they gather?
-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright

Offline Pačiūžos

• Rink Rat
  • Total GOE: 2
Re: Survey Says ...
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2011, 08:32:27 AM »
My DD passed 12 dance tests in 12 months (her first year working ice dance, Dec. 2009-2010) and never got any kind of e-mail from USFSA about it! Nor for any test -- MIF or FS. Perhaps this is a new development for the sake of surveys? What was the subject of the survey your DD received?

Offline MadMac

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 38
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2011, 08:33:59 AM »
She got a congratulations email??? Is this something new? Anyone else ever get one from USFS?

My congrats to your DD :)

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2011, 09:07:24 AM »
What was the subject of the survey your DD received?
They didn't get an email or survey when they passed the Canasta Tango a few months ago.  Nor did they get one for passing Pre-Prel MITF earlier.  Maybe it's because these were the final dances for the Preliminary Dance test?

A congratulatory email is a great idea and it meant that our Club had registered the tests, which is nice to know.  Our Test Chair/Committee is very reliable and good with getting things in quickly.

We all skated at Synchro Sectionals, which meant I had to ask the USFSA to activate my DD's ID numbers for the Members Only site.  That could be why she received an email, since it "linked" her ID to an email address.  I used the same email for all of us since I manage everything related to skating.

The title was "Congratulations on passing the Preliminary Dance Test test!"

The first paragraphs were about USFSA testing and achievement.  The latter half was about the survey, which she answers for each test.  Completing the survey nets DD a 10% off coupon at the USFSA online store by return email.

Quote from: EMAIL TEXT

Congratulations on passing your U.S. Figure Skating Preliminary Dance test! 

The U.S. Figure Skating test structure is the backbone of participation in figure skating, and you should feel proud of this accomplishment. Passing this test allows you to compete at the preliminary level in nonqualifying competitions, and opens the door to many new opportunities.   Keep up the hard work!

Each official U.S. Figure Skating test that you pass is a permanent achievement that goes on your U.S. Figure Skating record.  In addition, with each test that you pass, you become one step closer to achieving the highest accomplishment in testing, passing your senior or gold test.  Skaters who achieve that goal earn the title "U.S. Figure Skating gold medalist," which they carry forever.  Skaters that pass both the Senior Moves in the Field test and Senior Free Skate test are considered "U.S. Figure Skating double gold medalists."

U.S. Figure Skating's Athlete Development Committee is interested in what it took for you to pass your test, and how you participate in figure skating.

Please take a survey and answer some brief questions about your skating.  The information you provide is anonymous and confidential. If you recently passed more than one test, be sure to fill out the survey for each one. Each test level in every discipline requires different amounts of practice, coaching, and ice time.  Your feedback about what it took to get to this level is extremely valuable in developing the future of our sport.  By answering this survey you will help U.S. Figure Skating get to know our athletes better and develop tools and programs in the future to help athletes like you get the most out of our sport. 

To take the survey, copy and paste the following survey url into your favorite internet browser:
(survey link)

As a thank you for completing the survey, and in recognition of your accomplishment, you will receive a coupon code for 10% off of any purchase in U.S. Figure Skating's online store once you finish the survey.   

Congratulations again on passing your test, and best wishes for a bright and long future with U.S. Figure Skating.

It was signed by President St. Peter.  It was a nice surprise, but I was curious about the survey.
-- Isk8NYC --

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
  • Total GOE: 49
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2011, 09:16:36 AM »
Sounds like she's got the email solely because of the survey. They obviously were targetting the demographic of those taking tests, and sending out a congratulations email might be a way to get more people to respond. (She's in a good mood as she's just received some praise, so does what they're asking). Had the email arrived without the congratulations part you're probably more likely to hit the delete key.

I'm curious to know what they're going to ask in the survey. Do let us know?

It's good that they are doing all the surveys because hopefully if they process the results, they'll make changes to make things better. I wish NISA were that advanced, but I suspect that it's a smaller organisation and you need computer literate volunteers.

Offline PinkLaces

• Flooping To The Beat
  • Total GOE: 27
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2011, 11:52:49 PM »
This started in the summer.  The test chairs got an e-mail saying they would be sending out congratulatory e-mails to skaters passing tests.  If the skaters completed the survey, they would get a percentage off of anything in the store at the USFS website.  The percentage off depends on how high the test level is.  Everything under Juvenile and Silver (Dance) is 15%. Juvenile is 20%.  Senior/Gold is 40% to be used toward the Gold Medalist jackets. I don't remember all the percentages.

My DD has gotten 3 such e-mails.  2 in the summer for passing Juvenile Moves & Pre-Juvenile FS.  She just got one for passing the Foxtrot and completing the Pre-Silver Dance test.  She didn't get one when she passed the European Waltz in August.

The test chairs also got an e-mail about a graduating senior recognition program.  There are 4 levels:  Bronze, Silver, Gold, and Platinum.  There are requirements for each level.  You have to request USFS to a letter to be sent to the high school. The deadline is some time in March. There are a lot of ways to qualify.  I only remember the test requirements.  Pre-Juvenile and below was the Bronze recognition.  Juvenile through Junior was a Silver recognition.  Senior or Gold dance tests are gold.  Platinum was for national and international competitiors.

Offline MadMac

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 38
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2011, 04:43:39 AM »
I wonder if they are also sending the surveys/coupons to adult skaters/testers?

Offline drskater

• Blade Runner
  • Total GOE: 50
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2011, 02:19:57 PM »
yes

Offline Purple Sparkly

• CER-A
  • Compulsory Figures
  • Total GOE: 65
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2011, 02:37:55 PM »
I got one of these e-mails in August when I finished the Pre-Bronze dance test (I tested the first two dances years ago and the Swing in August).  It was 10% off.  I got another a few weeks ago for passing the Bronze dance test with 15% off. Based on PinkLaces' post, I should pass a few more dances or something else higher level so I can get a higher percentage off of the Adult Skating jacket that I want.

Offline Doubletoe

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 139
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2011, 07:50:06 PM »
Looks like they are trying to figure out their retention rate at each test level and come up with ways to keep more skaters active in USFSA. . .

Offline CaraSkates

• Doing the Fiesta Tangle!
  • Total GOE: 367
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2011, 08:56:48 PM »
I received an email with a survey in it at the end of August when I passed Novice MIF. I think I got 25% off in the store for completing the survey? It was fairly brief, maybe 5 minutes of my time. I had just assumed that it was something US Figure Skating was doing for the highest level tests (mine was worded a little differently then the one posted above) but it's great to hear they are doing it for all levels!

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2011, 08:10:19 AM »
Interesting that they staggered the discounts based on test level.
-- Isk8NYC --