You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: usfs card info  (Read 3813 times)

Offline sk8tergirl

• Under the Edge
  • Total GOE: 0
usfs card info
« on: December 24, 2014, 08:21:44 AM »
I figure skate, but don't have a coach/club. (I don't want to test/compete). I skate at "freestyle friendly" public sessions right now, but believe that to "legally" use figure skating ice,  (we have "walk-on" ice in the area), I'm supposed to technically have a card for liability reasons/insurance. (If I am wrong about this, please correct me.) Also, I would need a card to go to any Adult Camp. (Went to LP once and loved it!!! So much fun!!!)  :D My question is: Can I join USFS as "unattached" without a club/coach?  I was a member once several years ago so I have a # (which I guess I keep for life), but I no longer belong to the club or take lessons. Does anyone know if I can get the card without club/coach?

Offline Clarice

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 68
Re: usfs card info
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2014, 08:51:33 AM »
Yes, it is possible to join USFS as an individual member.  I'm failing at cut-and-paste here, but the applicable rule is MR 5.03 in the Rule Book, which is available on line at www.usfigureskating.org .  You can also apply for membership on line.  Annual dues for an individual member are $120.  The USFS membership year begins on July 1, and dues are not prorated.  You can join now, but you'll have to re-up by July 1 of next year even though you won't have had a full year of membership yet.  You'll get your registration card. a subscription to SKATING magazine, and a copy of the current Rule Book.

Offline lutefisk

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 153
    • On Thin Ice
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2014, 09:44:40 AM »
In some cases annual dues are a bit less expensive if you go through a rink's figure skating club.  I think, although I may be wrong on this point, but even if you move away, your membership number is associated with your original club unless you ask to have your affiliation moved to a new one.

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2014, 10:35:47 AM »
In some cases annual dues are a bit less expensive if you go through a rink's figure skating club.

Agreed - with the discount I get for volunteering, I pay less for membership through my club than I would as an individual (though to be honest, I think it's a bit ludicrous that USFS individual membership is so high - the dues paid by a club for each member are nowhere near that number).  There are often benefits to joining a club as well, so it's worth checking into :)

Offline Bill_S

• Over the Edge
  • Total GOE: 369
  • Whack! Bam! Ouch!
    • Bill's skating pages
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2014, 10:36:52 AM »
In some cases annual dues are a bit less expensive if you go through a rink's figure skating club.

I'd say! Our local rink's club charges only $55 per year for club/USFS membership. Another benefit here is that punch cards for ice time drop from $60 to $50 each if you are a member.

They make it hard NOT to join.
Bill Schneider

Offline sk8tergirl

• Under the Edge
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2014, 12:14:58 PM »
Thanks. :)  I didn't realize it wasn't prorated. I will probably join in July of next year as individual member so I get the full year. (If I do go to LP Camp this year it wouldn't be until Aug anyways.)

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2014, 12:29:17 PM »
but believe that to "legally" use figure skating ice,  (we have "walk-on" ice in the area), I'm supposed to technically have a card for liability reasons/insurance. (If I am wrong about this, please correct me.) Also, I would need a card to go to any Adult Camp.

What you need to use figure skating ice depends entirely on the rink.
What you need to go to a camp depends entirely on the camp.

None of the rinks I have regularly skated at require membership. They week-long clinics and most of the classes I attended were run through a rink and did not require membership.

However, club-run sessions often require membership. Some require that the club is your home club.

So before wasting money on the club, maybe you could have someone make an anonymous call to whomever runs the sessions and camps.

That said, clubs, when they are well run, can be very good things.

Offline sk8tergirl

• Under the Edge
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2014, 12:46:22 PM »
What you need to use figure skating ice depends entirely on the rink.
What you need to go to a camp depends entirely on the camp.

None of the rinks I have regularly skated at require membership. They week-long clinics and most of the classes I attended were run through a rink and did not require membership.

However, club-run sessions often require membership. Some require that the club is your home club.

For some reason, I was under the impression that clubs want to see the card (usfs or isi) for insurance in case you are injured on club ice. Public sessions seem to be "skate at your own risk," (not sure why this doesn't just apply to clubs also). It might be like you said where it depends on a specific club's policy.

Offline Query

• Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2014, 01:24:16 PM »
Only by asking, or having a friend ask, can you find out. BTW, if they require membership, it might be specific - USFS clubs don't always accept an ISI memberships, membership in a different USFS club, or individual memberships, for session purposes.

Most freestyle sessions near DC are run by rinks, not clubs.

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2014, 01:59:58 PM »
Club-run freestyle sessions are more likely to require a membership card than rink-run freestyle sessions.  Rnks in some areas of the U.S. do ask for a card to discourage skaters who might be a hazard on the ice, such as rank beginners.  This is more likely in areas with a large figure skating population and limited I e, which means "all level" freestyles in lieu of separate high/low/Moves/dance/etc. sessions.

Check with the rink's figure skating director about the requirement.  You might be able to take out a $25-ish Basic Skills membership with the rink's program or an individual ISI membership for $15.  The individual usfsa or club/usfsa memberships are pricey and not worth it unless you're going to test or compete.

Clubs tend to want the membership for insurance purposes so if the Club runs the freestyles, ask the membership chair about the options.  They may be able to register you as a Basic Skills member if it is required.

To be honest, most rink clerks don't bother checking for cards, even if it is posted.  If you look like you know what you're doing when you stop to pay/punch, they won't blink.  I was only "proofed" once-it was in Colorado.

one major caveat: self-taught skaters can be downright dangerous to skate with on any session.  You would do well to be honest with yourself and correct any dangerous habits (skating backwards without watching where you're going, for example,) learn the rules, observe some sessions, and be considerate of other skaters.
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline techskater

• Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 64
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2014, 11:03:37 PM »
I think, although I may be wrong on this point, but even if you move away, your membership number is associated with your original club unless you ask to have your affiliation moved to a new one.
  This is untrue.  I changed clubs and my number carried over.  The only thing was the new club wanted to make sure I was a member in good standing of the previous club

Offline sk8tergirl

• Under the Edge
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2014, 08:41:19 AM »
Thanks everybody!  :) I will look into the different options. I don't test/compete, but I had fun at LP Adult Camp, and might like to do some similar camps in the future so card might eventually be needed.