You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Skaters who don't tie their boots  (Read 4467 times)

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
Skaters who don't tie their boots
« on: October 26, 2014, 06:11:14 PM »
A skater, age about 17 or 18, was falling a lot at the rink I play rink guard at, and wouldn't leave the boards. I was concerned he would hurt himself.

The boots were obviously loose, as is almost always the case when someone constantly falls or hangs onto the board forever. I urged him to lace tighter, and after that failed, to get smaller boots. The problem persisted.

I finally offered to retie his boots. When I did, I realized he had left the laces untied.

Not surprisingly, he had fewer problems after I tied them...

I really didn't know what to say, as I didn't want to offend a customer. I decided to say nothing to the him.

I'm not sure if that was the right thing. There is a delicate balance between keeping the customer happy and keeping him safe.

Offline 4711

• Punching Out Boots
  • Total GOE: 3
Re: Skaters who don't tie their boots
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2014, 06:16:23 PM »
You are also one to encounter the new generation of kids who were raised on the fantastic new 'no tie' shoes....he might very well not have known how to! Or had any idea that could affect the function of the footware.
:blush: ~ I should be writing~ :blush:

Offline jlspink22

• Gamified Figure Skater!
  • Total GOE: 9
Skaters who don't tie their boots
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2014, 06:57:20 PM »
I see this same thing EVERY weekend. That and the laces to the ankle but not above. A few times when the kid looked harmless I've mentioned that you have to tie them all the way up tight, but they rarely ever listen.

Offline Clarice

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 68
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2014, 08:04:11 PM »
Rink signage could help address the problem.  I've been thinking about suggesting it at our rink.

Offline Query

• mgrunes.com
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2014, 06:10:17 PM »
My boss doesn't like signs. Probably thinks signs create a less fun atmosphere.

Offline Doubletoe

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 139
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2014, 07:10:15 PM »
Helping someone to avoid severe injury is always the right thing to do.  If they don't appreciate it, that's their problem.  It truly is amazing, though, isn't it?  I always see kids--even teenagers--with loose or only half-laced skates and neither they nor their parents make the connection between the loose lacing and the skater's inability to balance on or off the ice.  Not long ago, I stepped in and told a mother her daughter's skates needed to be laced much more snugly and all the way up.  I was just afraid she was going to kill herself!

Offline AgnesNitt

• Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2014, 07:37:44 PM »
I've seen teens with laces dragging on the ice. I don't really want to get involved.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline Christy

• AOSS Member
  • Total GOE: 103
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2014, 07:51:12 PM »
Surely the best option would be for the skate rental staff to ask if help with lacing is required when they hand the skates out? They could also help with sizing too. Although I'm not sure if that would have any impact on insurance.

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2014, 09:01:12 PM »
I help kids all the time with their skates and laces - teenagers, kids and adults - I don't care - there are WAY too many accidents waiting to happen - in our busy mall rink I think the EMTs get called every day!

It also helps people to enjoy skating more if the equipment is at least tied - I know the rentals generally have TERRIBLE edges and don't fit so well but having the boots tied all the way is essential.

Offline Doubletoe

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 139
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2014, 06:22:33 PM »
Surely the best option would be for the skate rental staff to ask if help with lacing is required when they hand the skates out? They could also help with sizing too. Although I'm not sure if that would have any impact on insurance.

I'm sure all these kids and teens would say no, they don't need any help.  The problem is that they don't KNOW that they don't know how lace them up correctly, LOL!  I think every time a rink employee hands over a pair of rental skates, he should just say, "Make sure you lace them snugly and all the way up."

Offline AgnesNitt

• The ice doesn't care
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2014, 06:25:34 PM »
I'm sure all these kids and teens would say no, they don't need any help.  The problem is that they don't KNOW that they don't know how lace them up correctly, LOL!  I think every time a rink employee hands over a pair of rental skates, he should just say, "Make sure you lace them snugly and all the way up."

At my rink I've seen the boots laced to the top but the boots have missing hooks and eyelets. Sadly, most rinks don't care if the boots are crap. However, I think if hooks are mission or eyelets are pulled out, then the customer should have enough sense to hand them back.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2014, 06:42:16 PM »
However, I think if hooks are mission or eyelets are pulled out, then the customer should have enough sense to hand them back.

Honestly I'm surprised the rink doesn't address this - it becomes a liability issue when the rented equipment is actually unsafe to use.

Offline AgnesNitt

• The ice doesn't care
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2014, 07:34:55 PM »
Honestly I'm surprised the rink doesn't address this - it becomes a liability issue when the rented equipment is actually unsafe to use.

I don't disagree, but it's like renting a care with only 3 wheels.It's so obvious you should have rejected it.

That reminds me, I'm still mad at Hertz.

Offline Query

• mgrunes.com
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2014, 06:49:21 PM »
I don't disagree, but it's like renting a care with only 3 wheels. It's so obvious you should have rejected it.

That reminds me, I'm still mad at Hertz.

You let them rent you a car with 3 wheels?  :angel:

I hope it was something cool like this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:1885Benz.jpg

Offline AgnesNitt

• The ice doesn't care
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2014, 07:37:03 PM »
You let them rent you a car with 3 wheels?  :angel:

I hope it was something cool like this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:1885Benz.jpg

Naw Iasked for a tollway pass and they didnt give me one, but told me they had then charged me for the tolls plus a handling fee

Offline accordion

• Defrosting Da Toes
  • Total GOE: 15
  • Skating about downunder...
    • Bobbins, Bikes and Blades
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2014, 12:18:31 AM »
Miss 14 had her birthday party at the rink. She insisted on each of her friends having their boots checked by me so that their laces would be firm enough.  :love: She also insisted that one of them kept her helmet on after the official party time was over. (Rink policy - helmets on party goers - hardly anyone skates here in Aus).
Will do almost anything for pizza.
http://bobbinsbikesandblades.com/wordpress/