You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Too far forward?  (Read 1412 times)

Offline littlerain

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 11
Too far forward?
« on: October 25, 2014, 12:32:41 AM »
I've been noticing that I can be too far forward on my left blade... Was definitely getting stuck on my toe pick while spinning, and must say it is still a bit scratchy sometimes. Sometimes I have scratchy threes on that side. I don't have this problem on the right so I'm wondering... How do I know if it is something with my balance vs blade alignment?!

Offline irenar5

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 61
Re: Too far forward?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2014, 04:14:05 PM »
If you are a counterclockwise skater and land on the right foot, left foot issues are very normal.  I have to practice skills on the left foot a lot more to get them the same quality as the right foot.   I find that the turns on the rocker of the left foot are a lot less comfortable than the right foot, and toe scratching is the most common issue. 

I originally thought the blade position was to blame when I was learning twizzles and the left foot was abysmal!  My skate technician and I spend 2 hours  moving the blade from one extreme to the other one session, because I was convinced it was the blade.  Guess what?  Me all along :-(  At  least double practice on the left foot helps!

Offline littlerain

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 11
Too far forward?
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2014, 05:02:08 PM »
Lol! I guess I should stand around on my left foot and see where I balance. I suspect I balance more forward on that one to start with! I guess I just was hoping there would be an easy way to tell! Lol

Offline WaltzJump413

• Doing the Fiesta Tangle!
  • Total GOE: 181
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2014, 10:09:44 PM »
I agree with irenar5. I'm a CCW skater, and just about everything's harder on my left foot.  (Especially three-turns).

I can't really help, but I can commiserate. ;)
ISI Freestyle 2 as of 11/3/14

"A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new." – Albert Einstein

"I can do all things through Christ Who gives me strength."- Philippians 4:13

Offline saje

• Diamond Blocking
  • Total GOE: 7
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2014, 11:26:50 AM »
If you're having issues with blade alignment, you'll probably notice it in ALL of your skating (stroking, gliding, turns, spins, jumps) and not just 1-2 select skills.  When I had a blade that needed to be adjusted, it skidded on EVERYTHING (even backwards crossovers and waltz jump take-offs, which I can do in my sleep) and I could feel that the alignment was physically off.

If you're only scratchy on spins and three-turns, it's probably just you - especially if they're new skills.  It took me a really long time to learn how to NOT scratch on my three turns and I still get stuck on my toe pick when I'm working on new or particularly challenging spins.  Your body is still figuring out how to align itself and balance correctly.  With more practice, it should get better!!
Current Skating Projects:
-Intermediate MITF (still...)
-Double toes + double loops
-Getting my camel back