You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: When did you start wearing skirts/leggings etc?  (Read 40217 times)

Offline Vicki7

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 27
Re: When did you start wearing skirts/leggings etc?
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2012, 11:38:12 AM »
See this is where skating at a new rink is kind of annoying - there's no way to check what the "norm" is. I skate on public, so hopefully my new outfit doesn't look completely ridiculous. I might try it out if I go to the rink tomorrow.
Started lessons again: 6/11/2012
Currently working on Skate UK Level 8, and beginning to enter the world of ice dance :)

My skating blog: http://eye-see-the-ice.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2012, 11:55:34 AM »
I bet you will be fine, and you'll feel more like a 'skater', which always helps practice go better.

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
  • Total GOE: 49
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2012, 02:02:37 PM »
See this is where skating at a new rink is kind of annoying - there's no way to check what the "norm" is. I skate on public, so hopefully my new outfit doesn't look completely ridiculous. I might try it out if I go to the rink tomorrow.

Skating at a new rink is the best way to make the change. No one knows you, so no one is going to comment on what you're wearing. They'll just accept it, so you don't need to feel embarassed. I started wearing a skirt when I changed rink (and country). It was so much easier then to carry on when I came back to my home rink.

Offline PinkLaces

• Flooping To The Beat
« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2012, 04:16:15 PM »
I mostly wear yoga pants from Target.  Inexpensive and I've only caught and ripped one pair.  They have 3 different styles of fittedness.  I also really like the compression leggings from Old Navy.  I have 2 pair of those.  They have a zipper at the ankle and fit snuggly over the boot.  I tried those running skorts that were popular for awhile with tights.  Did not like that at all.  I only wear dresses for testing or competition.

Offline Icicle

• Pairs Partner
  • Total GOE: 7
« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2012, 05:09:10 PM »
For practices I wear skating pants that go over the boots. However they get caught in the hooks of the boots and ripped easily. I'm looking into getting some tights now so I can have a change of clothes. It's funny though how whenever I go shopping, I start looking for something I can skate in.

Offline Janie

• Doing the Fiesta Tangle!
  • Total GOE: 45
    • Jumps and falls of an adult figure skater
« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2012, 06:04:05 PM »
For practices I wear skating pants that go over the boots. However they get caught in the hooks of the boots and ripped easily. I'm looking into getting some tights now so I can have a change of clothes. It's funny though how whenever I go shopping, I start looking for something I can skate in.
Oooohhhh!!! So that's why I have a hole at the bottom of the pant leg, where it goes over the boot! Duh, how did that not occur to me. :sweat I'm looking into getting some leggings now so I can have a change of clothes too!
My figure skating blog! http://janieskate.blogspot.com/

Offline techskater

• Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 64
« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2012, 08:05:15 PM »
  You mean the Chloe Noels rip on the hooks?  Hmm.

Offline Vicki7

• Freestyle Skater
« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2012, 12:50:00 PM »
Well, I did it!

I wore my nice, warm wooly leggings, over a pair of ordinary ones (wool is super itchy lol!) and a nice long sweater - and guess what? It felt so good! My coach even commented (I wasn't having a lesson but she was at the rink) and said that it's a good sign - shows I'm thinking like a skater and it shows I'm committed.

She also said, when the time comes, we can look at slightly longer skating skirts - I didn't realize there were different lengths! Overall, I'm super happy :) Roll on Thursday for my actual lesson :)
Currently working on Skate UK Level 8, and beginning to enter the world of ice dance :)

Offline taka

• Kid Magnet
  • Total GOE: 67
« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2012, 01:13:49 PM »
She also said, when the time comes, we can look at slightly longer skating skirts - I didn't realize there were different lengths! Overall, I'm super happy :) Roll on Thursday for my actual lesson :)
Skirts for free tend to be shorter so as not to get tangled up in them while jumping etc. Dance skirts tend to be longer (more like just above knee length) as there is less risk of getting tangled in them while competing.

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2012, 01:44:02 PM »
Great job Vicki!  Glad you worked up the nerve to wear them.  Cool that your coach noticed too! Going out in public in leggings was a challenge for me.

I skate in the mall, and I actually feel more comfortable walking to target in a skating dress (with a jacket on) than leggings, because I figure anyone shopping just thinks I'm in a costume, where with the leggings I worry they think it is an actual outfit- and outside of exercise, I have no business in leggings!

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2012, 03:49:48 AM »
I skate in the mall, and I actually feel more comfortable walking to target in a skating dress (with a jacket on) than leggings, because I figure anyone shopping just thinks I'm in a costume, where with the leggings I worry they think it is an actual outfit- and outside of exercise, I have no business in leggings!

I used to skate in a mall and put my work pants on over the top of my skating dress as the skirt was a little short, before stopping for coffee. I had a strange woman come up to me and ask me if my 4 year old dressed me! I've never been so mortified before, and I don't know what possessed her to ask.

Offline pompeiii

• Beware the Bars of Death!
  • Total GOE: 0
« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2012, 09:54:45 AM »
I'm a beginner and I usually wear fitted yoga pants. A couple weeks ago, I grabbed my black pants in the dark and threw them in my bag. When I got to the rink after work, I realized I'd grabbed my fleece riding pants instead. That said, once wearing them, I realized they were much more comfortable to wear than the yoga pants and super warm! But, I don't want to continue wearing my riding pants skating as I need them for riding in the winter (and they're not cheap to replace).

So, here starts the search for warm leggings to wear skating. Is there anywhere I can find fleece lined leggins? In particular, ones that aren't super pricey? I can't seem to find much searching online. Or some other type of warm leggings that aren't so tight? I don't really have the body for leggings...

I hate wearing tight pants but I seem to be involved with sports that call for them...

Offline iomoon

• Needs a Helmet
  • Total GOE: 6
« Reply #37 on: November 21, 2012, 01:16:46 PM »
I rarely see people wear practice dresses.  :sweat Maybe I should get a practice dress anyway. They always looks pretty.  :love:

As for undergarments showing through yoga pants/leggings, the skating safe spine pad covers mine. >_>;;

Maybe if you feel self-conscious, you can wear a long sweater over them?

Offline Janie

• Doing the Fiesta Tangle!
  • Total GOE: 45
    • Jumps and falls of an adult figure skater
« Reply #38 on: November 21, 2012, 02:30:00 PM »
I used to skate in a mall and put my work pants on over the top of my skating dress as the skirt was a little short, before stopping for coffee. I had a strange woman come up to me and ask me if my 4 year old dressed me! I've never been so mortified before, and I don't know what possessed her to ask.
How rude!!! But I don't quite understand, if your pants were over your skirt, how would it look any different to normal? Or does it puff out around the skirt?
My figure skating blog! http://janieskate.blogspot.com/

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
« Reply #39 on: November 22, 2012, 08:44:56 AM »
How rude!!! But I don't quite understand, if your pants were over your skirt, how would it look any different to normal? Or does it puff out around the skirt?

I think it was the purple sparkly velvet leotard over the pants which was the problem. I can understand thinking I looked a little odd, but I preferred having pants on than walking around with an overly short skirt.

Offline Vicki7

• Freestyle Skater
« Reply #40 on: November 22, 2012, 10:19:44 AM »
Well, something strange has happened to me, not only am I wearing a nice long top over my leggings, but there's VIDEO proof of the fact! My coach took some videos for me today - so I'm going to edit them together and put them online :)

And, I look OK in my skating clothes - bonus :)

Offline techskater

• Ice Dancer
« Reply #41 on: November 22, 2012, 10:43:40 AM »
Just don't wear obviously patterened underwear under your leggings.  I try to make sure I pick solid colors of underwear on days I skate.

A long sweater will ride up over time and get bunchy and unconfortable.  Also if you work really hard, you will probably want to take the sweater off (I am usually down to long-ish form fit tank (that won't ride up past the waist band of the pants) and leggings about 10 minutes into my session).  Over time, you will be less and less self-concious of what you wear and more and more interested in your own comfort when you skate.   :psychic:

For warmer leggings, I'd say Capezios, but they don't make them anymore.  Those were the best for warmth in a cold rink.   :'(  Now I wear Balera cotton leggings which are pretty good but NOT what my Capezios were.

Offline ChristyRN

• Salchow-a-Bunga!
  • Total GOE: 184
« Reply #42 on: November 22, 2012, 09:23:29 PM »
I must be an oddball, but I prefer to skate in dresses.  Every once in a while I go back to pants/runners tights, but spend most of the time pulling them up.  At least with a dress, I don't have to pull up all the time.  And as I said before, my rear end is covered.  and really, what is the difference in skating tights and form fitting leggings other than color?

My legs rarely ever get cold, except on the few days that the rink is frigid. My toes on the other hand, never quite get warm.
Once in his life, every man is entitled to fall madly in love with one gorgeous redhead.  (Lucille Ball)

Offline alejeather

• Ice Tourist
  • Total GOE: 23
« Reply #43 on: November 23, 2012, 12:03:17 AM »
I My toes on the other hand, never quite get warm.

Hehehe... Toes on the other hand! That turn of phrase just made me giggle.

I'm sorry your toes are always cold, though!
"Any day now" turned out to be November 14, 2014.

Offline ChristyRN

• Salchow-a-Bunga!
  • Total GOE: 184
« Reply #44 on: November 23, 2012, 07:50:13 PM »
I didn't even catch that.  I certainly did not mean the really bad pun.
Once in his life, every man is entitled to fall madly in love with one gorgeous redhead.  (Lucille Ball)

Offline lilicedreamer

• Skate Nation
  • Ice Warrior
  • Total GOE: 0
« Reply #45 on: November 26, 2012, 01:18:18 PM »
I"m basically in your shoes...too overweight to really look like everyone else in tights and cute little skirts.  So, I made some changes...first, my two ice dresses are dance dresses with long, to the knee skirts.  And to add slimness to my appearance, I use over the boot tights.  That's a good way to elongate your bottom half. 

Offline Icicle

• Pairs Partner
« Reply #46 on: November 26, 2012, 04:54:31 PM »
  You mean the Chloe Noels rip on the hooks?  Hmm.

Unfortunately, all pants do.

Offline Icicle

• Pairs Partner
« Reply #47 on: November 26, 2012, 05:00:18 PM »
The rinks where I practice are so cold that even little girls rarely wear skating dresses. I wore mine before the test, and I thought I would freeze to death.

Offline techskater

• Ice Dancer
« Reply #48 on: November 26, 2012, 08:07:11 PM »
  I haven't had a problem getting holes from my hooks with my Flowerdaze boot cuts (I've had these for 2 years) or my Balera leggings (one size too large so I can pull them over the back of my boots because they have  :love: waistband elastic), so I am trying to figure out how to justify a pair of Chloe Noels when my Flowerdaze were moderately priced (like ~ 1/2 the price of Chloe Noels) and my Baleras were down-right cheap (like $10 a pair) in comparison.

Offline TreSk8sAZ

• Blade Runner
  • Total GOE: 42
« Reply #49 on: November 26, 2012, 08:54:12 PM »

I've never had that problem with Se_ku or Bal Togs pants, and both are pulled down over the hooks.