You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Could a slightly warped blade cause problems with spins?  (Read 3845 times)

Offline DressmakingMomma

• Gamified Figure Skater!
  • Total GOE: 24
Could a slightly warped blade cause problems with spins?
« on: February 01, 2015, 05:25:58 PM »
It appears my dd's right skate blade is warped by about 32nd-16th of an inch. It 'rocks' from front to back when placed sideways on a level surface or if you flip it to the other side you can see a gap in the center - so it's bowed. If that makes sense, it's really hard to describe. Anyway, spins had been fairly easy for her but she has struggled to get her back spin for months now so I decided to take a close look at her blades today. I'm just wondering if that could be the culprit or is the back spin just really hard to get, what do you guys think?

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
Re: Could a slightly warped blade cause problems with spins?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2015, 10:38:59 PM »
It certainly could, primarily because it would effect sharpening significantly.  A blade that is not flat can't be sharpened evenly,  no matter what, the edges will be uneven along part of the blade.  I would expect though, that there would be signs of a problem other than just with backspins.

Offline lutefisk

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 153
    • On Thin Ice
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2015, 03:39:31 AM »
One way to check is to turn the boot upside down, preferable over a cobbler's anvil, and place a  steel ruler or other trusted straight edge against the side of the blade.  If the straight edge doesn't touch the side of the blade all along it's length, then the blade is warped.  Talk with a good skate technician.  The blade is probably salvageable.  There is a press-like machine which can remove minor amounts of warping. 

Offline DressmakingMomma

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2015, 10:46:40 AM »
The blade definitely bows in the center, we have a solid flat surface to check it with. We have an appointment with our skate tech this week anyway, so I'll show him and i'm sure he'll have ideas. I just wondered if it would be something that would affect skating or would a slight difference like that not really matter. I'm not a skater so I just don't know these things.

Offline Loops

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 112
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2015, 11:01:24 AM »
Yes!  It does make a difference!  Hopefully your skate tech can sort it out.  Usually the blade manufacturers will replace defective blades like that (this is worst case, if s/he doesn't have a press).  I'm guessing these are new blades?  But honestly, MK and Wilson are known for sending out warped blades, although it doesn't happen too often, and its something skate techs should check for routinely before mounting.  At least mine always did.

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2015, 11:30:19 AM »
It's very important to check for warps when the blade is new, because manufacturers won't replace it if it breaks when de-warping if it is used. (MK, Wilson, Ultima will all exchange blades at no cost that break while de-warping when new, if the dealer returns them. Not sure about other brands.)

And the check for warps should be done before AND after mounting the blade, because mounting can warp it.

It is even possible her boot bent or twisted over time in such a way as to warp the blade.

Good luck!

Offline DressmakingMomma

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2015, 01:16:14 PM »
I think they have probably warped on her current boot, as she had them on her previous boots and we moved them to her new boots late summer. She has always said they felt a little funny once mounted on these boots but she also had trouble getting her heal all the way back in the pocket, so I thought that was the problem. It wasn't until a couple of days ago that I thought to really look at them and noticed that the right blade didn't sit flat when placed on a flat surface.

I trust our skate tech, so I'll have him take a look. We bought the blades gently used to start with and have gotten a year out of them, so I won't be too upset if they need replacing - I'll still feel like we got our money's worth. I just don't want equipment issues to cause any extra challenges to an already challenging sport!

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2015, 01:17:59 PM »
Just a little story about warped blades in the "old days" - when my coach was young she walked in on her coach and another coach slamming a blade in a locker to try to get it to straighten out.

They had both skated on the world scene in the 30s...

Offline DressmakingMomma

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2015, 11:30:41 PM »
One blade was warped and our skate tech straightened it right out. Now to hope that magically helps her get her elusive backspin  ;D

Offline DressmakingMomma

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2015, 10:09:13 PM »
Guess who got around more then twice on her backspin today!! That kid is so sensitive to her equipment being just right.

Offline littlerain

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 11
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2015, 01:59:44 AM »
Yay!! Glad that seems to have solved it!