You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Skates are all wrong!!! - fsf  (Read 7314 times)

Offline JimStanmore

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 384
Skates are all wrong!!! - fsf
« on: September 02, 2010, 11:29:35 PM »
toepickdes
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post Title: Skates are all wrong!!!
Posted: 10-12-2007, 12:17 AM

Hey guys, I've been here for a while but haven't really posted anything yet...I just read. So hi!!!

I have some questions about my skates though.

I have Jackson Competitor stock skates, and recently I have discovered that my problem with my spins and some footwork may have everything to do with my boots and probably my blades too. I can't spin....on one foot anyway. Two foot spins seem to be just fine, but as soon as I get up on that one foot...I'm almost immediately scraping the toe pick. So my question about that is...could my rocker somehow have gotten messed up? A friend of mine (who skates and is really good) said that my rocker might have been "sawed off" during the sharpening from the rink. I didn't take them to the pro, and ever since then something's felt off.

The next thing is...

I've had my skates since about February this year, and now that they're broken in and feeling somewhat good on my feet, they've loosened up quite a bit, and just about a week ago i seemed to notice how I've never been able to touch my toes to the front of my boots. I know your big toe is supposed to barely graze the end of it, but when my skates are laced up and I try to move my toes around, I can't find it. And my toes move a lot. I swear the guy at the skate shop where I got these didn't know what he was talking about when he sized up my feet for my skates. I did my own investigating and figured out (finally!!! yay!!!) that my skates are half a size too big. Apparently I'm supposed to be in a 7.5. So my theory is that has something to do with my crappy non-centered scratch spins, and floppy jumps because I feel like I have all this space in my toes + the length of the toe pick to jump off of. It's frustrating!!!

So at last night's skate session I did an experiment (and probably not the safest one) and got my toes into the front of my boots. They felt so good like that! And the pressure spots I had been feeling before hand had disappeared. My skates felt like a part of my feet...and not the huge boats like I swear I've been skating on all this time. The only problem was I now had a space behind my heel. So I put my socks behind my feet to keep them from sliding back and I skated in them like that. I'm happy to report I mostly got my scratch spin back!!! I think it's only because my foot was properly lined up with the sweet spot. But I still think my blades are messed up because there was still some toepick grazing (although not as much as before)...and some of my footwork was even more polished.

Now I'm convinced it's time for some boots and blades that actually fit.

So...should I go with some properly sized stock boots? Or should I go all out for a custom fitting with the right blades? I have the Ultima Mirage blades and I'm not so sure I like those. But that could just be because the rocker might be gone now. I don't know where to start this whole process!! We have a local pro out here that handles a lot of skate sharpenings and fittings so I'd totally trust him as my friends have gone through him and love his work.

Sorry this post is so loaded! Man I can really talk a lot.

Any help would be greatly appreciated though!!!

*Des* 

Thin-Ice
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted: 10-12-2007, 03:54 AM

If you have someone you really trust to fit you for new blades and boots, and who is trusted by people who you say know what they are talking about, I think you'd be better off to take advice from that person than people who can't see your feet or your skating.

While everyone here would be happy to help, without actually seeing you and your skating, it's hard to make a good recommendation. We can only tell you what we have found works for us.. and if you check any of the earlier threads on buying new boots or blades, you'll see we all have different needs for our particular goals and quirks and abilities. 

Morgail

Posted: 10-12-2007, 09:03 AM

I would definitely go that pro. If he really knows what he's doing, he'll be able to tell you whether you need customs. Of course, you can get customs if you want - but you can save money by getting stock boots if you don't really need customs. On most stock boots, you can pay a little extra and get modifications, like a split width.
He can also probably advise you on your blades. He should be able to look at them and tell you if the previous sharpener messed something up. I'm always amazed at what good sharpeners can see on blades. All I can see is metal 

slusher

Posted: 10-12-2007, 10:10 AM

I had Jackson Competitors, my feet changed as I skated over the years and they stopped fitting properly. The blades weren't bad, although had gotten flat from sharpening, but as my foot shifted in the boot the spin spot of my foot was no longer aligned over the spin spot of the blade. Doing jumps was feeling like I was having to roll uphill to get to the pick. So, I think that this is what you're experiencing, that the boots and blades themselves aren't all wrong, but they're just not right for you.

A proper boot fitter will get you into boots that fit snugly, and yes it's okay for your toes to be able to wiggle but your heel should be firmly in the boot. The next step and this is harder to find, is to get the proper blade that will have the rocker correctly under your foot for you. I got new skates, and there was a definite change in blade size, they're smaller, but the rocker is right where it should be.

So you could be okay with getting a smaller size stock boot like competitor, but don't go with the boot and blade combo, buy them separately and then have them mounted for you. Custom boots are good, and will have the best fit ever, but there could be a stock boot that works just as well. Sounds like you have a good skate pro which is wonderful to hear. 

toepickdes

Posted: 10-12-2007, 11:52 AM

Thanks everyone! Your advice is very helpful.

I don't think I'll need customs, but if I do, there probably won't be too much tweaking that needs to be done. I'm told that my feet are pretty average and will most likely be easy to get a good solid fit in a nice stock boot. So I think that's what I'll do. The only thing I care about is that everything is fitted where it should be! My current skates just feel really awkward on my feet, and they actually feel like they're too big, so I think it's time to get something good!

Thanks! 

doubletoe

Posted: 10-12-2007, 02:41 PM

I agree that it is time for new boots. As for the blades, get them looked at by someone who is reputed to be a GOOD blade sharpener (go to three of the best figure skaters you see at your rink and ask them who sharpens their blades). If the rocker can be re-shaped, let him do it. If not, get new blades. I would recommend a blade with a 7' rocker because it's easier to find your sweet spot on spins. All of the MK blades have a 7' rocker and the MK Professional is probably the best value for the quality of the blade. The Coronation Ace is practically the same blade, so buy whichever one you can find cheaper. Do not get the Coronation Comet, which is the flattest blade on the market (8.5' rocker).

Whoever looks at your blades can probably recommend a good boot fitter to you as well (and it may very well be the same person who is good at both). Keep in mind that if you buy new boots, they probably won't fit your current blades anyway, so you may just have to buy both, regardless of the condition of your blades. 

Kim to the Max

Posted: 10-12-2007, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubletoe 
I agree that it is time for new boots. As for the blades, get them looked at by someone who is reputed to be a GOOD blade sharpener (go to three of the best figure skaters you see at your rink and ask them who sharpens their blades). If the rocker can be re-shaped, let him do it. If not, get new blades. I would recommend a blade with a 7' rocker because it's easier to find your sweet spot on spins. All of the MK blades have a 7' rocker and the MK Professional is probably the best value for the quality of the blade. The Coronation Ace is practically the same blade, so buy whichever one you can find cheaper. Do not get the Coronation Comet, which is the flattest blade on the market (8.5' rocker).

Whoever looks at your blades can probably recommend a good boot fitter to you as well (and it may very well be the same person who is good at both). Keep in mind that if you buy new boots, they probably won't fit your current blades anyway, so you may just have to buy both, regardless of the condition of your blades.

I would ask the person at your pro shop about which blade you should be using based on your level/body/how you skate. I have comets and have been skating on them since they were recommended by the person who fitted my skates and while it is a flatter blade, for some people, it is a better choice. Don't close off your options, but talk to the folks who specialize in fitting skates. 

doubletoe

Posted: 10-12-2007, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim to the Max 
I would ask the person at your pro shop about which blade you should be using based on your level/body/how you skate. I have comets and have been skating on them since they were recommended by the person who fitted my skates and while it is a flatter blade, for some people, it is a better choice. Don't close off your options, but talk to the folks who specialize in fitting skates.

That's true; thanks for bringing that up. I had just been thinking about what she said about having trouble on spins and having too much toepick on the ice (maybe not enough rocker), in which case a flatter blade might not be a good idea. But a good pro will be able to take everything into consideration and suggest the best boot and blade. 

Skate@Delaware

Posted: 10-13-2007, 08:05 AM

It does sound as though your boots are too big. Time for new ones! If your blades are messed up (sounds like mine) you could get some with the 7' rocker like Aces or something similar and man will you be able to spin!

Until then, try lacing your boots a bit tighter across your foot. When you spin, stay down in the knee longer until you are centered and try raising your toes and heel-it forces your weight onto the ball of your foot which keeps it off of your toepick...do all this before you raise up and lock your knee. See if that helps.

As long as your heel is not slipping a lot, you should be ok with stock sizes. 

sue123

Posted: 10-13-2007, 09:59 AM

I had a similar problem with my Competitors. After a while, they got so big in the heel, that when I pointed my toe, my foot would almost slip out hte boot. To avoid this, I had to tie them really tight, only then I had no circulation in my foot. I went to a fitter and got a different brand, in a half size smaller, and new blades and now my foot doesn't slip at all. 

toepickdes

Posted: 10-16-2007, 02:28 PM

You guys are so awesome! This information is so helpful. Does anyone know much about the Ultima Mirage blade? Just from how it feels on my skate, I'd swear it was almost totally flat. I don't really remember a time when I was able to find my sweet spot. I'm always tipping up on my toepick or scraping too much edge when I try to spin. It's so frustrating.

I did what some of you have already suggested and talked to the best skaters I know about who does their skates. I asked about 7 or 8 people (including pro. coaches) and they've all mentioned the same person, which is the same person I was referred to in the beginning. So I think I'll give him a call finally and see what can be done about my skates. I want to spin again! It's so frustrating not being able to! And my jumps are really sad because I can't get that momentum to throw myself into the air...all because my pick is too far out in front of me. 

Skittl1321

Posted: 10-17-2007, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toepickdes 
You guys are so awesome! This information is so helpful. Does anyone know much about the Ultima Mirage blade? Just from how it feels on my skate, I'd swear it was almost totally flat. I don't really remember a time when I was able to find my sweet spot. I'm always tipping up on my toepick or scraping too much edge when I try to spin. It's so frustrating.

The Ultima Mirage is definetly not flat, unless it has been ruined by a bad, or a lot of sharpenings. I went from a recreational blade to the Mirage and my spins and turns improved by leaps and bounds (not to mention my jumps since I had a real toe pick). My coach is encouraging me to go to an Ultima Protege, but he says the Mirage is a huge improvement over the the Mark IV many kids have.

I'm definetly able to find a "sweet spot" on the mirage for my spins, so while it may not be the blade for you- it's not a horrible blade for low freestyle. Lots of skaters at my rink use it successfully through an axel. 

kimberley801

Posted: 10-22-2007, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toepickdes 
I did what some of you have already suggested and talked to the best skaters I know about who does their skates. I asked about 7 or 8 people (including pro. coaches) and they've all mentioned the same person, which is the same person I was referred to in the beginning.

Could you send me a private message on who you recommend?? I'm in SLC too and in desparate need to get better skates (currently in recreational skates and starting Freestyle 1 - waltz and half flip jumps. Coach definitely recommends new boots and blades). Thanks so much for your help! Good luck with finding skates!