You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Recommendation on Wide Figure Skates?  (Read 2340 times)

Offline purpledream

• Wearing Rental Skates
  • Total GOE: 0
Recommendation on Wide Figure Skates?
« on: August 20, 2015, 08:33:08 AM »
Hello everyone! All help is appreciated!

Im currently wearing 5.5 C jacksons freestyles, which to be honest hurts so much now after 8 months off ice. Ive previously had my right foot bunion punched out (so it looks punched out lump from the inner side)

However, I think after 8 months my feet has changed and the boots dont fit that well anymore :( Hurts soooo much when I skate that I dont anymore (not helping my skills at all!)

I've recently tried out Wifa boots at London, 4C deluxe champ but sadly they seemed a little tight around the ball/midfoot. (although my measurements are about wifa 4, width 23.5 )

Due to the lack of range in my country, i might have to resort to online buying and trying of boots - woes -

Does anyone know which brands of boots are wider? I've heard some UK pro shops recommended edea (as they can go up to D/E widths) but just wanted more opinions before i venture into the horrible and scary thought of online buying skates TT-TT

ETA: just wanted to add that one of my local pro shop closed!!! D: and I am left without a shop to punch out my boots (cries). So my desperation to make things comfy or else it would be good bye skating for a long long while D: sobs.

Thanks in advance!

Offline PhysicsOnIce

• Wearing Blade Guards on the Ice
  • Total GOE: 292
Re: Recommendation on Wide Figure Skates?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2015, 05:45:04 AM »
Quick question: Where are you located? In the UK? Europe?
Let your heart and soul guide your blades

Offline sampaguita

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 44
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2015, 06:06:06 AM »
Jackson is known for wide skates. Maybe you can email them and have the width customized? They make skates in D and E widths as well.

Offline Loops

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 112
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2015, 10:45:10 AM »
I tried on a friend's Belati's the other day, and they're now on my list to try next time I go skate shopping.  In Europe at least they seem relatively easy to come by.  I'm a C forefoot though (and an A/AA heel), and I don't know if Belati's come in different widths.

I have similar pain to you, and at the moment am managing the forefoot pain with different lacing.  I started another thread about it in June-ish and I have some pictures to share, once I get them downloaded.  It won't be magic, but might keep you on the ice until you can get new skates.  AgnesNitt on her blog "The Ice doesn't care" also has a very drastic solution.

Jackson's might be your best bet.  I feel like Edea's might also come in different widths, at least here in Europe.  It would help to know where you are; perhaps there's someone on here who can help with a fitter recommendation.  You mention London in your original post.....there are shops in the UK that can help you.

Good luck!

ETA: here's the link to the other post: http://skatingforums.com/index.php?topic=6703.msg81003#msg81003

Offline JHarer

• Pairs Partner
  • Total GOE: 34
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2015, 01:41:29 PM »
Try purchasing a men's boot but customized with white leather. That will give you extra room in the toe box. You just have to figure out how to convert the size from women's to men's.

Offline nicklaszlo

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 221
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2015, 07:39:15 PM »
You can buy your own boot punch on line.  I have one.

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2015, 08:07:41 PM »
You can buy your own boot punch on line.  I have one.

Same here - after leaving my daughters boots to be punched at the rink every week for nearly a month, I decided I would make more sense to just have my own, then I can punch and re-punch the ankles/toes until she stops complaining :)

I've used them on my boots too.