You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: For Sale: Ultima Matrix 1 Supreme, Synchro and Dance blades  (Read 2376 times)

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
For Sale: Ultima Matrix 1 Supreme, Synchro and Dance blades
« on: September 03, 2013, 03:15:52 PM »
For sale:

1. One pair of used (some scratches, but still serviceable) 9-3/4" Jackson Ultima Matrix 1 chassis. These are lightweight aluminum and mount on your boots the same way as most figure skating blades. (If you already have a Matrix chassis, now you can mount this chassis on a second pair of boots, so you can reserve a stiff pair of boots for Freestyle, and less stiff pair for another discipline.) I think the chassis were about $300 new.

2. Three pair of runners - the sharp part of the blade. These bolt into the above chassis. Included are:

A. One pair of Jackson Ultima Supreme runners. These are elite level Freestyle blades. Used 2 - 3 months, and resharpened once or twice. Most of the lifetime remains. Modern Matrix 2 Supreme blades retail for about $500.

B. One pair of Jackson Ultima Synchro runners. These are elite level Synchro blades. Used once or twice (I forget), essentially new. Original factory edge. Modern Matrix 2 Synchro blades retail for about $360 (I think), if they are still available.

C. One pair of Jackson Ultima Dance runners. These are elite level Dance blades. Either unused, or used once or twice (I forget), essentially new. Original factory edge. Modern Matrix 2 Dance blades retail for about $450.

D. One additional pair of Jackson Ultima Dance runners. Well used, drag pick ground off. Completely useless (which is why I only said three pair), but a very expert sharpener could perhaps reshape these into School Figure blades.

I will mount which ever pair you want in the chassis, and ship the other three in original jackson display boxes.

Because of the lightweight aluminum chassis, these are comparable in weight to the modern Jackson Ultima Matrix 2 system (which substituted 3 permanently glued-in screws for the 5 removable screws), and are substantially lighter than most elite level blades.

Please verify with your fitter/sharpener: That 9-3/4" is the right length for you. If you look at your current blades, the length may be marked on them. (If you are still growing, take that into account.) Also that he/she can sharpen runnered blades - they are similar in shape to the modern Jackson Ultima Matrix 2 blades. (Some sharpening machines can't handle them, or require a special jig.)

Please verify with your coach that Jackson Ultima blades are suitable for you. They have an 8' main rocker, which is less curved than the 7' main rocker used on most MK and some Wilson blades. More importantly, they also have a less curved spin rocker, and a shorter rock distance and angle between the sweet spot (the transition point between the main rocker and the spin rocker) and the toe pick. I guess it allows for faster turns and take-offs, but it may require finer motor control, better balance, and faster reflexes.

NOTE: None of these blades are suitable for beginners!

Jackson Ultima has replaced this old "Matrix 1" system with the modern "Matrix 2" system ("2" sometimes omitted). The new system does not have removable runners. Instead they glue the screws in place. This eliminates the need for TLC, but it also removed the convenience of removable runners which could be shipped back and forth to expert sharpeners (while a second pair was used in their place), and which could be transported in checked baggage while the boots were carried in carry-on luggage - convenient for air travel from places where baggage inspectors sometimes refused to allow boots with mounted sharp blades to be hand-carried.

However, it is unlikely that you will be able to find replacement runners once these wear out. (A few companies have a very few left, but it is catch as catch can, as far as size and blade style.)

Total price: $500 + shipping. If no one bites at $500, I may go for the best offer. If you are in suburban Maryland, we can meet at an ice rink for you to look.