You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: What to do when you've overdone it...  (Read 7806 times)

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
What to do when you've overdone it...
« on: October 04, 2010, 10:41:57 AM »
This happens to me all the time.  I work out strenuously and then feel the burn for the next two days with stiffness and soreness.  It's always worse on the second day.

What do you do when you've overdone it, on or off the ice?
-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright

Offline Kim to the Max

• Ice is the Vice
  • Total GOE: 72
Re: What to do when you've overdone it...
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2010, 10:47:18 AM »
I have had this feeling a lot the last few months from working out with my trainer. I usually try to work through it because working out actually, for me, helps to alleviate the soreness. Although, last Tuesday, I just had to muscles, which are horrible...nothing was sore, they were just jello...all of that from 100+ squats on Monday...

Also, a little Tylonol or something with an anti-inflamatory doesn't hurt :)

Good luck!!

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2010, 11:13:17 AM »
Epsom salts in a hot bath. It's old fashioned, but it works; apparently it reduces lactic acid in sore muscles.  If you can get the type that are "scented" you can also get some aromatherapy going (lavender is nice, so is eucalyptus).

In Canada, we are now able to get arnica cream. It seems to work better than many of the other analgesic creams.

If you are into pillpopping, Motrin (ibuprofen) is an actual anti-inflammatory, not just a painkiller.

Offline SillyAdultSkater

• Homologating Quadrubles
  • Total GOE: 82
  • Cleverly disguised as an adult.
    • CheapSkate
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2010, 01:38:31 PM »
This happens to me all the time.  I work out strenuously and then feel the burn for the next two days with stiffness and soreness.  It's always worse on the second day.

What do you do when you've overdone it, on or off the ice?

Tons of water and tons and tons of proteins (I'm talking chicken and tuna, not yoghurt and beans) just after the strenuous exercise. I'm not kidding, it helps take about 50% of the symptoms off it for me.
_██_
(ಠ_ృ)   Good day sir.

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
  • Total GOE: 49
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2010, 03:20:51 PM »
Epsom salts in a hot bath. It's old fashioned, but it works; apparently it reduces lactic acid in sore muscles.  If you can get the type that are "scented" you can also get some aromatherapy going (lavender is nice, so is eucalyptus).

In Canada, we are now able to get arnica cream. It seems to work better than many of the other analgesic creams.

If you are into pillpopping, Motrin (ibuprofen) is an actual anti-inflammatory, not just a painkiller.

The hot water in the bath will help relax the muscles as well.

I tend to just work through it, especially if I've got a regular skating session or something else happening. I find pulled muscles from synchro take about a week to heal cos they're inevitably ones I don't use any other time!

Offline AgnesNitt

• Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2010, 06:38:27 PM »
Advil, which I am about to knock back. Due to a confluence of schedules (we have exercise sessions provided by my employer) at work I had a half hour of low impact aerobics followed by a half hour flexibility session, followed by session after work at the Jazzercise center, with a half hour of weight lifting after that.

Just saying the person who invented Advil deserves the Nobel prize.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline kiwiskater

• Always a Flip, Never a Back Flip
  • Total GOE: 59
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2010, 11:06:58 PM »
Don't know if you get it out your way but look in the supermarket for Radox Muscle Soak, its a scented blue liquid (kinda like bubble bath but not as extreme), it works really well!

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2010, 11:58:33 PM »
I use a Chinese herbal spray named Ging Loc Tong for all my skating "injuries". With padding I barely get any bruises now, so it's usually for overworked knees or ankles. Works like a charm! :)

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2010, 04:05:39 AM »
I use a Chinese herbal spray named Ging Loc Tong for all my skating "injuries". With padding I barely get any bruises now, so it's usually for overworked knees or ankles. Works like a charm! :)

Is that a variant on Tigerbalm? I've never seen a spray version but I swear by Tigerbalm and a spray would be great for getting to those hard to reach spots on your back.

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2010, 09:41:59 AM »
Is that a variant on Tigerbalm? I've never seen a spray version but I swear by Tigerbalm and a spray would be great for getting to those hard to reach spots on your back.

Probably not related. I use Tiger Balm for mosquito bites most often, although its Chinese name implies usage for a variety of conditions.

Offline Doubletoe

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 139
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2010, 06:18:38 PM »
Stretching quads, hamstrings, calves and glutes right after a strenuous practice almost always keeps me from being stiff and sore the next day (I guess because it breaks up the lactic acid).  When I don't take the time to stretch I *really* feel it!

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2010, 10:27:26 PM »
Probably not related. I use Tiger Balm for mosquito bites most often, although its Chinese name implies usage for a variety of conditions.

Can't modify old posts so bump~

All Chinese families I know have Tiger Balm at home, but in very small 4g packaging like http://image.39.net/086/23/191425_j_00426.jpg. I asked around (people thought I am nuts) and indeed most of them use Tiger Balm for mosquito bites, stomach pains, and headaches. I will try it for skating next time!

So traditionally what does Chinese medicine offer for martial arts injuries, since that's no easier on the body than figure skating? The prevalent answer I received for trauma liniments were Medicated Wine (Die Da Jiu) and Woodlock Oil (Huo Luo You). There are many recipes out there involving a variety of natural herbs and possibly long processing time, some interesting read http://forum.kungfumagazine.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-43839.html in English.

The Ging Loc Tong spray I use is probably a variant of "medicated wine". Instruction says no ice and no heat as allegedly they limit the effectiveness... Learn something new everyday! :o

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2010, 02:01:23 AM »

So traditionally what does Chinese medicine offer for martial arts injuries, since that's no easier on the body than figure skating? The prevalent answer I received for trauma liniments were Medicated Wine (Die Da Jiu) and Woodlock Oil (Huo Luo You). There are many recipes out there involving a variety of natural herbs and possibly long processing time, some interesting read http://forum.kungfumagazine.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-43839.html in English.

The Ging Loc Tong spray I use is probably a variant of "medicated wine". Instruction says no ice and no heat as allegedly they limit the effectiveness... Learn something new everyday! :o

My coach has been arguing about drinking wine before skating for a long time, but I think that was more for it's effects on the brain than the body... I'm sure she'll be delighted to know she's discovered what the Chinese have known for centuries.

But I use tigerbalm as a variant on deep heat as it has a similar affect.

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2010, 08:10:46 AM »
You really don't want to overuse topical muscle relaxant/pain relief creams and ointments.  

While overdoses are more common in the elderly, there was a case of a teen runner who died in her sleep.
The ME's office attributed it to overuse of Icy Hot.  Apparently, the salicylates (Wintergreen oil being a key ingredient) can cause renal failure and trigger a domino effect of other body systems shutting down.

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/818242-overview
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline miraclegro

• Wobbling on new skates
  • Total GOE: 1
Re: What to do when you've overdone it,
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2011, 08:20:17 PM »
I think i have discovered that i need to stretch out a lot afterward; the days i don't, i actually lose sleep that night!  Also, being sure to take in enough fluid!