You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: What do you eat before and after?  (Read 3116 times)

Offline surlaglace

• Rink Rat
  • Total GOE: 8
What do you eat before and after?
« on: September 12, 2011, 06:53:00 PM »
Well, i usually go to ice skate at 9am and i am always hungry. What do you eat? Do you follow a diet? Thanks xxxxx

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 59
Re: What do you eat before and after?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2011, 07:05:30 PM »
My daughter just eats her normal meals (7am (not a breakfast person - today was a slice of rye toast with butter and a glass of milk, 10am light snack (apple and nuts), lunch at 12:30 (homemade mac n cheese, 3 Italian plums, celery and cherry tomatoes and 2 almond cookies and juice) the next time she eats is dinner - between 5 and 6 (tonight is grilled chicken and salad and she will have a side of couscous). Before a comp though she is never hungry (but ravenous after).

Her typical lunch is salad with different proteins (scoop of tuna, hard boiled egg, turkey, mozzarella and salami) with whole grain crackers and brie or other cheese) and fruit.  I made the pasta today as a special treat.

I pack her lunch and snack because school lunches used a lot of highly processed meat - today was hot dogs, tomorrow is pizza, then chicken nuggets - just not good enough!

Offline surlaglace

• Rink Rat
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2011, 10:10:52 PM »
Her typical lunch is salad with different proteins (scoop of tuna, hard boiled egg, turkey, mozzarella and salami) with whole grain crackers and brie or other cheese) and fruit.  I made the pasta today as a special treat.

That sounds delicious. Thanks hopskipjump (: I think i'll add to my lunch some fruits and eggs...  ;)

Offline emilayy

• Diamond Blocking
  • Total GOE: 4
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2011, 10:12:20 PM »
if i'm doing a morning session, i have a bowl of kashi go lean crunch (my fave!). never eat french toast before skating, it will not end well!
and if i'm skating in the afternoon, i have an apple or granola bar about 30-45 min before i'm on the ice. eat too soon before, and a cramp will be following you around the whole time!

Offline rosereedy

• Defrosting Da Toes
  • Total GOE: 6
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2011, 04:37:49 PM »
I have to wait about an hour to eat before I skate in the afternoons because any sooner and I feel like I weigh 400 lbs.  When I skate in the mornings, I usually eat something like a homemade low cal high protein breakfast sandwich on an english muffin.  That way it's not too much food and I still have energy to skate.  Afterwards during the week I just eat whatever I want for dinner.

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2011, 07:05:34 AM »
a) bananas
b) peanut butter
c) whole grain breads (not the pseudo-stuff that passes as wholewheat)
d) high-protein drinks for quick emergency (i.e. no time to digest a meal between school and skating)

and, honestly ...

coffee.  The caffeine hit (whether it be mental or physical) - works well. What works for one person may not work for another.

post workout, chocolate milk for the lactic acid release.

Offline turnip

• Gamified Figure Skater!
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2011, 03:13:39 PM »
I skate at 6am, and have to have breakfast first, no matter how little i feel like it, or i end up feeling horrible

Then after I'm ravenous!

Offline chriskater

• Rink Rat
  • Total GOE: 0
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2011, 02:34:20 PM »
A hyperproteic diet