You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Adult skaters interacting with "muggles"  (Read 18718 times)

Offline Bunny Hop

• AOSS Member
  • Total GOE: 37
Re: Adult skaters interacting with "muggles"
« Reply #50 on: February 20, 2012, 05:21:14 AM »
I can't spin to save my life and I've been trying to learn how for nearly 10 years.  It's not that easy.
You took the words right out of my mouth! I was never able to learn to spin when I skated as a teenager, and have found it just as difficult as an adult. So that's about five years worth of trying, and on a good day I can still barely squeeze out 3 revolutions on a two foot spin, but even that's more by accident than understanding what I'm doing. I am severely spin challenged.

Offline VAsk8r

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 18
« Reply #51 on: February 26, 2012, 02:52:54 PM »
I struggle with spins too. I think a lot of adults do. I went to an all-adult competition last year, and we all laughed because everyone, even the gold-level skaters, was having an off day with spins. The kids at my rink seem to never have off days with spins!

One of my favorite "muggle" stories was last year, with my older cousin. Our rink closes in the summer, so I drive to another rink about an hour away, near where she lives. I was going to meet her for lunch, then go skating. But 20 miles down the road, I realized I'd forgotten my skates. (In my defense, I know a lot of skaters who have done this!) I called my cousin to tell her I'd be late and she said, "well, can't you just rent some skates?"

Another time, I had a kid come up to me at a public session and say, "You're really good! Is this your first time skating?" This was two years ago, and I like to think I've improved a lot since then, but still, I was doing waltz jumps and scratch spins!

Also, one time my dad watched me skate at a freestyle session. He was particularly impressed by one of the teen skaters, who is at least intermediate. This kid is generally nice and sweet but also used to hearing a lot of compliments. After the session, my dad went up and said, "You're really good! Do you take lessons?"

The look the kid gave my dad was priceless.

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
« Reply #52 on: February 26, 2012, 06:04:41 PM »
"You're really good! Do you take lessons?"
The look the kid gave my dad was priceless.

LOL. so natural but so muggle!

Offline JSM

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 39
« Reply #53 on: February 26, 2012, 10:06:16 PM »

One of my favorite "muggle" stories was last year, with my older cousin. Our rink closes in the summer, so I drive to another rink about an hour away, near where she lives. I was going to meet her for lunch, then go skating. But 20 miles down the road, I realized I'd forgotten my skates. (In my defense, I know a lot of skaters who have done this!) I called my cousin to tell her I'd be late and she said, "well, can't you just rent some skates"?

Sadly, my husband thought the exact same way when I started skating again, and needed to take them with me whenever we left town to visit relatives.  "Why can't you just rent them, all that skating stuff takes up too much room in the car."

It took a year before he understood!

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #54 on: February 26, 2012, 10:46:43 PM »
Sadly, my husband thought the exact same way when I started skating again, and needed to take them with me whenever we left town to visit relatives.  "Why can't you just rent them, all that skating stuff takes up too much room in the car."

It took a year before he understood!

Does he know how much you spend on boots, blades, and sharpening? ;)

Offline irenar5

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 61
« Reply #55 on: February 26, 2012, 11:29:47 PM »
My husband still occasionally calls jumps "spins".  But he can now identify axel and lutz.  And he has tremendous appreciation for the "quad" as well.  He was also particularly impressed when I told him what  the score is for a single axel vs. a triple.   
Since my husband also writes my skating music, he is looking forward to writing  the "axel song"- which is the program in which I will have the axel.:-)
Of course, he is thinking it will happen next month.   :P

Offline JSM

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 39
« Reply #56 on: February 27, 2012, 12:22:09 AM »
Does he know how much you spend on boots, blades, and sharpening? ;)

Lol, he does now!  Freaked him out!

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #57 on: February 27, 2012, 08:49:47 AM »
This is a story from many years ago. It happened twice with two different people. I would be skating around the rink and someone came up to me. The conversation varied only in the words not in the meaning.

(This part varied a little) "I started skating because of you. I've been watching you skate while my child skates."

The first time this happened, I swelled with pride.

Then both people (at 2 different times) both  said the exact same thing. "I thought, 'If she can skate, I can skate."

The second time I was expecting it.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #58 on: February 27, 2012, 09:59:30 AM »
Hey- even if it stings a little bit, you were still inspiring. 

I'd take it as the compliment they meant, even if it wasn't what they said.

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #59 on: April 11, 2012, 10:23:20 AM »
Recent Washington Post article below has a few jewels that are giggle / rolleyes worthy: For a D.C. hairdresser, a love of figure skating becomes a dream fulfilled

He prepares for a jump. It’s a little jump — no double-axels here — but both of his feet leave the ground, and both of them land again..

A sport for lithe, light bodies, skating is best learned as a child, before cellulite. The proteges go to the Olympics. Everyone else goes to the U.S. Adult Figure Skating Championships.

The oldest skater here today is Elaine Evans, 72. She won’t be competing; she just skates recreationally. “As long as you’re willing to pay for those gorgeous young Russians,” you can buy happiness, she says. She gazes at her gorgeous Russian ice dancing coach/partner. “Best investment I ever made.”

Kudos and good luck to Mickey Bolek, by the way!

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #60 on: April 11, 2012, 06:54:27 PM »
Recent Washington Post article below has a few jewels that are giggle / rolleyes worthy: For a D.C. hairdresser, a love of figure skating becomes a dream fulfilled

Kudos and good luck to Mickey Bolek, by the way!

I met him at lake placid. Great funny guy.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline emitche

• Homologating Quadrubles
  • Total GOE: 10
« Reply #61 on: May 18, 2012, 03:35:29 PM »
To the, "why can't you just rent them" line of thought, it makes me think of my husband who is an avid bowler. If we are going on a road trip or anywhere with a remote chance he might bowl, he always brings his 3 ball bowling bag, which is the size and weight of a small child. I didn't understand at first, but it makes perfect sense.
Adult Pre-bronze Moves (Oct 16)
Adult Bronze Moves (May 18)

Offline Robin

• Diamond Blocking
  • Total GOE: 4
« Reply #62 on: March 27, 2013, 12:43:48 AM »
For the most part, I don't talk about skating to non-skaters in the same way I don't talk about my cats to non-cat people.