You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Am I being told what I want to hear, or the truth?  (Read 14733 times)

Offline isakswings

• Carrying Baton for Yelling At Hockey Boys
  • Total GOE: 22
Re: Am I being told what I want to hear, or the truth?
« Reply #50 on: August 30, 2011, 10:40:35 AM »
Her lessons are for 30 minutes per lesson. Regarding the group lessons and the ability to meet new friends, I would tend to agree if the same kids were in the class each week. Unfortunately, in the group classes at her rink, not only are the instructors different each week (not what is published on the schedule) but the kids in the class are different as well, so it makes it difficult for a five year old to get super friendly with a new group each class. I can only speak for the group classes here, but my overall assessment would be that they could be much more useful if they were properly managed. I think the instructors do the best they can with what they have, but it's semi-controlled chaos during those classes at the lower levels.

Oh wow. I would opt for private lessons too! That is insane and not how group lessons should run at all. Here, the kids have the same instructor and the students remain the same. You do get the occasional sub or the occasional extra student, but everything stays pretty much the same during the entire run of the session. Coaches do change from session to session, but that is pretty normal. My daughter made some friends in learn to skate. some of those kids are in her skating club and are still her friends. Anyway, now that you have described the group lesson situation further, I would probably opt out of them all together. If you do pull her out, I would talk to whomever the director of the learn to skate program is and explain why you are pulling your child out of learn to skate.

On thought... it does sound as though your daughter started skating in the summer. If that is the case, it is possible that the summer program is less organized then the fall/winter program. I know around here, it can get a little nuts and instructors do change a little more in the summer months. However, classes typically remain the same.

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 59
« Reply #51 on: August 30, 2011, 11:32:49 AM »
Our parks and rec program is a little more chaotic than LTS.  In LTS, how would kids know where they are supposed to be if they themselves are moving to a different groups each week?  It doesn't make any sense.  How do you do Alpha if you are not in an Alpha class every week? 

I know there is sometimes settling in - when dd went from one rink to another she was signed up for a class, but they promoted her mid first lesson to the next level.  It might have looked odd to someone new. 

At all our rinks (she takes group classes at several) the instructor (barring illness, needing to be at a comp) is the same for all 6-8 weeks.  At one, the staff changes every 8 weeks even in the highest level classes.  At the other, the highest level coach teaches the highest level classes each week. 

It is very important for dd's growth to take classes with girls and boy who are better/older skaters.  It gives her a regular view of how much they work and that she can do what they do.  When you are in a private lesson you are the best kid in that lesson.  It can be hard to have that extra push without regular great competition.

Offline kssk8fan

• Zamboni Driver
  • Total GOE: 12
« Reply #52 on: August 30, 2011, 01:26:15 PM »
skatedad.....welcome to the world of figure skating!  It's a small world, but it's a great one!  I hope your daughter enjoys it!

Offline SkateDad

• Rink Rat
  • Total GOE: 0
« Reply #53 on: August 30, 2011, 02:30:18 PM »
In LTS, how would kids know where they are supposed to be if they themselves are moving to a different groups each week? 

Great question and one I had over the weekend. My daughter skated out to her alpha/beta class (or to the instructors listed on the schedule as teaching the Alpha/beta class) and about 3 minutes into the class I felt like something wasn't right. I tried to resist being the annoying parent that goes to the glass during the lesson but I couldn't help myself and had to ask (at this point about 5 minutes into the 30 minute class) "Isn't this the alpha/beta class?" to which the reply was "no, this is pre-alpha." My daughter then had to be shown where the class she was supposed to be in was being held.

I am admittedly anal about organization, but I don't think it's unreasonable to expect them to tape simple hand made signs on the glass so kids know exactly where to go for their class. Especially given that the teachers on schedule for the designated classes are almost never the ones actually teaching it.

OK, I said I was going to avoid the negativity of why I dislike group classes and I got into it a bit anyway. There is hope though, that as isakswings stated, maybe it's because this is the summer session that things are so crazy?

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
  • Total GOE: 49
« Reply #54 on: August 30, 2011, 02:48:19 PM »

I am admittedly anal about organization, but I don't think it's unreasonable to expect them to tape simple hand made signs on the glass so kids know exactly where to go for their class. Especially given that the teachers on schedule for the designated classes are almost never the ones actually teaching it.

OK, I said I was going to avoid the negativity of why I dislike group classes and I got into it a bit anyway. There is hope though, that as isakswings stated, maybe it's because this is the summer session that things are so crazy?

My rink has boards they pin up for the group classes with the different levels. It makes it easier for kids when they're coming back for a new session to find their classes and saves the coaches having to go around and question everyone. Perhaps you could suggest this at your rink? Possibly no one has actually thought about what it looks like from a newcomer's prospective. (Actually I'm quite amazed some people actually find skating as a sport as it quite often seems quite closed to outsiders in the way things are done. I've actually helped a new skater who moved to my rink and some of the procedures are just obtuse and unhelpful as they're designed for people moving through the system and not moving into it).

Offline SkateDad

• Rink Rat
« Reply #55 on: August 30, 2011, 03:07:59 PM »
...Actually I'm quite amazed some people actually find skating as a sport as it quite often seems quite closed to outsiders in the way things are done.

I have actually thought in just this short time I have been involved that the rink (and maybe skating in general) leaves a lot of money at the table simply from a lack of getting the word out about it. The "sport" could definitely use some PR. Seems odd to say that given how much each of us spends on this passion, but truly it is hard to get into simply from a lack of information.

Offline jenniturtle

• Beware the Bars of Death!
  • Total GOE: 2
« Reply #56 on: August 30, 2011, 03:57:55 PM »
 I wanted to put my two cents in. My DD started skating at 9 and started with group lessons. At no time did a coach approach her soliciting services. We approached a coach because my DD wanted to compete. She asked the coach she had taken most of her LTS classes with. She is currently in FS 5 and is the only student in her LTS class and her teacher is her coach, so this works out that we get 7 "private" lessons for $100.00 skate school cost. My DD only skates maybe 3 hours a week and has moved up 3 levels since June. So I wouldn't say ice time is all that important. Her coach maintains very high standards for competing and wouldn't pass her to a level she wouldn't do well in competition. Her coach said she should "have" her axel with in 6 months, 2 years after she started skating. If your DD loves it and you can afford it than go fo it. But keep in mind that its great as long as she is having fun! when it becomes a chore to go to class or practice than its time to scale back.

Offline jumpingbeansmom

• Wearing Blade Guards on the Ice
  • Total GOE: 60
« Reply #57 on: August 31, 2011, 01:18:40 PM »
20 hours a week? Holy cow! When does the child have time to do school work? I will be as supportive of my daughter current passion (I say "current" because who knows how long she will ask to skate) as I possibly can be, but certainly not at the expense of her education.

Is 20 or more hours a week the norm for very competitive skaters? WTH am i getting myself into here?  lol

My daughter is a 10 year old juvenile skater, currently working on double axel.   She skates 12-15 hours a week during the school year and also does 2-3 hours a week off ice/ballet

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #58 on: August 31, 2011, 03:42:11 PM »
And mine is a teenage Intermediate level, skating at most 7 hours a week plus roughly 45 mins of off-ice a day, landing 2A and some triples. At least one day a week with no skating at all. We have a spin coach, a transitions coach, a choreographer, and a base coach; they all coordinate together.  15 minute lessons are the rule, and only the base coach is daily: the others are spread out.

Coaches vary in ice time recommendations; our coach does not want her skaters training that many hours, particulary the pre-pubescent to pubescent, as she is concerned about over-training; burnout; and prefers intense, effective on-ice time to lots of ice time. Plus, she expects academic excellence, as it means that the skater has a well-balanced life; encourages outside activities; and will not let her skaters miss school for skating.

Note that this is a National level coach.  It's her philosophy; it produces excellent skaters; and every coach will vary. So, don't worry about it until you get there ... you'll find a coach who fits your focus and your child, and maybe it will be one who wants 15 hours a week, maybe it won't be.

Offline aussieskater

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 52
« Reply #59 on: August 31, 2011, 06:29:19 PM »
At least one day a week with no skating at all.

Coaches vary in ice time recommendations; our coach does not want her skaters training that many hours, particulary the pre-pubescent to pubescent, as she is concerned about over-training; burnout; and prefers intense, effective on-ice time to lots of ice time. Plus, she expects academic excellence, as it means that the skater has a well-balanced life; encourages outside activities; and will not let her skaters miss school for skating.

Speaking as a parent, your coach sounds great!  That's what I'd want for my DD if she continues in the sport.

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #60 on: August 31, 2011, 06:54:56 PM »
Speaking as a parent, your coach sounds great!  That's what I'd want for my DD if she continues in the sport.

Okay, but, to get that level of intensity, the ground rules:
a) no chatting or socializing on ice AT ALL
b) continual skating without rest throughout the session - no breaks at all
c) no bathroom breaks
d) water by the side of the ice, no "leaving to get a drink"
e) if you're late:  a lap of Russian Stroking for every minute you're late
f) full dynamic warmup before the start of session.

etc etc etc.  The efficiency is part of why so much can get done in a smaller amount of time. Other parents prefer a more relaxed atmosphere on the ice. It's all part of finding what works for your kid.

Offline ukmum

• Wearing Rental Skates
« Reply #61 on: September 01, 2011, 04:19:46 AM »
my dd is 11 and jumps to double loop.  She skates 45 mins private per week and 2.5 hours group lessons.  She does 2.5 hours practice per week.  She has one session per week which is more social where she chats and practices with friends.  They still practice, but for that hour they choose, make up routines, play judges for each other etc.  This seems to be a good balance for us as it doesn't interfere with school or any other activities.  She has been skating 3 years and we have gradually built up to this.  She would like to increase this a bit later this year.  It can be a bit tricky to find the right balance.