You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: ISU judging change  (Read 5643 times)

Offline skategeek

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 260
  • or is that geekyskater?
ISU judging change
« on: June 09, 2016, 08:37:44 AM »
This is interesting.  I don't follow competitive skating enough to know all the nuances, but it seems like a good thing.

http://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1038244/isu-vote-to-abolish-anonymous-judging-system-in-figure-skating-to-increase-transparency

Offline skategeek

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 260
  • or is that geekyskater?

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
Re: ISU judging change
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2016, 05:02:29 PM »
Saw that headline on Facebook today - I wonder if other performing sports like gymnastics and diving use anonymous judging?  Is there a downside to knowing what judge gave what score?  Stigma? Stalking?

OT: I was at the US Open Professional competition last week and they use a ten-point scale, which was different and yes, very subjective.  At one point, Doug Mattis, the emcee, announced the scores from each judge, stopping to say "The Russian Judge gives him a () score."  Everyone laughed because, back in the day, the Russian judges usually gave the lowest scores.  If s/he gave the skater a perfect score, it was cause for celebration!

"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
Re: ISU judging change
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2016, 03:26:30 AM »
I think the whole point of the current judging system wasn't to eliminate imperfection, but to hide it, in an attempt to reduce public scandal. Anonymous judging is part of that.

But no system can eliminate problems, politics, and controversy in this sport, or in any sport in which judgement calls are made. That's a lost cause.