You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: If I can't get an outside edge, and fall insiide on spins?  (Read 4424 times)

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
Re: If I can't get an outside edge, and fall insiide on spins?
« Reply #50 on: December 04, 2023, 03:39:36 PM »
It looks like she's still on a temp mount.  Additional screws should reduce gaps.

If you tighten the screws to close the gaps, you are putting extra stress on the blades, screws, screw holes, and boots.

You feel that stress doesn't matter? Since I have no engineering background, I don't know how to estimate whether it is significant. I also wonder whether that stress could warp the blade in some manner. It just seemed safest the eliminate the stress by filling the space. I've seen various professional skate techs do so too.

I've been using shims to close the gaps (I currently use layers of cloth first aid tape, strategically placed, because it is easy and seems to be stable, but I've sometimes used other things, like duct tape, which wasn't stable, and leather, which is something one of my former skate techs used. Mike Cunningham used plastic shims that I think were designed for the purpose.) I seem to remember that Bill_S used silicone (gasket maker??) to fill the space, though that may just have just been to waterproof the bottom of the boots, which I think isn't needed on Edeas, because Edea boot bottoms aren't leather and/or wood. (I'd say "outsoles" rather than "boot bottoms", but one of the videos implied that the Edea "outsole" is actually interior to the boot, and isn't exposed.)

Then again, my boot outsoles have all been leather. It's very easy to strip the screw holes in leather soles, if you use too much torque on the screws, and fixing stripped holes is a pain in the neck. Maybe Edea's composite composition makes it less of a potential problem? But if that were true, why do they use double helix screws?

Online tstop4me

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 196
  • Conserve Angular Momentum
Re: If I can't get an outside edge, and fall insiide on spins?
« Reply #51 on: December 04, 2023, 04:47:55 PM »
If you tighten the screws to close the gaps, you are putting extra stress on the blades, screws, screw holes, and boots.

You feel that stress doesn't matter? Since I have no engineering background, I don't know how to estimate whether it is significant. I also wonder whether that stress could warp the blade in some manner. It just seemed safest the eliminate the stress by filling the space. I've seen various professional skate techs do so too.

Of course stress matters.  If there were no stress, there would be no clamping force to hold the blade onto the boot, correct?

The question is when the stress is excessive.  That's difficult to determine in advance.  My point is not to jump to the conclusion that the gaps are excessive based solely on a temp mount.  My experience has been limited to leather soles (and Jackson LCF soles); hence I have not chimed in on procedures for Edeas.  But with a temp mount on leather soles, gaps are common.  Once I install more screws, some gaps close (partially or completely).  With a new mount, I check the screws after each session (after the boots have dried and warmed up) for the next 10 sessions or so.  I retorque the screws as needed.  Leather is conforming.  It takes experience to learn what is reasonable deformation vs a screwed-up boot (or a bad match between boot and blade that requires further remedies).  I have no problems installing permanent plugs in leather to fix stripped holes; I've done such repairs mucho times for myself and skaters that I'm friends with.