You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Can competitive skaters skate for $$, as in commercials?  (Read 1652 times)

Offline Neverdull44

• Making the Ice Cake
  • Total GOE: 120
Can competitive skaters skate for $$, as in commercials?
« on: March 03, 2015, 04:49:28 PM »
Can competitive skaters skate for cold, hard dough in commercials advertising for local businesses?  I remember a time, back in the 70s, when this was a no-no.   Has it changed?

Can competitive skaters skate in an exhibition (like at a hockey stadium), and ask the crowd to donate to a "go fund me" type website for the local figure skating club and/or their own skating?

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
Re: Can competitive skaters skate for $$, as in commercials?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2015, 04:56:45 PM »
Yes, but there are very specific rules... a gofundme type thing would probably not work out like you describe.

I know that "back in the day" you were not allowed to make *any* money from skating or you would be considered a professional, and ineligible to compete.  Things are quite a bit different now, with many skaters coaching (at both low and higher levels) as well as doing many other things to help support their own skating expenses.

Offline rd350

• Glides at Will
  • Total GOE: 8
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2015, 05:30:36 PM »
Gracie Gold is a spokesperson for Nike now so I guess yes!
Working on Silver MITF and Bronze Freestyle

Offline Neverdull44

• Making the Ice Cake
  • Total GOE: 120
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2015, 05:37:35 PM »
I found a page on it as USFS.  It has some of the rules, looks complicated.   One has to apply for permission.  There is a warning about paid performances messing up college scholarships under collegiate rules, which allow NO money for performance.  So, that would be a factor if someone were to get on a university team. 

I see the hockey kids selling raffle tickets at the hockey game to raise money.  Hockey scholarships are more common, so I guess they really steer clear of skating to raise money.

I just had a quick thought of some of our really good girls could skate at hockey game intermission as an exhibition, while the score board has a link for donations to the skating club or tells of a raffle table where spa/lady type baskets are being done.  It's really hard to promote the sport and the local club, if you can't show off!

Offline Scamper

• Rink Rat
  • Total GOE: 0
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2015, 05:48:44 PM »
Money to a club or team is fine. Money to an Individual is not. Creating a 501c3 for the club or team would make this just fine. This also allows the donor a tax deduction under our current code. This makes the entity a not for profit organization.   Then payments for team or club expenses can be paid from this account.  So thing like travel for a club/team, ice time, special equipment that will be owned by club or team fine. New skates for one skater NOT allowed.  this will ensure amateur status. this also allow for all sorts of fund raising like raffles and events along with selling or soliciting donations.  Hope that helps