You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Multiple coaches  (Read 2901 times)

Offline Feebee

• Zamboni Driver
  • Total GOE: 2
  • I would sleep in my skates if I could
Multiple coaches
« on: February 28, 2015, 08:09:12 PM »
I had a great coach last season, who subsequently moved away, and it took me several months and a fee trial lessons with various coaches before I found one that clicked in terms of coaching style and personality. We've been working together for a few months, but she's in school, her schedule sounds pretty full and I'm not sure how dedicated she is to coaching me long-term. I don't really want to end up in the same boat I was in last time, where I lost out on about 5 months of lessons before I found a coach.

Is it a coach-etiquette no-no to have two coaches? My current coach is unaffiliated with a club, but I think it's too complicated to try and find a second freelance coach, which means I'll have to join a club, it's probably a more significant investment, and not one I necessarily need right now.

What's the best way of ensuring I have a "backup" coach? Do any of you have multiple coaches and are you up front with your coaches about it?

Mod note: topic moved to On The Boards forum.

Offline Christy

• AOSS Member
  • Total GOE: 103
Re: Multiple coaches
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2015, 09:19:16 PM »
I only work with one coach but the majority of people I skate with have 2 or more coaches that they work with on a regular basis for freestyle, and the coaches are aware of the circumstances.

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2015, 09:24:08 PM »
You just have to be totally up-front about it to both coaches - some coaches will absolutely refuse to "share" you - others are fine with it.

As far as taking the lessons go - sometimes it gets confusing because one coach wants you to do something one way and the other wants it done another way - and so you just have to take what you can get from each coach and basically, in the lesson - do it one way for coach A and the other way for coach B.  When you are testing and competing then you just have to let your well-trained body take over and do it the best way for YOU!!

Good luck in your search.

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2015, 12:48:12 PM »
In the U.S. It used to be bad etiquette indeed, because it could get your second coach kicked out of the PSA and USFS, so they couldn't coach anymore, if they weren't teaching you with the first coach's permission.

Very recently, I believe the organizations were told that was an illegal anti-competitive practice, and PSA rules have changed.

But most coaches and skaters still feel it is just good manners to ask your current coach before teaching you too - and if they don't know about each other, they might keep stepping on each other's toes, giving you contradictory info, and be confused that you are doing something opposite from what they told you.

So, yes, talk to both of them about it. Some coaches have styles that are more consistent with each other than others, and your current coach might be able to advise you on who might be compatible.

I used to have two coaches, one Dance, one Freestyle. It was more confusing than anything else. I have also changed coaches too often, and am rather confused about many things. Unless you have a good reason to have two, it will be easier on you to stay with one while you can.

Of course, a lot of the top end skaters have multiple coaches - because it's possible no one can completely master all the intricacies of skating - I don't think anyone even knows all the USFS and ISU rules that you have to follow, which change frequently. They might have one coach who specializes in spins, one in jumps, one in choreography, one in off-ice training, etc. Some coaches are very good at keeping track of what specific test and competitions judges like, or maybe at playing politics when it comes to who the national skating organization allows to compete at International competitions. But they usually have one coach who takes the lead, and helps them make decisions where conflicts arise.

I've never been a top end skater, so that never made sense for me.

But it's your decision. Figure out what makes sense to YOU.

Sometimes a great way to try out coaches is to take a few group lessons from them. But again, it's good to tell your current coach that you will, and ask if it is a problem. If you are above the level of the standard group lessons offered in your area, some coaches offer specialized classes or clinics of their own creation that don't follow a standard ISI/USFS content.

Offline nicklaszlo

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 221
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2015, 03:26:34 PM »
I recently asked an adult skater who their coach was and they gave me a rather long list of coaches. 

A really good coach will help you make a long term plan, even if it includes helping you find your next coach.

Offline amy1984

• Wearing Blade Guards on the Ice
  • Total GOE: 14
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2015, 05:13:36 PM »
I have two coaches and also another who partners me for ice dance.  As an adult, when I get conflicting info about technique, I pick what I like best and stick with it.  Doesn't really cause problems.  There are many ways to do things and most reasonable people understand it's not their way or the highway :)

In terms of etiquette, I don't think it's frowned upon.  I know many skaters with two (or more!) coaches.  Just make sure both know about the other coach and also understand who's sort of 'in charge' (ie: who puts in tests?).

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
  • Total GOE: 49
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2015, 01:55:49 AM »
I have a dance and free coaches. The crossover things like moves, I assign one of them to be in charge. If they other wants to keep an eye on exercises I don't mind, but I make sure they know that the other coach is working on them.  But equally the dance coach will send me to the free coach with spin instructions and the free coach will send me back with skating skills and twizzle instructions (they're in different rinks so they can't just talk to each other).
It's working well at the moment. I'm progressing and I'm happy. They're the two most important things when it comes to my skating as an adult.

Offline PhysicsOnIce

• Wearing Blade Guards on the Ice
  • Total GOE: 292
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2015, 05:26:10 AM »
I have multiple coaches, but one primary coach. This is actually the structure of our club.  All club coaches, coach everyone but everyone has his/her own coach for competition/test purposes. Because of how our club works, each coach has his/her speciality and teaches his/her speciality during particular club hours. If we want more private lessons, we simply ask our individual coach and it has to be on off-club hours. For example I won't work jumps with Coach L.  who is essentially our club choerographer/style coach and I wont work style with Coach M., who is my primary coach and is the one with me at all competitions/test.

I also work with a completely different coach during the summer and winter vacations. He is not part of our club and actually doesn't live in Belgium,  but if a good friend of Coach M. and was recommended by her as a supplemental coach. He has a completely different style and teaching model, but he knows that for the time being Coach M. is my official coach despite me loving working with him. 

I guess, what you really need to do is make sure that ALL parties involved are aware of each other and that there is a clear hierarchical structure about who is your primary coach. 

Let your heart and soul guide your blades

Offline ChristyRN

• Salchow-a-Bunga!
  • Total GOE: 184
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2015, 08:31:35 PM »
One year, my private coach was doing a lot of travelling for her family's business, so I had a second coach. They had co-coached before, so it worked well. Secondary coach put me on the ice for two of the three competitions I did that year. I only have one now, plus the group/bridge coach who is contacting my primary coach to see what she will allow me to do (post concussion, still working up on skills).
Once in his life, every man is entitled to fall madly in love with one gorgeous redhead.  (Lucille Ball)

Offline PinkLaces

• Flooping To The Beat
  • Total GOE: 27
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2015, 02:48:00 PM »
When I was with my old coach, she always had her students with her as the main coach and had another coach as secondary.  So I had her for 2 of my 3 lessons and 1 with the secondary coach.  She always picked the secondary coach for the kids and let me pick for my secondary.  All parties knew about each other. In fact at my old rink, team coaching is a big thing and they have done seminars for ISI and PSA about it.

My current coach used to be my secondary coach. I take lessons from her and also group lessons (which are 2 different coaches). They all know and respect each other. 

The main thing is open communication.  Speak to your coach first. See who s/he recommend and are comfortable with.