You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Skate Dress Designers and Adults?  (Read 3698 times)

Offline Neverdull44

• Making the Ice Cake
  • Total GOE: 120
Skate Dress Designers and Adults?
« on: February 20, 2015, 05:59:06 PM »
Mid-life and older adults and skating dresses, that's who dress designers run away from! 

Unless the Lycra is like a great brand, like Brad Griffies, forget it.   It will be single layer, show every bulge and roll . .

And, the skating stockings.  I don't know if thick bands or thin bands are worse for pinching the fat both below and above the waist.

Now, how many velvet, dark colored dresses can one own?

Dresses are so hard, and it's because they are mainly designed for a 10 year old body that never carried a baby or worry about bills. . . . . '

(venting)

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
Re: Skate Dress Designers and Adults?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2015, 06:28:16 PM »
Body tights under your skating tights can do a LOT to eliminate the "waist roll" - I honestly won't wear regular skating tights without a pair of body tights underneath... because it also stops them from digging in and becoming painful/itchy at the waistband, plus it does a lot to smooth out the bra area too (if you choose to wear a normal bra under your dress).  You can also cut out and replace the elastic at the waist of regular tights with something more comfortable if you have a serger or a seamstress willing to do the job for you - some people replace theirs with a folded over band of nude lycra.

Despite a sizable weight loss since I started skating again I am not what anyone would consider "thin" - and after 3 kids, and my belly is more loose skin and stretch marks than anything else, and it's never going to be "normal" again, even if I was 115lbs... and I'm okay with that :)

I have to say though, my biggest problem lately with dresses has nothing to do with tights, it's that I'm just too big on top to go braless and most styles don't allow for a normal bra to be worn underneath.  I've not had the best of luck trying to "sew in" bras either - typically a dress that doesn't allow for coverage (creative or otherwise) of a regular bra just plain won't have enough straps/support available to make anything else work either... it's a frustrating problem.

Offline CaraSkates

• Doing the Fiesta Tangle!
  • Total GOE: 367
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2015, 01:43:22 PM »
Lycra dresses can be flattering on a variety of body types, it has more to do with the cut and fit of the dress. A good quality lycra (with a lining and/or mesh overlay or underlay) can actually be more slimming then a dark velvet!

This is where a good dressmaker is key. A good dressmaker can build a bra into a dress, line the dress in such a way that you can wear whatever undergarments you choose, tweak the fit to give the illusion of a longer torso, etc. I always tell my clients it's better to spend more on one dress that you LOVE and feel like a superstar in then to buy several that are only "ok". Better to wear the same dress for all three events and feel gorgeous then wear three different that you are tugging at. A good dressmaker should also be able to work with your budget and offer suggestions on how to achieve the most for your money.

And frankly, the confidence factor when skating in something you feel good in is important too! I've done dresses for "round" preteens, tall slender young adults, adults in their 40s, 50s and up and teeny tiny tots - where I lined the dress with fleece so they would stay warm! Everyone skates better when they feel good about themselves.

Offline littlerain

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 11
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2015, 03:44:02 PM »

Lycra dresses can be flattering on a variety of body types, it has more to do with the cut and fit of the dress. A good quality lycra (with a lining and/or mesh overlay or underlay) can actually be more slimming then a dark velvet!

This is where a good dressmaker is key. A good dressmaker can build a bra into a dress, line the dress in such a way that you can wear whatever undergarments you choose, tweak the fit to give the illusion of a longer torso, etc. I always tell my clients it's better to spend more on one dress that you LOVE and feel like a superstar in then to buy several that are only "ok". Better to wear the same dress for all three events and feel gorgeous then wear three different that you are tugging at. A good dressmaker should also be able to work with your budget and offer suggestions on how to achieve the most for your money.

And frankly, the confidence factor when skating in something you feel good in is important too! I've done dresses for "round" preteens, tall slender young adults, adults in their 40s, 50s and up and teeny tiny tots - where I lined the dress with fleece so they would stay warm! Everyone skates better when they feel good about themselves.

That sounds wonderful. I feel like we all need you to design our dresses! Do you have a site? I can't remember if you've posted it before but I would love to check it out!

Offline CaraSkates

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2015, 06:22:19 PM »
That sounds wonderful. I feel like we all need you to design our dresses! Do you have a site? I can't remember if you've posted it before but I would love to check it out!

www.facebook.com/caraannedesigns  or www.caraannedesigns.com - if I'm not allowed to post this here, let me know! I love designing skating dresses but the best part is seeing the happy skater perform in their new dress/outfit!

Offline ChristyRN

• Salchow-a-Bunga!
  • Total GOE: 184
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2015, 07:07:03 PM »
I have a local seamstress. We sat down one afternoon to design my test dress. It took us two hours, but it was exactly what I envisioned (or invisioned?) It fits my round belly perfectly.

That's what most designers don't get. I know I'm overweight, but why can't you design something that will fit me without looking like a sausage casing and has a skirt to actually cover my rearend? I'd buy in in a heart beat. Most off the rack designs won't fit my chest because I actually have one.
Once in his life, every man is entitled to fall madly in love with one gorgeous redhead.  (Lucille Ball)

Offline Christy

• AOSS Member
  • Total GOE: 103
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2015, 09:35:29 PM »
Off the peg certainly doesn't seem to work if you have any hint of a curve, no matter how old. They seem to assume everyone shopping for a skating dress resembles a stick insect. Then there's the girth / height - according to their website Jerry's L and XL should fit different weights (their size chart is by weight), but the girths are almost identical. I tried an XL once and it wasn't pleasant!!!

I remember reading that over the years clothing manufacturers have adjusted their sizing to accommodate changes in body types. Maybe it's time skating dress vendors did the same?

Oh, and dark velvet doesn't hide everything - at least not in my photos  :'(

Offline Neverdull44

• Making the Ice Cake
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2015, 01:30:26 PM »
If I was a dress designer, I would use the Costco one-piece swimsuit as a base design.   That sucker is great, coverage and sucks/holds in where needed.   Add a skirt and stones?

Thanks for the link.  I loved your designs.  Message sent to you.

Offline Neverdull44

• Making the Ice Cake
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2015, 03:28:26 PM »
Is it "Ok" to wear a body suit liner (like Mondor) or a full body mesh liner under a halter type dress with spaghetti straps?  I was thinking I'd be more "comfortable" if I could wear a long sleeved mesh liner under it.  But, I don't know if that would be "frowned upon" by the skating community.  I have my USFSA test coming up . . . . .

Offline CaraSkates

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2015, 07:47:50 PM »
If I was a dress designer, I would use the Costco one-piece swimsuit as a base design.   That sucker is great, coverage and sucks/holds in where needed.   Add a skirt and stones?

Thanks for the link.  I loved your designs.  Message sent to you.
Thank you! I think I replied?? Let me know if not!

Is it "Ok" to wear a body suit liner (like Mondor) or a full body mesh liner under a halter type dress with spaghetti straps?  I was thinking I'd be more "comfortable" if I could wear a long sleeved mesh liner under it.  But, I don't know if that would be "frowned upon" by the skating community.  I have my USFSA test coming up . . . . .

If it matches your skin closely, I'd go for it. The judges won't mind and you'll skate better if you are more comfortable. I always design my own dresses in such a way that they are built on a "nude" base so I can wear my preferred bra under. I have a client who doesn't want to worry about a bra but needs the support so I build one into her dresses for her.

Offline davincisop

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 162
  • 2017 Goal: Pass Bronze Dances
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2015, 09:25:33 AM »
Neverdull: Will you be at Florida Open? I know they pull in several dress vendors, including US IceWear who makes fantastic dresses. I wore a dress by her for my test this weekend and it flattered instead of showing any sort of bulges. I'm also not a tiny skater, I'm overweight by about 30 pounds, so to find a flattering skating dress for me is crucial.