You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Skills log book ideas?  (Read 3747 times)

Offline rd350

• Glides at Will
  • Total GOE: 8
Skills log book ideas?
« on: February 19, 2015, 08:02:39 PM »
I love the idea of a skills log book.  Anyone have advice on how to format this?  I use Skaterbase and put skills in activities but there's no way to get an overview.

Mod note: topic moved to On The Boards forum.
Working on Silver MITF and Bronze Freestyle

Offline lutefisk

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 153
    • On Thin Ice
Re: Skills log book ideas?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2015, 09:03:48 AM »
I use a pencil and a small pocket notebook.  This is probably a reflection of my rural Pennsylvania upbringing--electricity is a tool of the devil, etc.

Offline TreSk8sAZ

• Blade Runner
  • Total GOE: 42
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2015, 12:21:38 PM »
My coach provides us with a binder, calendar pages, and a blank chart. We can record how we like, but most of us do it similarly. For example, one column lists jumps we're working on (axel, dbl sal, lutz, etc). We record attempts, clean landings, etc. Spins we record how many we work on, how many revs in x position, and that sort of thing. I personally use the calendar to show what I worked on (MITF, Dance, FS, Artistic) each day, and how many program run-throughs I've done. When I was first learning my MITF, it got down to how many turns I successfully completed, until I could actually do the whole move!

You could definitely do a blank spreadsheet and bring it with you, or a notebook to chart what you're working on.

Offline Feebee

• Zamboni Driver
  • Total GOE: 2
  • I would sleep in my skates if I could
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2015, 12:32:22 PM »
Rd350 - thanks for starting this! I kind of assumed I would log it old school in a notebook, but I hadn't thought about logging in greater detail things like attempts, practice sessions. I guess it's not as simple as recording the skill and when it was mastered. It's hard to pinpoint when (or if ever) a skill is really mastered/gained. It's probably better to record incremental improvements and what I'm working on (and now the data geek in me wants an app with graphs charting progress).

Would love to hear from more people what method they use and how detailed they are in their logs...

Offline rd350

• Glides at Will
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2015, 06:51:55 PM »
Love that chart idea!  I am so bad creating charts that are awesome.  I'll work on it.

Offline PinkLaces

• Flooping To The Beat
  • Total GOE: 27
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2015, 01:09:08 AM »
My system is pretty complicated, but it work great for me. I have a Midori Traveler's notebook with 3 inserts.

Book 1 - I record all the elements I attempt on each session. The book is grid note paper and I made a chart with each element and days of the week. For each skate session, I record the number of attempts I make at each element I practice. This helps me to make sure I am hitting everything every week. I also record my off-ice exercises (how many reps or how long with each stretch).

Book 2: My practice log. This is lined note paper. At the beginning of each month, I set 5 goals. After each practice, I record the details of the practice - what I worked on, revs on spins, how the jump attempts went, if I get any compliments, etc. At the end of the month, I go back and record how I did on my goals.

Book 3: Corrections. Another lined notebook. I give each jump, spin, or move a separate page. As I get correction from my private or group coaches, I write them in the notebook on the appropriate page. If I am having a hard time with something, I will go to that page in my notebook and go through all the corrections and it usually fixes the problem.

Offline PhysicsOnIce

• Wearing Blade Guards on the Ice
  • Total GOE: 292
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2015, 09:18:26 AM »
My system is pretty complicated, but it work great for me. I have a Midori Traveler's notebook with 3 inserts.

Book 1 - I record all the elements I attempt on each session. The book is grid note paper and I made a chart with each element and days of the week. For each skate session, I record the number of attempts I make at each element I practice. This helps me to make sure I am hitting everything every week. I also record my off-ice exercises (how many reps or how long with each stretch).

Book 2: My practice log. This is lined note paper. At the beginning of each month, I set 5 goals. After each practice, I record the details of the practice - what I worked on, revs on spins, how the jump attempts went, if I get any compliments, etc. At the end of the month, I go back and record how I did on my goals.

Book 3: Corrections. Another lined notebook. I give each jump, spin, or move a separate page. As I get correction from my private or group coaches, I write them in the notebook on the appropriate page. If I am having a hard time with something, I will go to that page in my notebook and go through all the corrections and it usually fixes the problem.

This sounds complicated but incredibly useful! I have to ask do you plan you sessions before hand ? and do you note things done during the session?
Let your heart and soul guide your blades

Offline PinkLaces

• Flooping To The Beat
  • Total GOE: 27
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2015, 01:05:57 AM »
My usual plan is to hit as many elements on my list (chart) as possible. Sometimes, I will see I haven't worked on something in awhile and try to make sure it gets included in the next practice. I only have an hour each session and half of that is a lesson.

Offline rd350

• Glides at Will
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2015, 06:34:59 PM »
That does sound great!  I need to put a system into place!

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2015, 07:05:04 PM »
I have often taken notes at lessons.

Some coaches found this amusing. But my memory is imperfect. It helped me practice the things that needed to be fixed, and helped reduce the repeated comments by my coaches on the same things over and over again - a little.

But it takes up some lesson time, and breaks the continuity of what the coach is teaching. Presumably you will decide for yourself it is a good idea.

As a compromise, I recorded a few of my lessons, and took notes afterwards.

Offline rd350

• Glides at Will
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2015, 07:57:42 PM »
I've taken videos with audio comments during lessons.  It's a bit faster!  But my phone has limited space.

Offline littlerain

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 11
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2015, 12:41:50 AM »

I've taken videos with audio comments during lessons.  It's a bit faster!  But my phone has limited space.
Do you put your phone on the boards for the whole lesson, or what do you do?

Offline Feebee

• Zamboni Driver
  • Total GOE: 2
  • I would sleep in my skates if I could
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2015, 09:26:06 AM »
These are great.

I really like the idea of logging off-ice training too. I probably won't with most off-ice training, because I pretty much track that stuff separately already using apps, but for stretching it might actually get me to be more consistent about stretching. 

I also like the idea of writing down coach's comments and suggestions.

Offline TreSk8sAZ

• Blade Runner
  • Total GOE: 42
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2015, 10:56:29 AM »
I definitely write down corrections or coach's comments, but I do it after the lesson. I only get so much lesson time a week, so I can't waste any of it stopping to write. Usually, just after the lesson, I can take one or two minutes to write if I need to. Or, sometimes after the session I'm thinking more clearly (depends on how hard my coach worked me!) But it's very individual. Usually, for me, I put the comments at the end of my chart on the row with the element (so, for lutz, the farthest column to the right I have my normal corrections of head looking right/straight and left arm in front).

Offline littlerain

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 11
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2015, 11:36:31 AM »
I would love to see what your charts look like!!

Offline rd350

• Glides at Will
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2015, 07:53:38 PM »
@littlerain no, I don't have enough space for more than a minute or two.  I only video something new or tricky and make comments while doing so.

Offline MKG93

• MITF Adult track Pre-Bronze
  • Wearing Rental Skates
  • Total GOE: 0
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2015, 08:46:18 AM »
I love the idea of having a detailed log book. Currently I only write down corrections on a post it and stick it to my agenda/planner. I think I'll expand on that and create a section in it for something more formal to record at the end of each lesson. I don't think I'd log practices unless I'm struggling with something.