You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Coaches and Adults?  (Read 7781 times)

Offline littlerain

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 11
Re: Coaches and Adults?
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2015, 06:37:00 PM »

Don't know where you heard that.  Not true anywhere on the North, Northwest, or West side/suburbs and I've been AROUND.  A LOT.  Probably 15+different rinks in this area.  It could be specific individuals?

I agree, I've been to a handful of rinks in the north and northwest suburbs of Chicago and they don't seem to be that way. However, those are all rinks with adult classes available, so it may be just part of the culture there.

Then again, there are a lot more rinks in the Chicago suburbs than many other areas of the country I've been to! (There are two less than 10 minutes away from my house, at least 3 more within 25 min, and at least 6 more within 40min drive) so statistically speaking, perhaps a good number of those rinks just aren't adult friendly and we don't know about it!

Offline techskater

• Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 64
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2015, 08:02:31 PM »
I have literally skated:
Rockford (both rinks),  Crystal Lake, West Dundee, Vernon Hills,  Buffalo Grove, Gurnee, Rolling Meadows, Hoffman Estates, Highland Park, Winnetka, Skokie, Evanston, Park Ridge, McFetridge, Woodridge (7 Bridges), Niles, Glen Elyn,  Downers Grove, Oak Lawn, and probably a couple more that I  am forgetting and I can't ever say I didn't feel welcome.  Some places I felt more comfortable than others, but never not welcome (and there are the occasional children who are rude and have stink eye, but whatever).  Some coaches don't want to work with adults, but there are a LOT of choices in this area for coaches who are more than happy to take on adult skaters.

Offline littlerain

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 11
Coaches and Adults?
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2015, 12:56:55 AM »
Glad to hear that! I've only been to a handful of rinks you mention but have found my experience to be similar. :)

Offline twokidsskatemom

• Compulsory Figures
  • Total GOE: 17
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2015, 12:49:44 PM »
My skaters coach has kids that medaled at nats this year and is also Sclbelle coach. She is taking her to sectionals next week I think and also adult nats.

Offline MKG93

• MITF Adult track Pre-Bronze
  • Wearing Rental Skates
  • Total GOE: 0
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2015, 08:29:50 AM »
I agree that it takes a more knowledgeable coach with the ability to break down moves to effectively coach adults. Many of the younger coaches at my rink will take adults, but they don't have the expertise to teach and answer the questions that adults will have. In addition, because I do MITF, many of the younger coaches can't even teach them because they're not familiar enough with the track. I'm fortunate that my coach is older, has both taught and judged MITF and not only enjoys, but prefers to coach adults.