You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Questions on Competing Under USFS  (Read 2436 times)

Offline sk8tergirl

• Under the Edge
  • Total GOE: 0
Questions on Competing Under USFS
« on: February 18, 2015, 07:03:56 PM »
Just a few questions. Just wondering what the "official" rule is regarding these situations:

1. Is it possible to "sign yourself" into USFS competitions without a coach? As long as you have USFS membership and represent a rink.

2. Do most local competitions allow a skater to "skate up" one level? (eg. If I pass the Silver MITF & FS, I can register/skate Gold at local events.) I understand this doesn't work at the sectional/national level.

I realize you need a coach to take the tests. Thinking about testing and competing..... maybe... Not sure yet. :-\

Offline axelwylie

• Gamified Figure Skater!
  • Total GOE: 131
  • Passed Adult Gold Freestyle - Jan 2014
Re: Questions on Competing Under USFS
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2015, 08:02:13 PM »
1. Yes. I have competed at several competitions without a coach.
2. Yes. Most local competitions allow you to "skate up" a level so if you have passed Silver FS, then you can skate Gold. Just remember that it if you skate Gold, it is judged under IJS so it is a completely different scoring system. Check the competition's official announcement to see if you are allowed to skate up. You can skate up at Sectionals for non-qualifying events (non-championship rounds). For Nationals, you cannot skate up.
Join my Skating Fridays blog posts at www.eva-bakes.com

Offline sk8tergirl

• Under the Edge
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2015, 08:17:52 PM »
Thank you for the info. I was pretty sure that was the case, but wanted to make sure before I started thinking about taking tests, etc.  :)

Offline littlerain

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 11
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2015, 12:38:43 PM »
It sounds like not having a coach is a concern... Are you taking any group lessons or anything?

Offline sk8tergirl

• Under the Edge
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2015, 03:29:13 PM »
I worked something out with the coach who is going to teach me MITF for the tests. So I don't have  to worry, now I have a coach to sign me into competitions. :) I guess I also have to fill out a planned elements sheet. It seems pretty straight forward, but it would be best to have a coach for that.

Offline karne

• On the Edge
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2015, 05:03:17 AM »
Filling out a planned program content sheet is easy as pie. Even the abbreviations for the various elements are fairly commonsense. You can do the PPC as long as you know what order you do your elements in.
"Three months in figure skating is nothing. Three months is like 5 minutes in a day. 5 minutes in 24 hours - that's how long you've been working on this. And that's not long at all. You are 1000% better than you were 5 minutes ago." -- My coach

ISA Preliminary! Passed 13/12/14!

Offline axelwylie

• Gamified Figure Skater!
  • Total GOE: 131
  • Passed Adult Gold Freestyle - Jan 2014
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2015, 06:43:16 AM »
Most PPC sheets are only required at Adult Gold and above.
Join my Skating Fridays blog posts at www.eva-bakes.com

Offline littlerain

• On the Edge
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2015, 08:41:03 PM »
That sounds like you've gone in the right direction. Hopefully you can take lessons, as that's a much easier way to learn the mitf and determine when you're ready!

Offline blue111moon

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 34
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2015, 08:06:07 AM »
Please read the entire announcement for any competition you may want enter.  Local competitions vary; not all of them offer IJS for all levels.  You (and all skaters) must follow the rules as spelled out in the announcement. 

Also be sure that your coach is up-to-date on the Adult rules and standards, no matter how experienced he/she is with the Standard track ones.   Not all coaches are familiar with the differences.