You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Dress code for MIF?  (Read 1242 times)

Offline Misyask8

• Designated Spinner
  • Total GOE: 0
Dress code for MIF?
« on: August 26, 2013, 10:04:16 PM »
My daughter will be doing her Pre-preliminary MIF test in 2 months and I was watching a few videos of girls on youtube and they all are wearing very basic skating dresses. We only have a few competition dresses (ie, sparkly, flowy). Should I get her something simple? Is there an actual dress code?

Thanks

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
Re: Dress code for MIF?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2013, 10:17:31 PM »
There is no specific dress code.  An ability to see body lines is really the only preference - this means no loose clothing like baggy pants, but form fitting practice pants are fine.  There may be some regional preference as far as wearing dresses over practice pants, however I took my last test in practice pants (and a jacket) because it is what I felt most comfortable in and that wasn't a problem (I passed).

Talk to your daughter's coach and see what they recommend - they will have a better idea of what is expected in your area than we do.  Your coach may also have a preference that isn't necessarily what is required or expected - my own coach prefers dresses on her students for tests, but she was willing to compromise since I'm an adult :)

Offline JSM

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 39
Re: Dress code for MIF?
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2013, 11:55:14 PM »
I see more simple outfits for lower level testing, but there's no reason to buy something new just for pre-pre!

If your area has a lot of test sessions, would it be possible for you and your daughter to observe one before she tests?  Then she can get a feel for what a test session is like, and you both can see what kinds of things other skaters are wearing.  It can be different region to region.