You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Glasses with speakers instead of headphones  (Read 1307 times)

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
Glasses with speakers instead of headphones
« on: May 19, 2023, 09:33:05 PM »
Some people find headphones (which are, for example, potentially useful practicing programs) uncomfortable to wear while skating.

There are now many bluetooth glasses that have integral speakers on the frames. Some are prescription, some aren't. Some are "smart" - e.g., have voice control built in. Though I was thinking more of something that just connects to your smartphone or other mobile device. I haven't checked to see whether any would be self-contained - i.e., whether you could record your program, with or without voice queues remind you of the next move.

I am NOT suggesting that people listen to unrelated things, that take your attention away from other people around you, creating possible collisions, though I admit they are probably sometimes used for that.

Just an idea, which I haven't thought out very carefully.

BTW, glasses in ice rinks do often need anti-fog coatings or equivalent. And some people find glasses uncomfortable too. There are always trade-offs.

Offline Nate

• BladeLock
  • Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 22
  • #AdultSkate
Re: Glasses with speakers instead of headphones
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2023, 11:41:47 PM »
I'd find them uncomfortable.  Between sweat pooling, compression of my ears against them (I wear a knit cap in cold rinks), the need to wear a band to keep them from flying off, and potential fogginess.

I prefer the Beats Flex Wireless headphones, and just tuck one earbud under my outer layers when I need more situational awareness.

If I were to switch, it would be to some true wireless headphones, since my headwear would likely keep them in... I just know I would lose one of them eventually, so I'm staving that off.

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2023, 08:31:47 PM »
I prefer the Beats Flex Wireless headphones, and just tuck one earbud under my outer layers when I need more situational awareness.

From Apple.com:
Compatible with iOS and iPadOS 14 or later, MacOS 11 or later, WatchOS 7 or later, and tvOS 14 or later; compatibility will vary on Android devices.

Ear buds don't work for some of us - it depends on the shape of your ears. For me, all earbuds and ear plugs, even the ones made of moldable silicone, immediately fall out, though I admit I never tried putting them under a knit cap - I mostly skate too warm for that indoors. But I'm glad they work well for you.

It used to be people said noise cancelling headphones only successfully cancel low frequency sound, where the wavelength is significantly longer than your ear canals. Is that true for ear buds too?

I have a thin face, which means that most headphones - except some designed for kids, which, AFAIK, all have dubious sound quality - don't fit. The ones that come closest are designed to be able to fit the band behind the neck. It also means I usually have to mail order glasses, unless I am willing to wear a young child's style. (Not a big problem - there are very good quality mail order glasses in the $6-10 range that work.) So something that would fit over generic glasses frames would be very nice for me. At home, I prefer a closed back studio model that block external sound - but I would not do that at an ice rink with other people on it.

Offline supersharp

• Intergalactic Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 73
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2023, 09:51:32 PM »
I'd find them uncomfortable.  Between sweat pooling, compression of my ears against them (I wear a knit cap in cold rinks), the need to wear a band to keep them from flying off, and potential fogginess.

If I were to switch, it would be to some true wireless headphones, since my headwear would likely keep them in... I just know I would lose one of them eventually, so I'm staving that off.

I've had reasonable luck with Apple air pods, even without a hat.  My dance partner upgraded his from the original set to the newer version, so we turned his old set into our dance practice air pods.  We each wear one so we can hear each other but we can both hear the music.  So much better than trying to start a song on our phones at the same time...