You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Fibularis muscle pain.  (Read 2839 times)

Offline TropicalSk8ter

• Defrosting Da Toes
  • Total GOE: 3
  • live, breathe, eat figure skating
Fibularis muscle pain.
« on: April 17, 2014, 11:52:56 PM »
I'm experiencing extreme muscle soreness in the Fibularis muscle of the ankle. If I stop skating for a couple of days it doesn't hurt. But if I skate for say 4 days straight in a row it starts to hurt unbelievably. Now it doesn't hurt but if is was to poke it it would most probably hurt. Anyone else experiencing  or has experienced it in the past?

Ripping the ice all day!

Offline jbruced

• Traveling in a Synchro Circle
  • Total GOE: 5
Re: Fibularis muscle pain.
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2014, 09:25:03 AM »
Probably tendinitis from repetitive overuse. The muscle involved is also known as the peroneus longus. Its primary function is to evert the foot. Everting the foot is similar to but not exactly the same a pronation of the foot. The opposite of this is inverting the foot which stretches the muscle and its tendon.

If I recall, you are fairly new to ice skating and have been hitting it hard and progressing pretty rapidly. You may need to ease up and slow down a bit to lower the stress on the tissues and allow healing to occur.

Offline TropicalSk8ter

• Defrosting Da Toes
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2014, 10:00:02 PM »
Probably tendinitis from repetitive overuse. The muscle involved is also known as the peroneus longus. Its primary function is to evert the foot. Everting the foot is similar to but not exactly the same a pronation of the foot. The opposite of this is inverting the foot which stretches the muscle and its tendon.

If I recall, you are fairly new to ice skating and have been hitting it hard and progressing pretty rapidly. You may need to ease up and slow down a bit to lower the stress on the tissues and allow healing to occur.

Thanks for the advice,Bruce.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I437P using Tapatalk

Offline Loops

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 112
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2014, 04:48:47 AM »
I would add that you should probably get it checked out by a Dr.  Better be safe than sorry!

Offline CaraSkates

• Doing the Fiesta Tangle!
  • Total GOE: 367
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2014, 08:54:30 AM »
I'd get it checked out by an orthopedic doctor - I'm three weeks into wearing an air cast because of a fibula stress reaction (beginning of a fracture).
I was having shin pain, thought maybe it was shin splints so tried icing and KT tape and when it didn't go away after three weeks, saw a doctor, had xray and MRI same day to diagnose it.

Offline PhysicsOnIce

• Wearing Blade Guards on the Ice
  • Total GOE: 292
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2014, 05:40:42 AM »
I'm experiencing extreme muscle soreness in the Fibularis muscle of the ankle. If I stop skating for a couple of days it doesn't hurt. But if I skate for say 4 days straight in a row it starts to hurt unbelievably. Now it doesn't hurt but if is was to poke it it would most probably hurt. Anyone else experiencing  or has experienced it in the past?

Ripping the ice all day!

Get this checked out as soon as possible!! Skating can be really hard on the perneal tendons, specially if you tend to pronate at all.

I was having very similar pain two weeks. Actually for me the only time it was hurting was during landings, but was uncomfortable during everyday life, but I decided to have it checked. So, two weeks later, one week completely off the ice with no sport related activities, three physio/kine session, icing and 600mg X 3 a day of anti-inflamatories, I am still dealing with discomfort and slightly swelling.

Correct me  if I am wrong, you did get new boots lately right? If that is the case, you tendons could be working much harder than normal due to the stiffness of the boots, which could mean you need to strength your ankles.

Let your heart and soul guide your blades

Offline TropicalSk8ter

• Defrosting Da Toes
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2014, 11:13:22 AM »

Get this checked out as soon as possible!! Skating can be really hard on the perneal tendons, specially if you tend to pronate at all.

I was having very similar pain two weeks. Actually for me the only time it was hurting was during landings, but was uncomfortable during everyday life, but I decided to have it checked. So, two weeks later, one week completely off the ice with no sport related activities, three physio/kine session, icing and 600mg X 3 a day of anti-inflamatories, I am still dealing with discomfort and slightly swelling.

Correct me  if I am wrong, you did get new boots lately right? If that is the case, you tendons could be working much harder than normal due to the stiffness of the boots, which could mean you need to strength your ankles.

Yeah I've decided to stay off the ice for about a week and a half to see what happens. I'm icing it daily. It seems to feel like it's getting a lot better. But then again I can't really tell if I'm not on the ice. The new boots have most definitely stressed those tendons more than the normal and in part one of the reason why I decided to take a break.when I start to skate again I'm going to take it easy for a while, at least until my new boots finally break in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline PhysicsOnIce

• Wearing Blade Guards on the Ice
  • Total GOE: 292
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2014, 11:36:30 AM »

Yeah I've decided to stay off the ice for about a week and a half to see what happens. I'm icing it daily. It seems to feel like it's getting a lot better. But then again I can't really tell if I'm not on the ice. The new boots have most definitely stressed those tendons more than the normal and in part one of the reason why I decided to take a break.when I start to skate again I'm going to take it easy for a while, at least until my new boots finally break in.

Something that has helped me, is to do light mini ankle bounces ( as recommended in physio) making sure that my knee and ankle alignment is solid. You'll notice immediately if the tendons are still sore or inflamed. Also, you might want to stretch the area by doing ankle and calf stretches and also strengthening exercises.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxli_Z5blUE, I am doing all of these exercises as part of my rehab.
Let your heart and soul guide your blades

Offline TropicalSk8ter

• Defrosting Da Toes
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2014, 12:15:36 PM »
Thanks for the advice. I was contemplating whether asking you or not if you had ankle excersises. I will try it today. If you would like to share more excersises great :)