You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Stepping Down in Blades - SF  (Read 10238 times)

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
Stepping Down in Blades - SF
« on: November 29, 2010, 10:49:00 AM »
Isk8NYC
04-02-2010, 11:59 AM
I have to decide on which blades to put on my new boots. They're going to be ready soon, so I have to get back to Klingbeil about the blades.

I currently wear John Wilson Gold Seals because that's what I skated on when I was a competitor way back when. I was an ISI skater, Freestyle 5 by test level, with some of the elements from FS6/7 mastered. I really don't need Gold Seals anymore - I'm just demonstrating and coaching in these skates, with a bit of my own skating mixed in. I haven't really been skating for myself since my current skates started going haywire, but I want to get back to testing USFSA Moves and Freeskate.

I have a contingency plan because my current boots have brand-new Gold Seals on them that are the same size I need for my new boots. If I really hated whatever blades I put on my new skates, I could just swap the two sets of blades. (Well, have a pro shop swap the blades.)

I've tried to switch to Pattern 99's twice and hated them, so they're out.
I'm open to suggestions about other blades. I really like cross-cut toerakes, but I'm not doing that much jumping that I'll need a k-pick or parabolic options.

I'm could "step down" to Coronation Ace blades or MK Professionals. I know they have a 7' radius instead of the Gold Seals' 8' radius, so there will be an adjustment period. I think I'm okay with that and I wonder if the shorter radius would be better since I'm NOT doing doubles anymore. I love spinning, so the 7' might be a benefit.

I know that there are some newer manufacturers claiming to have knockoff versions of the Gold Seal. If the price is right, I might be inclined to try those.

I have to decide very soon. Any suggestions, ideas, warnings, other things to think about?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

sk8tmum
04-02-2010, 12:29 PM
Ultima now has a Gold Seal equivalent; they themselves state that it is. It's the Ultima Supreme. They are also offering a "30 day money back guarantee" - if you don't like them in 30 days you get them back. Check the Ultima site.

Our skate guy has been in the business for decades; he sharpens for Olympic and National level skaters; and he's excellent. He put our DD in Ultima blades - and he recommends them. We like that the sharpenings have significantly decreased in frequency due to the way that they are manufactured. We also like the much cheaper price point - !

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Isk8NYC
04-02-2010, 12:49 PM
Ultima Supremes - over $200 less than the Gold Seals. The description sounds like Gold Seals, too with the cross-cut picks and the side honing. That's tempting - okay, it's on my list.

While I was checking those out, I saw these Ultima Lite blades:

http://www.usaskates.com/images/figureskateblades/jalite70F.jpg

I love the way they look, but I don't know anyone who's wearing them.
Jackson/Ultima says there's no competitor blade to compare them against, which means they didn't clone an existing blade's profile, right?

8' rocker, cross-cut picks, under $200 with a 30-day guarantee. I'll put it on my list for now.

I did notice, in scoping out other skaters' blades, that the Ultimas (including the Matrix) have very blunt tails at the heel end. They're not tapered or rounded off - just *chopped* at a 90-degree angle. I don't think it matters - all I use the heel end for is pivots and posing. It just caught my eye...and hand! ouch!

Any reviews on the Ultima Lite blades?

Skittl1321
04-02-2010, 01:09 PM
I considered ultima lite when I got my paramounts- I don't remember getting very positive reviews, though I ultimatly decided to get them, and only ended up not getting them because the pro-shop screwed up...

I went from Gold Seals to lower level Paramounts. Other than a break in period, I didn't notice any difference. The rocker is the same. The toe picks are different, but without doing advanced jumps, that didn't make a difference to me. I was only in the Gold Seals because they came on the boots.

RachelSk8er
04-02-2010, 01:39 PM
I've worn Ultimas for quite a while, and I noticed that the steel their blades are made of seems to hold sharpenings much longer than other brands, and for some reason they even seem a little easier to skate on when they are on the dull side (despite the pretty shallow hollow on my Ultima blades). It became really obvious again when I went back to MKs on my new skates. With the amount of skating I do now (which hasn't changed), I need my MKs sharpened about every 3 weeks. I was going around 6 weeks between sharpenings in my Ultimas, usually a sharpening came when I realized I had a competition in a week and should probably get around to having them shaprened (or I was going to be near my skate shop so I might as well get them sharpened), and I probably could have gone a little longer. Actually, my Ultimas are going for their first sharpening since the week before the Wyandotte competition, which was held on January 20. Granted, I've worn them a lot less since I got my new skates a month ago (now I only wear them for dance), but that's still a long time.

Obviously that saves you money between less frequent sharpenings and the longer life you get out of the blades.

kayskate
04-02-2010, 01:56 PM
I'll throw in a good word for MK Pro. They are very affordable and IMO an xlt blade. I have never used anything but. I think they are great for spinning. I have learned just about all the spins in the book on them. I also used to do doubles on them. No doubles these days, but that is me, not the blades. I recommend them to anyone who needs a good affordable blade for multipurpose skating. I have also done dance in them w no probs.

Kay

mintypoppet
04-02-2010, 02:02 PM
I have Ultima Lites and I like them. After adjusting to the rocker difference, I can't say that I notice much of a difference between these and my old MK Pros.

The tails are very slightly shorter than my old blades, and I like the taper to the end - I'm less inclined to splat when I stand on them. The picks are much sharper (very spiky!) The retailer told me that they aren't suitable for heavier skaters, nor big jumps - they can break - but at ~110lbs and single jumps, they suit me.

sk8tmum
04-02-2010, 02:29 PM
DD has Ultima Lites, in fact. They are in terms of rocker, picks etc Coronation Aces. She loves them; they are far lighter, and she's in a size 7-1/2 boot, every bit of reduced weight helps.

We did have some issues with coaches however - the back of the blade looks very "pointed" and there was some fear/concern that it was dangerous. They aren't - but, due to optical illusion, they look very much like they could pierce you.

Sharpenings last forever with them. And they draw a lot of attention as they look absolute unique and very pretty on the ice.

sk8tmum
04-02-2010, 02:31 PM
I have Ultima Lites and I like them. After adjusting to the rocker difference, I can't say that I notice much of a difference between these and my old MK Pros.

The tails are very slightly shorter than my old blades, and I like the taper to the end - I'm less inclined to splat when I stand on them. The picks are much sharper (very spiky!) The retailer told me that they aren't suitable for heavier skaters, nor big jumps - they can break - but at ~110lbs and single jumps, they suit me.

5'9", 130 pounds, huge single jumps, some doubles - no issue with the blades. They also have sort-of solid sole plates (they are cross cut instead of being "open" - and that's a help in terms of preventing them from pulling and potentially loosening with the heavier torque of a bigger skater. Our skate shop had no problems with putting them on my DD; and they actually are very conscious of the power of her jumping, and accomodate that in terms of her skate boots.

We're probably going with the Supremes for my other kid on the next blade change; it was an easy sell to the coach when she saw the price point vs Gold Seals, and the 30 day guarantee ... end of discussion.

ibreakhearts66
04-02-2010, 02:56 PM
Just popping in to give another good review for Ultimas. I'm not in them, but only because the coach I was supposed to get them from at cost got injured and I desperately needed new blades. Most of the skaters I know are now going into Ultimas, generally the Elite (a skater with all of doubles including 2axel) and Freestyle (skater working on all of his triples). Everyone I know loves them and they're far more affordable than other blades.

I've heard of one skater in blades called "Gold Queens" which are supposed to be like Gold Seals, but I have absolutely no idea where you'd buy them.

sk8tmum
04-02-2010, 04:33 PM
Per Ultima:

Supreme = Gold Seal, Gold Star
Elite = Pattern 99
Freestyle = MK Phantom
Legacy = Coronation Ace, MK Professional
Protege = Comet
Dance = John Wilson Dance, MK Super Dance

Lites= no equivalent blade; the Coronation Ace reference comes from our skating supplier, not from Ultima itself. Otherwise, I'm just taking this off of a brochure that they're publishing on their website.

caffn8me
04-04-2010, 05:57 AM
Lites= no equivalent blade;John Wilson/MK is about to launch a range of lightweight versions of existing blades with carbon fibre mounting plates. The new blades also have different edge treatment to extend life between grinds.

At the moment there's nothing on the website to show the new blades but the UK launch was advertised as being in March but that seems to have slipped. The worldwide launch is scheduled for May. Details will be found at http://www.iceskaterevolution.com/ when they get their act together.

Sarah

Isk8NYC
06-02-2010, 12:49 PM

Just as a followup - I ended up having a pair of Gold Seals mounted that I already owned, but I still have Ultima Lite Lust, lol.  I'll look into this again if I wear these out.
-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright