You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Weak muscles and skating  (Read 2819 times)

Offline sampaguita

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 44
Weak muscles and skating
« on: February 20, 2013, 08:27:17 AM »
I just recently realized that many of my problems in skating are due to weak muscles, e.g., I can't hold an LFO edge because my gluteus medius muscle is weak. Strangely, no matter how often I do that move in skating, it doesn't do anything to make the muscle stronger! I find though that strengthening exercises off-ice actually works better at improving the said muscle than skating itself.

Did any of you have the same problem, i.e., problems with balance or edges that doesn't seem to improve with consistent practice?

Offline rachelplotkin

• Prerotation Society
  • Total GOE: 7
Re: Weak muscles and skating
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2013, 09:16:42 AM »
I had a terrible time with doing a simple one foot glide on my right leg.  The problem was a weakness in the gluteus medius on that side. Once I strengthened that (which didn't take long, btw) I started progressing.  It's possible this is your issue and not the gluteus maximus.  You might want to consider being evaluated by a physical therapist.  If there is a weakness they can give you  exercises to strengthen the specific muscles.

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2013, 05:57:09 PM »
I think a lot of problems in skating are related to strength in general.

I started doing power pulls this week going in the a circle - starting with outside edges and then doing insides (which are considerably easier for me) - I am starting to notice a difference already!

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2013, 06:25:47 PM »
I have one weak leg, one strong. I have to do exercises to strengthen my bad leg.  It was bad enough that my doctor reccomended physical therapy.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline ONskater74

• Intergalactic Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 10
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2013, 07:01:51 PM »
When I started I knew my left side was weaker then the right. I worked out like crazy off ice. There are no bad muscles to develop. Strength is necessary for control. I use 10 lb leg weights on each leg, side leg raises lying on a mat, leg raises lying on my back one leg at a time, standing leg curls, kneeling on all fours backwards leg raises with a lateral (side to side) sweep in between (basically like a spiral leg position). Core is really strengthened, legs are like steel, everything gets so solid. At least that is what I had to do...lots of extra reps on the weak side

Offline rsk8d

• Homologating Quadrubles
  • Total GOE: 12
    • Sk8Strong
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2013, 08:11:57 PM »
Does your foot pronate on that side? That could be more of a cause than glute medius weakness
Visit www.sk8strong.com for off-ice training information, DVDs and more

Offline iomoon

• Needs a Helmet
  • Total GOE: 6
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2013, 03:51:33 PM »
I'm getting custom insoles soon because of supination in the right foot. Maybe changing insoles will help?