You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: oh no - WARNING - chloe noel is a HUGE make!!  (Read 4196 times)

Offline fortune8

• Ice Warrior
  • Total GOE: 1
oh no - WARNING - chloe noel is a HUGE make!!
« on: December 14, 2012, 06:45:34 PM »
My obsessed skater (just turned 5 lol) wanted some big girl training gear for Christmas. I've been researching a while and finally decided the warmth of the polartec would save me the time/money of the 6 layers I usually put on her to skate.

Anyway, it just arrived and I had big sister try it on .... and it was ENORMOUS on HER. No way will it fit either girl properly until she's at least 10 or 12 y/o.

I really did do all the measurements and things before I ordered the CXS.

There's not enough time for Santa to try swapping for something smaller. And actually I don't think they had both top/pants any smaller anyway.  :(

This is the 2nd time I've gotten sizing WAY wrong. The first skating thing I ordered 2 years ago (a Jerry's comp dress for big sister) has the same prob. The size 6 is still huge on her - maybe it'll fit by the time she's 10. So all 2 skating things I've ordered were completely wrong.

Do you think it's typical of skating wear generally to be so huge? I shop online for other things all the time without any sizing problems like this.

PS: Yes my girls are halflings.

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
Re: oh no - WARNING - chloe noel is a HUGE make!!
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2012, 06:54:18 PM »
Its been my experience with dancewear that that the measurements and pictures are lies. Also, runs small. I expect the same for skatingwear.

Anyway, are you sure about the measurements? The XS child has an inseam of 26", I'm 5'2" and mine's only 29, so 26 would seem typical for a 10 year old. I checked other companies and 4-7 year olds clothes come with an inseam of 17"
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 59
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2012, 07:14:17 PM »
Where are they big?  If it's the waist, did you measure her?  http://www.chloenoel.com/site/order/sizeChart.html

The pants were really long on my daughter, but that was fine because they fit the waist.  If she is a small 5 year old you might have gone with the cxxs.  The inseam sounds correct 25.5- remember these go past the heel of the skate.  I have found skating items tend to fit my skater true to measurements so I tend to add 2 inches to girth measurements so she has growing room.

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 59
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2012, 07:17:09 PM »
Ivivvi has a size 4 in their record breaker jacket on clearance for $39. Clearance on  their dance to the beat pants too.

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2012, 07:40:41 PM »
I agree- what part is too big?  If it is the length, it really isn't a problem.  When I wear mine, I can take the hemline fold it up nicely and step on it.  But I just tuck it over my heel and bunch the excess around my calves.  (I am really short, but wear a larger size because I'm not a super skinny kid, but a reasonably sized adult)

If it is the waist/leg width, she'll just have to grow into them, or get them exchanged after Christmas.  You're the first I've ever heard complaining about running big though, skatewear tends to run small.

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2012, 07:54:15 PM »
Looking at the size chart the CXS would be very large on my 7 year old.. the XXS might fit her, but I'd still worry they would be way too loose.. and quite honestly I'm not willing to spend that kind of money on pants that "might" fit her when she has plenty of other skating pants she can wear (Target had some really great base layer leggings last year that were fleece lined, they don't have them this year, but at $12.99 they were a steal and they are perfect for skating).

Offline fortune8

• Ice Warrior
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2012, 08:58:45 PM »
Yes admittedly I did completely ignore the inseam assuming it was to allow for heel and skate height. The waist and everywhere else is wildly baggy though and her tubby little tummy was within the CXS measurements. I don't think the pants will fall down while skating though - hopefully lol.

We are a little stuck for reasonable alternatives to skate wear though. We live in the tropics so winter wear to us is pretty much a pair of cotton stretch leggings. (School uniforms are compulsory here, and the winter uniform is a long sleeved cotton jumper or jacket over the usual shorts and t-shirt. Leggings or track pants are technically allowed  but there'd only be a couple of weeks cold enough to stand long pants so you wouldn't own more than one each). I actually didn't know there was such a thing as fleece leggings LOL or I might've tried online shopping from a cold climate Target instead of Chloe Noel!!

Just had another thought - I wonder if I'm converting cm's to inches properly?? I always err on the side of too big to allow for growth, but the size difference I've gotten so far really suggests a bigger error somewhere.

Offline platyhiker

• Synchro Stompin'
  • Total GOE: 11
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2012, 09:12:56 PM »
For converting to metric, 1" = 2.54 cm.  So the CXS waist converts from 20-24 inches to 50.8 - 60.96 cm (round it to 51 - 61 cm).  The easiest way to be sure you've got the right conversion is use google - just put in "20 inches in cm" and it will give you the conversion.

Offline fortune8

• Ice Warrior
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2012, 08:36:01 AM »
Have since found a bunch of metric converters on google. Doh!!

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2012, 04:03:55 PM »
Jerry's is a weird sizing, but, generally, it's sized small; Mondor kid's is even worse.  My miniature DD wore Size 10-12 Jerry's dresses at 8 ... and Size 8 Mondor at 4, yet, is considered to be very small, tiny, dainty ... and vanishes in the school pictures behind the other kids :)

Chloe runs absolutely true to its measurements, however you do need to measure it properly.  It's also, IMHO, sized for skater's butt:  as most skaters have well-muscled backsides and more muscled thighs, they are a bit baggy on non-skater-butt'ed bodies. The tiny tinies who wear chloe successfully at our rink (including some 4 year olds) are all kids who are quite well-muscled, either thru skating or gymastics or dance ...

Junior UnderArmour works very well for skating, by the way ... and it wears like iron.  Plus being quite useful for gym class, etc, as it's normal in length (not long for skates as Chloe is) - so you get multi-purpose wear from it.