You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Skating update, year 5  (Read 2186 times)

Offline skategeek

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 260
  • or is that geekyskater?
Skating update, year 5
« on: May 31, 2017, 02:53:24 PM »
Continuing to monitor my progress on a geological timescale... Pretty good year!  I started following the newly revised USFS Learn To Skate curriculum in my private lessons and have passed Basic 4 and Adult 4.  Levels 5 and 6 are a work in progress.  I’ve added some ice dance moves (swing rolls, chasses) to my repertoire and I’m enjoying practicing school figures (just forward outside and inside figure 8s so far).  I skated on average between three and four hours per week, including a weekly private lesson and classes at two different rinks, and checked off a bucket list item by skating at Rockefeller Center. I also skated in group programs in three different ice shows - the winter holiday show and spring show at my main rink, and an adult showcase with my group from the other rink.  The goal for the coming year is to keep plugging away at new skills (and stubborn old skills) and maybe do another show or competition.  Plus summer skate camp in Lake Placid!

(Side note:  after about a year of weekly horseback riding lessons I’m probably taking a break for a bit.  It’s fun but I’m tired of being sore for three days afterwards!)

For anyone interested here's a link to my previous updates:  http://skatingforums.com/index.php?topic=7237.0  (link is to year 4; years 1-3 are a few posts down in the thread)

Offline Bill_S

• Over the Edge
  • Total GOE: 369
  • Whack! Bam! Ouch!
    • Bill's skating pages
Re: Skating update, year 5
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2017, 03:05:30 PM »
Great progress!

I have some stubborn old skills to master too. They take most the time and produce the least reward.

I'd love to go to a skating camp like Lake Placid someday. Until I do, I'll just read the reports of those who go. Be sure to post your impressions!
Bill Schneider