You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: How do you choose your program music?  (Read 5283 times)

Offline WaltzJump413

• Doing the Fiesta Tangle!
  • Total GOE: 181
How do you choose your program music?
« on: October 02, 2014, 11:33:12 PM »
I have the chance to be in a Christmas show. (I haven't totally decided whether to do it or not, but it's a very real possibility.)

The program would be a 1:30 minute solo. I'm Freestyle 1.

I've been toying around with music ideas, but I don't know how to pick. I don't want to choose something too powerful for my level, but I like energetic music. And I wouldn't like a boring song, either. :)

How do you decide? Do you choose a song you already like and go from there? Or do you think about the elements you'd include first and work from there?

Sorry if this sounds silly--I've never done a solo before. :blush: I'd just like to hear your thoughts on the process.

Thanks!
ISI Freestyle 2 as of 11/3/14

"A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new." – Albert Einstein

"I can do all things through Christ Who gives me strength."- Philippians 4:13

Offline 4711

• Punching Out Boots
  • Total GOE: 3
Re: How do you choose your program music?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2014, 12:53:26 AM »
I am not a skater, but have done a freestyle before.

I picked something I liked, because I had to listen to it a lot while I composed my program and practiced it. And I still like to listen to it.

Don't pick anything that you can't pull off, too slow or too fast.

pick something that you can easily edit to your length. As a matter of fact my program maximum length was 1:30 as well.
As luck would have it, the piece I picked had a natural break right at that point (Evanesence, Going Under)

And in your case, pick something Christmassy?  ???
(Trans-Sibirian Orchestra or Mannheim Steamroller...maybe?)

Do the solo! It'll be fun! (I did a Taekwondo freestyle for a tournament. I had a blast, first putting the pieces together, then performing it)
:blush: ~ I should be writing~ :blush:

Offline blue111moon

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 34
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2014, 07:31:39 AM »
Pick a bunch of songs you like and take them to the rink and try to skate to them.  You'll be able to tell pretty quickly which ones are too fast for you or which ones just won't work or which ones someone else is already using.

I listen to music in the car: various odd radio stations - NOT the Top 40 stuff.   When I hear something I like or find myself swaying to in my seat, I make a not of it and hunt out the recording.  So I have a library of stuff I like and can choose from when it's time for a new program.  I hate the process of sitting down and listening to piece after piece in a marathon quest for something suitable.  When I do that, I usually end up with something that I can't stand after a few weeks of skating to it.

Offline alejeather

• Ice Tourist
  • Total GOE: 23
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2014, 10:29:23 AM »
I wondered the same thing when picking music for my first program. I got some good advice in this thread: http://skatingforums.com/index.php?topic=4399.msg47563#msg47563

Choosing a first program can be like a first pair of skates. You pick out what fits the best you can, but you learn a lot about what you may want to do differently the next time from that first choice.
"Any day now" turned out to be November 14, 2014.

Offline Neverdull44

• Making the Ice Cake
  • Total GOE: 120
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2014, 03:12:26 PM »
Go for the music that you like the most. 

That being said, I wouldn't advise a very fast song for the first program if you are a new skater.   Doing a program takes alot of heartbeats and breathing, and it will kick you hard.   Adding fast music, and it could be a bad time.  But, a super slow song may require you hold edges or positions.  Try a few songs out on the ice.

I'd love to do this one:
Pretty Paper, by Willie Nelson

More upbeat

And, just a beautiful one . . .

Offline ChristyRN

• Salchow-a-Bunga!
  • Total GOE: 184
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2014, 07:56:21 PM »
Our Christmas program last year was "Christmas around the world" and the adults chose Jimmy Buffett's "Christmas in the Caribbean".  The year before that, our coach brought a bunch of music and we just skated around until one fit--"Silver Bells"--for all four of us at four different levels.

Like Blue111moon suggested, skate to and see what feels best.
Once in his life, every man is entitled to fall madly in love with one gorgeous redhead.  (Lucille Ball)

Offline WaltzJump413

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2014, 11:35:49 AM »
Thanks so much for all your input!

4711,Some of my top ideas are actually from Mannheim Steamroller (and one from Trans-Siberian)!

Alejeather, that thread is so helpful! (BTW, love your quote. I'm sure you'll get that axel! ;))

ChristyRN, Blue111moon--that's a great idea! I never thought of just trying to "interpret" songs like that (although I fool around with it occasionally at public skate). That would be a really good way to pick.

Neverdull44--Thanks for the tips! And "River" is such a beautiful song. I'd never heard that one before.

Offline davincisop

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 162
  • 2017 Goal: Pass Bronze Dances
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2014, 04:51:22 PM »
As far as Christmas goes, Mannheim is always a solid choice. :) Sarah McLaughlins (I butchered the last name) version of River is my favorite. David Archuletta's Pat-a-pan...

I want to one day skate to River and A Spaceman Came Travelling (one of my dad's favorites).

I've got a whole list of christmas music I want to skate to haha. I'll post a photo:

Page 1: http://cl.ly/image/1N150L0u1z19/Screen%20Shot%202014-10-05%20at%204.49.47%20PM.png
Page 2: http://cl.ly/image/303B1s1D020g/Screen%20Shot%202014-10-05%20at%204.49.54%20PM.png
Page 3: http://cl.ly/image/3W3J0n2I0h3m/Screen%20Shot%202014-10-05%20at%204.50.02%20PM.png

Offline WaltzJump413

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2014, 09:53:00 PM »
Thanks for your reply, davincisop! Have you heard of Spotify? I like to make want-to-skate-to lists on there, because you can hear the whole songs for free. :)

Offline littlerain

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 11
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2014, 01:11:04 AM »
Love spotify. I keep thinking I'll listen to some of their playlists to see if I can find something to skate haha

Offline PhysicsOnIce

• Wearing Blade Guards on the Ice
  • Total GOE: 292
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2014, 09:19:52 AM »
Personally, I tend to start with my skating style. I know I prefer longer edges and softer moves which then translates to softer more lyrical music over hip-hoppy rocky music. From there I look if there is a theme that I need/want to follow, and then from there it is a matter of searching Youtube for artist I like and following the YouTube recommendations to other artist.

I also have a preference for music with a story. So, things like " Man of La Manacha" , "Impossible Dream", "Arwen's Vigils" ( My current program music), " Come what may", etc are always in my head when it comes to skating music. I also like to avoid known music, so things like "Jingle Bells" or "Santa is Coming to town" would be completely out of the question for me for a Christmas show. However things like "When you believe" or  "Jesu Joy of Man's Desiring" or "You'll Never Walk Alone "  by Celtic Woman might be something I would skate to.

Let your heart and soul guide your blades

Offline WaltzJump413

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2014, 07:10:17 PM »
Thanks so much for the great advice, PhysicsonIce! I love it. :)

Currently I'm leaning toward a part of the score from The Polar Express. Not sure, though.  :)

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2014, 08:00:29 PM »
My coach sees something in me, and given my physical appearance and the natural rhythm of my strokes, picks something for me.

So far, broadway show tunes and dressed as a guy. I don't know what reverse-drag is called, but I anticipate a competitive career in breeches roles.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline 4711

• Punching Out Boots
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2014, 08:38:45 PM »
My coach sees something in me, and given my physical appearance and the natural rhythm of my strokes, picks something for me.

So far, broadway show tunes and dressed as a guy. I don't know what reverse-drag is called, but I anticipate a competitive career in breeches roles.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtTnCeuYkgI
??

:angel:

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2014, 09:08:49 PM »
I prefer the familiar https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgfAWJbjvGg 

But what I get is something like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJ26grYGF1A
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline 4711

• Punching Out Boots
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2014, 09:17:33 PM »
 ;D
Sorry, but that was funny!

Offline Neverdull44

• Making the Ice Cake
  • Total GOE: 120
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2014, 09:31:15 AM »
that was very funny.   Reminds me of that "Dance Mom" show where one could never believe that the dance school's owner was EVER a dancer!