You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: How did you figure out which rocker type was best for you?  (Read 2619 times)

Offline littlerain

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 11
How did you figure out which rocker type was best for you?
« on: September 06, 2014, 04:21:34 PM »
I'm curious to hear how you guys determined which blade rocker size worked best for you!

Did you just end up on one, and stick with it? Or were there signs that one worked better than the other? How did you tell?

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
Re: How did you figure out which rocker type was best for you?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2014, 04:53:10 PM »
Impulse buy.

I really, really hated my 8 ft rocker beginner blades, so I switched to 7 foot rocker MK Pros.

Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline amy1984

• Wearing Blade Guards on the Ice
  • Total GOE: 14
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2014, 05:22:41 PM »
I've always went with the skate shop's rec.  They usually ask me some questions, give me a couple options that would fit, and that's that.  I get used to whatever I have.  Right now I have a 7 ft rocker (Eclipse Mist), but bth, rocker didn't really factor into my choice.  I actually chose the blade because it was almost exactly the same as another blade but significantly less expensive and also had more sharpening space (my feet aren't growing so this was ++ for me). I guess if you're more advanced, you might have a preference, but for me (Jr Bronze, weak axel, flying spins), I find it doesn't really matter.  I have an adjustment period on new blades anyway, so I guess getting used to whatever rocker I have is just part of that. 

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2014, 05:28:56 PM »
Honestly a lot of it comes from trial and error.

A good example of this is Pattern 99's - most people who try them either LOVE them, or they simply can't stand the "flatter" spin rocker and continually have issues until they switch to a blade with more of a curve.  The fact that some people don't like them and struggle to adapt to them doesn't make them a bad blade, but what it does illustrate is that sometimes you just won't know until you try them.

I do think though, that a majority of skaters are able to adapt to whatever they are skating on, the extreme love/hate reactions are a little more uncommon.  Trying a lot of different blades can be a challenge, but if you happen to know someone who wears the same size skates you do (or close) sometimes you can try out a different boot/blade combo that way.  Some companies (like Jackson Ultima) offer a 30 day satisfaction guarantee, so if you try them and hate them, you can still return them.

Offline Neverdull44

• Making the Ice Cake
  • Total GOE: 120
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2014, 10:06:26 PM »
I am day one, on completely different blades.  I went from totally flat, worn out, MK Professionals (7 rocker when new) to Ultima Elite (8 rocker, similar to Pattern 99's).   My new rocker is a rocker, whereas my old rocker was not.   I feel like I am on beginner blades.  I tried a three turn in them today, and it was really weird.  It's going to take a few weeks.   

Now, not only is it rocker . . but profile.  MK has 2 point profile (two different rocker lengths), but Wilson has 3.  I didn't understand that until I got onto these new blades.  There is a different feeling as I move up the blades, and it changes up twice.   Three turns are weird right now, and I could do them in my sleep normally.   Spinning today was out of the question.

I choose the blade based on the rec shop and my coach.   Because my old blades were so flat and I am going to be going into doubles shortly (currently putting loops behind the single jumps), she didn't see a problem with Pattern 99's 8 foot profile.  She was worried about the bottom toe pick and warned me about it, but I didn't hit it today because of the big rocker.   I've slipped off my toe on a number of takeoffs with the smaller, top toe picks.  And, coach wants me to get more height in the jumps. 

That being said, it's going to take a few weeks of relearning how to skate.  If I don't like them, I can return them.  The man at the skate shop says that only about 2% of the skaters return, in his estimation.   

Offline rd350

• Glides at Will
  • Total GOE: 8
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2014, 11:03:39 PM »
Good thread.  As I wait for my new boots, I keep wondering about blades too.  Currently leaning towards sticking with Coronation Ace, like I have now but wish I could try the Pattern 99's (which the fitter recommended as an option - well another brand, but similar).

How amazing that some places have return policies on blades!
Working on Silver MITF and Bronze Freestyle

Offline littlerain

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 11
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2014, 02:01:58 AM »
I agree! I love anywhere with a good return policy.

Thanks for all your responses - I think it is interesting. ☺️ Agnes, glad to hear impulse buys happen to people besides me lol

Offline Neverdull44

• Making the Ice Cake
  • Total GOE: 120
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2014, 07:23:28 AM »
It's the manufacturer that has the return policy.  In this case, it was Ultima.