You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Knee bend - when/how did it click?  (Read 4499 times)

Offline littlerain

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 11
Knee bend - when/how did it click?
« on: August 18, 2014, 12:36:31 AM »
I think I can skate with good knee bend if I focus on it, but I feel like it is something I actually have to think about. Do you guys have any tips for knee bend, or is it one of those things you just have to keep working on?

Were there any exercises you did (off or on ice), or any things that you made sure to think of to get proper knee bend? (For example, I've been told on occasion to think of my thigh parallel to the ice)

Curious to hear your thoughts!

Offline Doubletoe

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 139
Re: Knee bend - when/how did it click?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2014, 01:08:29 AM »
I think, "butt low" and I also think of pressing my lower shins into the laces of my skates so that my knees are over my toes.  Thinking of thighs parallel to the ice and pushing from side to side while staying low (instead of rising up with each push/stroke) is good, too. :)  I think you need to keep thinking about it because the kind of deep knee bend that shows good form is NOT comfortable and we unconsciously start doing what is comfortable if we aren't paying attention.

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2014, 01:33:56 AM »
For some of us, getting low is a matter of strength as much as habit. Try it barefoot on the floor - maybe you don't have enough strength to do deep (e.g., 90 degree) single leg knee bends. (Or maybe you can only do them one way - going down, but haven't the strength to come back up on one leg.)

So squats (deep knee bends), both double foot and (if you can do it without getting your knee to bend sideways, which some of us have trouble with) single leg, might help. If strength is the issue.

At the gym, leg presses (double leg, single leg) are squats, if you start from deeply bent knees, but the machine helps keep your knees in alignment, and it lets you safely start out with less than full body weight if strength is a big issue.

Leg presses on a machine don't fully imitate doing the motion without a machine, so if you can, do deep knee bends without the machine too.

I've seen GOOD figure skaters use leg press machines - though some of them are trying to generate strength to jump higher, rather than to get lower.

Squats and leg presses tire you out too. So maybe don't do it just before or after skating?

I've found that warming up helps me a bit - but, again, don't tire yourself out warming up, just do enough to create a bit of a sweat.

The usual standard now is to say you shouldn't stretch before the main exercise, though you should gradually work yourself up to full current range of motion during the warm-up. They say to do your real stretches after the exercise. But for me personally (very limited flexibility), I find that stretching a bit before hand helps for some skating things - but not for knee bends, where I already have the flexibility to do a full squat. Once you have the flexibility you need for the moves you are doing, getting more flexible can actually be counter-productive. E.g., if you can bend as much as you need to for a shoot-the-duck or sit spin, being more flexible means you need a lot more strength to hold the position.

Shoot the ducks can be practiced off ice, though the balance is different.

Offline littlerain

• On the Edge
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2014, 02:16:25 AM »
Thanks for the tips doubletoe! I was afraid someone would say that it IS one of those things to always think about lol. I will try thinking about those things - esp since I notice I totally rise up with each stroke

Query, you are definitely right about strength! Initially, that was a big factor for me. Having been blessed with a fast metabolism, I've never been athletic to any degree and my lifestyle has become increasingly inactive, ha! Part of the reason why I decided I must start skating! (Shocked I manage to hold myself up sometimes lol)

I periodically remember to do squats on a regular basis, and definitely noticed that it helped initially. Think I need to keep at it. I can glide all day all the way down on a dip or shoot the duck, if I have used two feet to get there lol. I definitely don't have the strength to get down or up from a shoot the duck on one foot.

I never warm up beforehand, and I really think I should do something. Will look for warm up threads here :)

Offline Loops

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 112
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2014, 04:01:40 AM »
I have to always think about the knee bend.......

The suggestions you've been given are good.  I would add "wall chair" to your list, too.  You want to have your back, shoulders and butt flat against the wall, and your knees bent at 90 degrees.  Hold that bad boy for as long as you can.  You'll feel it quickly.  Our trainer has us do this, and it's nice to have someone pushing you, and others to chat with while you're doing it, so you don't watch the clock/count in your head.   I think it's one of Moir and Virtue's "favorite's" as well....

I don't recall if you do free- 1 legged squats are torture, but bril for getting that low sitspin.......

Offline littlerain

• On the Edge
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2014, 09:06:53 PM »

I have to always think about the knee bend.......

The suggestions you've been given are good.  I would add "wall chair" to your list, too.  You want to have your back, shoulders and butt flat against the wall, and your knees bent at 90 degrees.  Hold that bad boy for as long as you can.  You'll feel it quickly.  Our trainer has us do this, and it's nice to have someone pushing you, and others to chat with while you're doing it, so you don't watch the clock/count in your head.   I think it's one of Moir and Virtue's "favorite's" as well....

I don't recall if you do free- 1 legged squats are torture, but bril for getting that low sitspin.......

Oh, good call! I had forgotten that. I am just starting on the freestyle levels so we'll see how that goes for me lol

Offline WaltzJump413

• Doing the Fiesta Tangle!
  • Total GOE: 181
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2014, 12:10:09 AM »
Here's another good exercise: the Figure 4 squat. I love this one. http://www.shape.com/fitness/workouts/12-ways-spice-your-squats-better-results/slide/11

And here's a youtube channel (of the trainer in that article) with lots of awesome free workouts--https://www.youtube.com/user/jessicasmithtv/featured  :D
ISI Freestyle 2 as of 11/3/14

"A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new." – Albert Einstein

"I can do all things through Christ Who gives me strength."- Philippians 4:13

Offline littlerain

• On the Edge
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2014, 02:14:38 AM »

Here's another good exercise: the Figure 4 squat. I love this one. http://www.shape.com/fitness/workouts/12-ways-spice-your-squats-better-results/slide/11

And here's a youtube channel (of the trainer in that article) with lots of awesome free workouts--https://www.youtube.com/user/jessicasmithtv/featured  :D

Ohhh good one! Thanks !

Offline sampaguita

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 44
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2014, 07:17:05 AM »
It wasn't until my dance coach taught me basic stroking that I learned how much knee bend I should really use. I don't think it's much about muscle strength -- it's more muscle memory.

What I do recommend is practicing off-ice stroking -- the same motion, but off-ice. Do it in front of a mirror so you get feedback on your form, allowing the proper muscle memory to set. Just make sure to hold on to something while doing off-ice stroking so you don't strain your knees.