You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Issue with getting the Splits  (Read 2074 times)

Offline cameocooper

• Ice Warrior
  • Total GOE: 0
Issue with getting the Splits
« on: May 02, 2015, 07:14:59 AM »
I have for the last couple of weeks done stretching almost everyday, and can almost get down into an full split. The only problem I have is once I am in the splits I can't stay there has the foot of the back leg start to become painfully with putting any amount of pressure on the top of the foot. Does anyone has any suggest on any exercise that I can do, to first get used to putting pressure on the top of the foot, and secondly I would say increase the flexibility of the ankle joint.
it not just a issue with the splits when I was doing martial arts and had to sit in a kneeling position, I couldn't unless I cross my feet under me. I have a feel that some sort of ballet feet exercises would help, but just can't seem to find any online.

Offline Doubletoe

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 139
Re: Issue with getting the Splits
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2015, 07:19:56 PM »
Why is there pressure on top of the back foot?  You should be starting with the knee of the back leg on the floor and going down the rest of the way from there.  If there is any pressure, it should be on that knee, not on the foot.

Offline amy1984

• Wearing Blade Guards on the Ice
  • Total GOE: 14
Re: Issue with getting the Splits
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2015, 09:16:29 PM »
I would guess the pressure is on the foot because you're not quite all the way down into the splits.  As mentioned already, the pressure should be on your knee.  You should be going down knee first.  You may also have pressure on your foot if you're engaging the muscles tightly and pushing up if that seems to make sense.

Unfortunately, although there are stretching tools and tips and blah blah blah, this is something that usually just takes time and how long it will take to do so depends on a number of things that are out of your control.  Just keep stretching and practicing.