You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Figure skating blades  (Read 2134 times)

Offline Sarah

• Rink Rat
  • Total GOE: 0
  • I wear Edea not rentals haha
Figure skating blades
« on: April 04, 2020, 07:29:27 AM »
Hi everyone!

I am looking to get new blades and I was debating whether to get the JW gold seals or the JW gold seal revs, I am not too sure what the difference is and was wondering if anyone knew or had tried both of them and noticed any difference, I just need some guidance to help me decide which to get, the price jump is a bit big but I feel like it's worth it if the revs have that much of a substantial difference...

Thank you so much! :)

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
Re: Figure skating blades
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2020, 11:09:10 AM »
I've used both - the Revs are lighter and feel "springy" on jump landings.  It's a very slight difference, but it noticeable to me because I'm a little weak these days.  Frankly, a little off-ice training would make the weight difference negligible.  (Think about it: if

Downside of the Revs is the material used for the sole plates/blade chassis.  It gets scratched, dinged, chipped pretty easily - I do very few jumps and yet, my blades look like crap.  The silver-grey toned color is just the outer color - the interior color is black and it shows when the outside gets damaged.  A paint marker makes it less noticeable.

You also have to dry the Revs obsessively well.  The areas where the blade is secured to the chassis is difficult to dry thoroughly, so slight rust spots develop at the top.  It's cosmetic, as far as I can tell, but I use my skates to skate 10 blocks of time each week.  The only way I know of to really dry that area is use compressed air to "blow out" all the moisture.  I settle for drying them, leaving them to warm up, drying them again and then putting the soakers on.  I never "air out" my skates - just leave the skate bag open to let air circulate.  YMMV

Bill_S has a number of great blade analyses on our board; try searching the Pro Shop forum for his Gold Seal discussion. 

"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline Sarah

• Rink Rat
  • Total GOE: 0
  • I wear Edea not rentals haha
Re: Figure skating blades
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2020, 09:38:24 AM »
Hi!

Thank you so much!

I currently use ankle weights when doing jumps and I am thinking about getting a weighted vests to build strength in my whole body so I think I am gonna go for just the gold seals, I don't want to be spending an obscene amount on the revs if they aren't really that worth it :))