You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Taking All MIF, FS, And Dance Tests In Order?  (Read 2766 times)

Offline slcbelle

• Blade Runner
  • Total GOE: 224
  • Yes, I'm obsessed.
    • YouTube Videos
Taking All MIF, FS, And Dance Tests In Order?
« on: June 20, 2013, 09:53:55 AM »
I think I'm obsessed with patches.  I want to collect them all!  I'm also a bit of an achiever and I like to check off things in a bucket list of accomplishments.  I envision a wall of framed patches and, sometime, medals from competitions.  It gives me a warm, fuzzy feeling to look at certificates and awards.

I passed my Pre-Bronze MIF and FS last year and will test Bronze MIF in 3 weeks.  After that, I was planning to work on my Bronze FS (and even have my program) but I'm having second thoughts.  Perhaps I should hold off on the Bronze FS test and compete at Pre-Bronze for a bit rather than bulldoze my way to Bronze. Why rush? By not taking my Bronze FS,  I'll have time to really work on technique and the requirements for Bronze and enjoy success at the Pre-Bronze level.  Instead, I'm thinking of taking the solo Pre Dance tests after my Bronze MIF.  The dance tests will give me an intro to skating, using the whole sheet, to music and help me with my edges and cadence.  Once I pass the Pre Dance tests, and compete a time or two at Pre-Bronze, I'd take the Bronze FS.  My thought is that it would be helpful, and thorough, to take all the tests at one level before moving up to the next.  Of course, I'll still be working on the the jumps and spins for the Bronze FS but without the internal pressure of having to get it done within a certain time frame.  The dance tests will give me another testing goal that seems, to me, to be easily achievable.

Has anyone done the same?  In what order did you do things?  What are your thoughts?  I know some are not interested at all in dance.  I'm interested in everything!  I'm just kicking around ideas of how to proceed after the Bronze MIF.
Adult Silver FS, Intermediate MITF
Videos:  http://www.youtube.com/itslex71
Bronze Level Test Judge - Singles/Pairs
Non-Qual Competition Judge

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
Re: Taking All MIF, FS, And Dance Tests In Order?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2013, 10:19:36 AM »
I think very few people take the usfs tests strictly in order across the disciplines, the tests do not necessarily correspond to the same skating level. for example, I think silver dances are much harder than the silver moves.

also if the skater actively competes freestyle, it's very common to hold off the freestyle tests to stay competitive. I think this applies to adults as well in some regions, definitely at nationals. so skaters test as high up in the moves as possible and test freestyle only when moving up in competition level.

to answer your question, I think taking the bronze fs test when you are ready is a good idea, unless you really really want to compete pre bronze for a while and your area is super competitive. I think you will continue to improve the same sets of freestyle elements between pre bronze and bronze.

picking up dance is great, it improves basics and gives a completely new dimension of skating.

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2013, 02:57:12 PM »
Yeah, so I'm working on gold moves and hope to have those ready to test this fall.. but I've yet to take my bronze FS test.  It's not that I can't do the required elements, I just don't like working on my program(s) and I haven't even committed to testing my bronze yet so that is holding me back from testing silver.  My bronze program isn't fully finished because I don't like working on it.  My silver program is done, but I have to get through bronze before I can test that one.  That said, I still consider myself a silver level skater even though I haven't passed my silver FS test.

I have absolutely no plans to compete so for me testing freeskate levels is more of a "I want to be able to say I did it" thing than a "must do it by ____" goal.  I enjoy working on elements in isolation, but putting them together in a program really stresses me out.  Moves in the field for me is much more methodical and I actually enjoy working on them... which is why I have tested up higher without taking the corresponding freeskate tests and I'm still spending more time working on moves than my freeskate programs. 

Personally, in your situation I'd put a bronze program together and work on it even if you don't plan on testing right away... that way when you are ready, you'll have less work to do and you'll already be really comfortable with it :)  Plus in most competitions you can choose to skate up a level if you want to, so you don't even need to pass the bronze test to compete at that level if you wanted to just put it out there and see how you do.

Dance is great too but I wouldn't take solo dance tests - if you were ever to want to compete with a partner (and never say never!) you can't if you tested solo without retaking the test, which means extra time and expense.  If you test with a partner you can then compete either solo or partnered.  I've considered working on my preliminary and pre-bronze dances (I actually know them all, they just need some polish to be able to test them) just to have some other tests to work on but if I did I would find a partner to test them with me just so I wouldn't ever run the risk of having to "re-do" those tests later on.

I also agree with jjane that the levels aren't equal across the board... especially the dances.  Pre-silver and Silver dances are more like gold MITF difficulty, which would make sense since they are the 4th and 5th tests, not the third.  If you compare them straight across the board, first test against first test they are more comparable... but the names of course don't match up at all.

There are also 3 adult figure tests.. I plan on taking my bronze test some time this fall, and hopefully my silver test at some point after that if my club can find enough judges for it.  Of course there's nothing saying you can't take the regular figure tests either :)

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2013, 03:16:03 PM »
Have you seen this thread?  Why should I take my bronze free skate test?

I have absolutely no plans to compete so for me testing freeskate levels is more of a "I want to be able to say I did it" thing than a "must do it by ____" goal...
Pre-silver and Silver dances are more like gold MITF difficulty, which would make sense since they are the 4th and 5th tests, not the third.  If you compare them straight across the board, first test against first test they are more comparable... but the names of course don't match up at all.

First test against first test makes sense. Preliminary dances ~ pre-bronze MITF, pre-bronze dances ~ bronze MITF, and bronze dances ~ silver MITF. My dance friend passed silver MITF *years* ago, has since actively worked on dances, and just currently started gold dances. Dances are completely different animals.

Offline CaraSkates

• Doing the Fiesta Tangle!
  • Total GOE: 367
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2013, 04:05:27 PM »

First test against first test makes sense. Preliminary dances ~ pre-bronze MITF, pre-bronze dances ~ bronze MITF, and bronze dances ~ silver MITF. My dance friend passed silver MITF *years* ago, has since actively worked on dances, and just currently started gold dances. Dances are completely different animals.

I think that's fairly accurate. Somewhere I saw something that listed Pre-Silver as a Novice level test but I can't remember where... My friend who has passed both senior MIF and FS started dance after passing senior MIF - flew through everything up till pre-gold and then found she had to work a little - and now that she is working on her gold dances, she has to work even more!

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2013, 04:26:44 PM »

There are also 3 adult figure tests.. I plan on taking my bronze test some time this fall, and hopefully my silver test at some point after that if my club can find enough judges for it.  Of course there's nothing saying you can't take the regular figure tests either :)

This is great that you mention this - a lot of people don't know that you can still test figures - and also that there is an adult test structure in figures - I took the Bronze years ago (even though I had passed Preliminary and 1st figure when I was a kid) and having been working on Silver off and on for... years!!

What fun!

I think comparing dance levels of MITF and FS is kind of like comparing apples and oranges.  They are both fruit - but so different!!

I have passed up through one Pre-Gold - there is no way I could ever pass Silver Moves - again - a whole different animal.

And yeah, solo dance is not so interesting... but you have to practice solo (which is why not having a partner is no excuse not to dance - although many people will use that as an excuse) - having a partner is one thing but having a good coach who can take you through the tests or a coach who has a good skater who can partner with you - this is the way to go for dance!!

Offline slcbelle

• Blade Runner
  • Total GOE: 224
  • Yes, I'm obsessed.
    • YouTube Videos
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2013, 10:45:05 AM »
I enjoy working on elements in isolation, but putting them together in a program really stresses me out.  Moves in the field for me is much more methodical and I actually enjoy working on them... 

I love Moves for the same reason.  But, then, I'm finding that I don't really know how to "skate" if you know what I mean.  To cover the entire sheet of ice with flow and carriage.  I think I could get stuck in the weeds if I stick to just Moves because I get hung up on the field diagrams.

Dance is great too but I wouldn't take solo dance tests - if you were ever to want to compete with a partner (and never say never!) you can't if you tested solo without retaking the test, which means extra time and expense.  If you test with a partner you can then compete either solo or partnered. 

So, I'll say it...NEVER.  I am not a team player and don't like doing sports or activities that require the assistance and participation of another person.  Skating close to someone that could step or trip me, or vice versa, isn't for me.  Solo all the way.

I want to do figures, too!  USFSA patches...collect them all!  (By Mattel)

Have you seen this thread?  Why should I take my bronze free skate test?

Ah!  Nationals!  Good point.  Still, I'm not ready for the Bronze FS.  I'm hoping once I get my new boots, the sit spin and jumps will be easier for me.  Right now, they kill my heel. 

Adult Silver FS, Intermediate MITF
Videos:  http://www.youtube.com/itslex71
Bronze Level Test Judge - Singles/Pairs
Non-Qual Competition Judge

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2013, 11:07:40 AM »
So, I'll say it...NEVER.  I am not a team player and don't like doing sports or activities that require the assistance and participation of another person.  Skating close to someone that could step or trip me, or vice versa, isn't for me.  Solo all the way.

I said exactly the same thing until I actually tried it (or got grabbed into it)  :P 
It's frustrating yet awarding.

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2013, 12:31:00 PM »
I said exactly the same thing until I actually tried it (or got grabbed into it)  :P 
It's frustrating yet awarding.

And it gets even more fun the higher up you go in the dance structure!!