You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: "I am having so much fun fooling around"... favorite or crazy tricks on ice?  (Read 12426 times)

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
LOL so I was at practice tonight and a friend did something like lunge into a sit spin attempt. I tried it myself and man it's so wild / weird / crazy / out of control that I don't know if it's possible at all! It's a lot of fun, but definitely not working for neither of us yet! On the other hand, lunge into an upright spin was not that bad.

So yeah, what are your favorite "I am having fun fooling around" attempts or tricks? I am still trying to figure out if it's possible to do a forward 3 turn in shoot the duck position!  ;D

Offline Sk8Dreams

• CER-B
  • Quintuple Salflutzchow
  • Total GOE: 70
  • On Edge
I am still trying to figure out if it's possible to do a forward 3 turn in shoot the duck position!  ;D
I used to do them on roller skates during shoot the duck contests on the public sessions. I would bet they can be done on ice too; but it's probably much more difficult. I like to have fun doing F power pulls to whatever rhythm is in the music. Not original, but fun.

My glass is half full :)

Offline jwrnsktr

• Ice Warrior
  • Total GOE: 5
All I have to say is that you must have pretty good knees.  I'm just happy to be on the ice any way I can.  It's all about having fun, right?

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
I have no tricks at all.  But I just love to spin. If things are going bad for me- scratch spin it is.  I like to play with my arms in different positions and pretend I look like a graceful olympian (instead of probably just silly).

Last time I was on a public session I did some scratch spins for my nephew (2 yrs) to watch.  I got off the ice and DH said "You traveled like crazy, but every little girl on the ice just stopped and stared at you."  That really made my day (except maybe the traveling part...)  I remember being that little girl, wondering how they spun so fast.

Offline MimiG

• CER-A
  • Intergalactic Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 64
I love to fool around with footwork/figures "tricks" like long one-foot footwork or Maltese Crosses and really bad attempts at grapevines (pretty much each foot doing different footwork simultaneously)

Offline SillyAdultSkater

• Homologating Quadrubles
  • Total GOE: 82
  • Cleverly disguised as an adult.
    • CheapSkate
I'm usually a lot more focused on ice than I am on rollers, most of the fooling around happens on rollers. Occasionally, I discover new stuff that way - learning to spin on them happened by accident from some mohawks and attempts at a spread eagle inside-edged.
_██_
(ಠ_ృ)   Good day sir.

Offline Pandora

• Axelicious!
  • Total GOE: 3
Old, odd, unusual jumps..... Bockel (inside axel), Coolege (one foot axel), Bockey? (inside axel with inner back landing so, basically bockel +coolege)... Wish I could do a decent walley (sigh)...  :-[

For spins...Anything "weird." Traveling Camel, Hillary Camel (easy for ex-roller); strange combos (ie. L sit with inverted tuck, holding tuck position/skate blade up into L catch camel. Cool.  8))  I also want to try to figure out some way of flying into the forward camel. Not sure how to do this.... ???  But would love to figure out somethng.... Any suggestions?

I also like to copy slides. I can do the twisting one and the one with one leg out straight, and the knee bend one, but there are so many cool ones out there... Weir's backbend (not in my lifetime) and Yaugudin's slide on one elbow....WOW!!  :o (Again, not in my lifetime...)  :D

P.S. I was sorry to hear about your forum.  :-[
But it's great that you started another one. I meet some of you at LP adult camp and had a really good time. I am glad that you have a new forum.  :)

Offline Sk8Dreams

• CER-B
  • Quintuple Salflutzchow
  • On Edge
All I have to say is that you must have pretty good knees. 

Hah!  I used to, before all those #@*^ shoot the ducks, that no one knew were bad for us back then in the 60's.

Offline davincisop

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • 2017 Goal: Pass Bronze Dances

Hah!  I used to, before all those #@*^ shoot the ducks, that no one knew were bad for us back then in the 60's.

shoot the ducks are bad for you? I see kids doing them all the time at my rink...

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
Thanks so much for your reminder! I am certainly trying to baby my knees / ankles / hips such that they don't come back to bite me in the decades to come. Bodies can only take so much abuse, after all!

Offline SillyAdultSkater

• Homologating Quadrubles
  • Total GOE: 82
  • Cleverly disguised as an adult.
    • CheapSkate

Hah!  I used to, before all those #@*^ shoot the ducks, that no one knew were bad for us back then in the 60's.

shoot the ducks are bad for you? I see kids doing them all the time at my rink...

Eh, depends really. Shoot-the-ducks are essentially one-legged squats. There's a "right" way to do squats which is safe, and a "wrong" way which will ruin your knees very, very fast. Difference is the position of your knee versus the position of your toes. You can google about that. Anyhow, my observation, for MY knees: back shoot-the-ducks (hydroblades?) and sit spins are fine, forward ones kill my knees too. One or two is ok but doing them practice after practice, well my body quickly started to object. Which is why I stopped doing the forward ones after I tested them and now can't do one for my life.
_██_
(ಠ_ృ)   Good day sir.

Offline Sk8Dreams

• CER-B
  • Quintuple Salflutzchow
  • On Edge

Deep knee bends are bad for the knees.  Shoot the ducks are one legged deep knee bends.  SillyAdultSkater (SAS) says there is a right way to do them.  I haven't heard that, but it's certainly worth a google or two as she suggests.

Offline LilJen

• Doing the Fiesta Tangle!
  • Total GOE: 56
Re: "I am having so much fun fooling around"... favorite or crazy tricks on ice?
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2010, 11:03:02 AM »
I like to play with hydroblades (backwards in a circle). While I'm sure it's nowhere near what I want it to look like (a la Matt Savoie) I'll get it low enough one of these days. I would also like to do a butterfly (like in a footwork sequence), but I need to get comfy with them off-ice first (did gymnastics as a kid, including an aerial, which is pretty much what a butterfly is).

Offline kayskate

• Mohawk of Doom
  • Total GOE: 88
    • Figure Skating Journal
Re: "I am having so much fun fooling around"... favorite or crazy tricks on ice?
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2010, 11:09:06 PM »
LOL so I was at practice tonight and a friend did something like lunge into a sit spin attempt. I tried it myself and man it's so wild / weird / crazy / out of control that I don't know if it's possible at all! It's a lot of fun, but definitely not working for neither of us yet! On the other hand, lunge into an upright spin was not that bad.

I do lunge into sit spin and lunge into camel. Canadian skater Nicole Watt did lunge-camel and inspired my attempts. So, yes, it is very possible. I also teach skaters to do lunge-upright. I find it helps them to achieve the deep knee bend they need to center. See the spin clinic thread.

To Pandora: to do a flying forward sit, watch Ilia Klimkin. He does a back camel, jump forward camel. A few yrs ago, I worked on a flying forward camel entered from a FI3, jump, land in forward camel. Both of these are very difficult, IMO.

Kay
Kay
Visit my skating journal
www.skatejournal.com

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2010, 11:57:51 PM »
Haha, great to know, Kay! Thanks everyone for your input.

Practicing in public sessions seems to bring out the wilder side of me...

Offline sk8lady

• Silver Streak
  • On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 102
  • I'm sideways!
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2010, 08:27:42 AM »
I like to play with hydroblades (backwards in a circle). While I'm sure it's nowhere near what I want it to look like (a la Matt Savoie) I'll get it low enough one of these days.

I can do great forward hydroblades, but I can't seem to lay down on the ice doing the back ones without actually falling over sideways--my coach was speculating that I have trouble getting a deep enough outside edge, partly because my feet pronate.

Latest trick tried was a waltz-toe loop-loop. Not necessarily fun for someone who hates jumping but it was interesting!

Offline Pandora

• Axelicious!
  • Total GOE: 3
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2010, 01:00:02 PM »
Kay,
Thanks for the info on Klimkin. :-)
I watched quite a few of his vids....Nice flying spins. And can spin in both directions.....WOW!!  :o
Also, found the flying forward camel at 0.55.
http://www.youtube.com/v/EmVod-LMkxg?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/EmVod-LMkxg?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
Yes, I see what you mean about it being nasty...
It looks evil:laugh:

Offline Sierra

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 97
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2010, 05:22:20 PM »
Anyone ever tried a forwards-to-backwards lunge into a split? I've seen girls at my rink do this. While in the backward lunge they simply drop the front leg into a split. I haven't gotten the turning to backwards part yet.

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2010, 11:53:19 PM »
I could totally see that split from a back lunge! Maybe one day in the distant future :)

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
  • Total GOE: 49
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2010, 03:21:45 AM »
Anyone ever tried a forwards-to-backwards lunge into a split? I've seen girls at my rink do this. While in the backward lunge they simply drop the front leg into a split. I haven't gotten the turning to backwards part yet.

Not tried the split bit (my legs don't go there), but I got the forwards to backwards bit with an inside 3turn. Never worked out how to manage an outside 3 from a lunge.

I've also never worked out how to get into a backwards lunge without 3turning from forwards! That's next on my want list (along with ina bauers and spreadeagles and other stuff they don't teach but you're meant to pick up).

Offline Sk8Dreams

• CER-B
  • Quintuple Salflutzchow
  • On Edge
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2010, 01:12:04 PM »
I've also never worked out how to get into a backwards lunge without 3turning from forwards! That's next on my want list

Someone on the old board gave a great tip on this: Stand facing the boards, hold on get into lunge position, then whack the ice hard several times with the inside of your free foot boot.  This helps you get the feel for orienting your free foot, and thus not catching the blade, when lowering down into the back lunge.

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
Bumping another old post.

A new addition from public sessions include hydroblade into half flip, but attempts to add a real flip always result in flops.

Also trying to hold the free leg blade during one-foot upright spin, but sigh my free leg is heavier than I think!

(My knee does not like sit spins and shoot the ducks are dramatically reduced)

Offline sk8lady

• Silver Streak
  • On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 102
  • I'm sideways!
I have a back inside hydroblade into a loop in my program. When it works it's impressive but sometimes I get a head rush while I'm coming up into the set position!!

Offline retired

• Gamified Figure Skater!
  • Total GOE: 71
We were doing waltz jumps over the cones the other night. 

Offline Ellyn

• Under the Edge
  • Total GOE: 1
I was practicing all the elements from the prepreliminary freestyle test in my opposite direction. I'd say they're all borderline -- recognizable beginner attempts. The toe loop and salchow would need some more practice to actually leave the ice enough.