You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Linked Events

• Equipment Maintenance: September 08, 2021 - September 10, 2021
  • Equipment Maintenance: October 08, 2021 - October 10, 2021
  • Equipment Maintenance: November 08, 2021 - November 10, 2021
  • Equipment Maintenance: December 08, 2021 - December 10, 2021
  • Equipment Maintenance: January 08, 2022 - January 10, 2022
  • Equipment Maintenance: February 08, 2022 - February 10, 2022
  • Equipment Maintenance: March 08, 2022 - March 10, 2022
  • Equipment Maintenance: April 08, 2022 - April 10, 2022
  • Equipment Maintenance: May 08, 2022 - May 10, 2022
  • Equipment Maintenance: June 30, 2022 - July 02, 2022
  • Equipment Maintenance: July 08, 2022 - July 10, 2022
  • Equipment Maintenance: August 08, 2022 - August 10, 2022
  • Equipment Maintenance: September 08, 2022 - September 10, 2022
  • Equipment Maintenance: October 08, 2022 - October 10, 2022
  • Equipment Maintenance: November 08, 2022 - November 10, 2022
  • Equipment Maintenance: December 08, 2022 - December 10, 2022
  • Equipment Maintenance: January 08, 2023 - January 10, 2023

Author Topic: Equipment Maintenance Reminder  (Read 24858 times)

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
Equipment Maintenance Reminder
« on: March 22, 2011, 08:24:42 PM »
To keep your skating equipment in good condition, take care of it regularly and it'll last much longer!  This discussion thread is linked to an Equipment Maintenance Reminder on the skatingforums' calendar.  On the 8th of each month, the reminder will appear as an Event for the board.  If you see it, do it!

Here are a few things you might want to inspect and/or do:

. Sharpen blades
. Check blade screws

. Clean/polish boots
. Waterproof boots
. Deodorize boots / clean insoles
. Replace laces

. Clean skate guards
. Wash/dry/replace drying cloth
. Wash/dry/mend soakers

. Tighten screws on rolling skate bags (Esp. Zuca bags)
. Check the wheels on all rolling bags to remove any junk that might stop them from turning smoothly.

. Restock tissues, water bottle, pen/pencil and notebook

When you get your blades sharpened, make a note in your calendar/notebook so you can predict the next needed sharpening.  Or, use a permanent marker to write the date on the blade soleplate.  I usually write my DDs' names, too, because they wear the same size skates - keeps skates together as pairs.  (Tip: a Rockerz rep once told me that the cheaper permanent markers last longer on their guards, rather than Sharpie-brand markers.)
-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright

Offline AgnesNitt

• Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
Re: Equipment Maintenance Reminder
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2011, 08:44:05 PM »
I keep extra blade towels in my bag because coach keeps forgetting his.

And maybe it's just me, but I end up with a fistful of public skate bracelets at the bottom of the bag. Clean those out.

Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2011, 08:53:33 PM »
I used to end up with lots of quarters in the bottom of my bag, tossed in when I received change from the cashier, so it was a 'rewarding experience' to clean it out.  Alas, punch and credit cards have eliminated my source of "Found Money."  Now, I toss it in the snack bar's tips cup.  It's staffed with high school/college kids who are really nice.  I figure it helps keep the snack bar open to buy stuff there.

One of our Zuca bags had a wheel that bought the farm shortly after we bought the frame/bag.  I tightened it (didn't help), which is when I found out that she was also missing a frame nut-and-bolt set.  The frame and bag was under warranty, so Zuca sent me two replacement wheel assemblies along with two pairs of the frame nuts-and-bolts.  I fixed her bag tonight and took it for a run in the dark, lol.  The kids next door were fascinated by the fireflies in the wheels!
-- Isk8NYC --

Offline Jennymd

• Sour Cow Herd
  • Total GOE: 3
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2011, 09:44:05 PM »
. Check blade screws

Definitely a good idea to do this! The other week I discovered one of my blade screws was loose to the point my blade was moving from side to side on the bottom of the boot... I'm so glad I discovered it off-ice while drying them and not accidentally when landing a jump, that could've been disasterous!

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2011, 09:52:43 PM »
Definitely a good idea to do this! The other week I discovered one of my blade screws was loose to the point my blade was moving from side to side on the bottom of the boot... I'm so glad I discovered it off-ice while drying them and not accidentally when landing a jump, that could've been disasterous!

If you have new skates and the blades are properly aligned, get the permanent screws put in so you don't have this very problem.  The slotted temporary mounts don't hold up under jumping.
-- Isk8NYC --

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2011, 11:00:16 PM »
If you're tired of paying for "moisture absorbers" for the inside of your skates, go to a craft store, buy silica gel crystals (the kind they use for flower drying) and some charcoal (which you can get from an aquarium store).  Place silica crystals in one discarded tight leg, charcoal in the other, and insert them both in a last discarded tight leg (making sure the final product isn't too fat to fit right in the skate. Use them faithfully to absorb moisture and odour in the skates; and, because you can re-charge the silica gel crystals easily when they absorb their maximum in moisture, you save a great deal of money over time, as well as preserving the inner layer of leather in the skate, deodorizing and drying the skate bag by having them in there, and also avoiding having the extra weight that the accumulated sweat and dampness adds to your boots.

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2011, 01:05:21 AM »
Clean gel pads...

Offline jumpingbeansmom

• Wearing Blade Guards on the Ice
  • Total GOE: 60
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2011, 10:07:06 AM »
If you're tired of paying for "moisture absorbers" for the inside of your skates, go to a craft store, buy silica gel crystals (the kind they use for flower drying) and some charcoal (which you can get from an aquarium store).  Place silica crystals in one discarded tight leg, charcoal in the other, and insert them both in a last discarded tight leg (making sure the final product isn't too fat to fit right in the skate. Use them faithfully to absorb moisture and odour in the skates; and, because you can re-charge the silica gel crystals easily when they absorb their maximum in moisture, you save a great deal of money over time, as well as preserving the inner layer of leather in the skate, deodorizing and drying the skate bag by having them in there, and also avoiding having the extra weight that the accumulated sweat and dampness adds to your boots.

My husband has a boot dryer that is meant for his hunting stuff...and we regularly put dd's boots on them (like on Sunday when she isn't skating) for a good drying.   It has helped keep the stink factor down!

Offline retired

• Gamified Figure Skater!
  • Total GOE: 71
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2011, 01:12:55 PM »

Guess what happens when screws get loose?  They don't fall out, they break off, and shear all of them off at once on something simple as a stop.  I went from clank to speed skating clap skates as I was lifting right up off my heel plate.

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2011, 03:51:48 PM »
My husband has a boot dryer that is meant for his hunting stuff...and we regularly put dd's boots on them (like on Sunday when she isn't skating) for a good drying.   It has helped keep the stink factor down!

Does it heat up? Our boot guy suggested that the "hot air" boot dryers were not a good thing for skates; a) if they are heat moulded, they could get a bit softened up and b) the hot air could crack the leather lining ...

Offline Skate@Delaware

• Chock Full of Lilty Goodness
  • Total GOE: 61
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2011, 02:11:14 PM »
Guess what happens when screws get loose?  They don't fall out, they break off, and shear all of them off at once on something simple as a stop.  I went from clank to speed skating clap skates as I was lifting right up off my heel plate.
Once i knew that my blades were in the right spot, I backed them out 1/2-way and put a dab of gorilla glue on the screw...then screwed them back in. That was about 3 years ago and they have held tight since then. You can't do this if you aren't 1,000% sure that stuff holds tight! (I used it to repair a bracket in my dishwasher a few years back and it's held tight since then).

I also take out my skate insoles and give them a good scrubbing (I skate barefoot). I also run a washcloth inside my boots. Sometimes it's enough to knock an elephant over  ;D

good tip about the screws on the Zuca, keep forgetting about that thing!
Avoiding the Silver Moves Mohawk click-of-death!!!

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2011, 03:16:06 PM »
Just a reminder: don't leave your skates in the trunk of the car during the hot summer months.
It heats them up too much and can cause them to heat-mold and/or break down prematurely.

If you absolutely have to do this, use an insulated cooler to protect them from the sun and heat. 
Toss in a "blue ice" pack in the morning to help keep them cool during the day.
(I had to deal with this when we were moving.  This worked okay, but I had to put them on ice every day.)
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline davincisop

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • 2017 Goal: Pass Bronze Dances
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2011, 03:46:31 PM »
Just a reminder: don't leave your skates in the trunk of the car during the hot summer months.
It heats them up too much and can cause them to heat-mold and/or break down prematurely.

If you absolutely have to do this, use an insulated cooler to protect them from the sun and heat. 
(I had to deal with this when we were moving.  This worked okay, but I had to put them on ice every day.)

Or in my case, cause rust on the blades. I dry them obsessively and put my soakers on, but if they're left in the car, HELLO RUST!

Offline AgnesNitt

• Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2011, 07:41:57 PM »
I want new boots, so I'm trying to kill my old ones. I leave them in the car summer and winter (I do dry the blades). I tromp around without blade protectors, and I leave them in the bag.

Do they die? No. They're happy little boots. When I skated Weds my friends said "Those look like new."

They're 5 years old.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2011, 10:01:54 PM »

Oh oh oh thank you for this wonderful reminder! I just received an insulated cooler that may work perfectly for this!

Gel pads will go in there too, I doubt they will melt but they felt fragile when left in extreme heat last year.

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
  • Total GOE: 49
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2011, 03:04:42 AM »

Unless you're wanting to heat mold the skates because they're slightly uncomfortable and it's a lot of hassle to get to a pro shop. I've done it on the odd occasion and it's really nice to get the boots remolded to your feet.

I'm actually more concerned about leaving them in the trunk on a really cold day. Freezing cold can't do the leather much good.

(Or basically boots like to be maintained at room temperature and shouldn't be left in extreme heat or cold for any extended period).

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 59
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2011, 02:45:30 PM »
Since it's the first of the month, I have work to do tonight!!! 

Offline kiwiskater

• Always a Flip, Never a Back Flip
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2011, 07:55:14 PM »
I sure have a list of things I want to tick off!

Anyone know how to fix skate guards? I have a 2 piece set that somehow continually get munched at the pick end and I see wear marks in the same spot on my blades now, so I was just going to get out a craft knife & chop the munched bits off - but if anyone has some suggestions..?

I think I must have really lucked out & got a bad pair of boots - not even a year old & already my list grows of things needed:

I was thinking about new laces, the old ones are really annoyingly too short, I struggle to get the last hook done up and now one of the plastic tips is cracking so I figure it might be time to change them...but replacement laces hmm that's going to be difficult to get

Also I guess since I'm not going to get any help out of the shop I need to find my own screws to replace the one that is rusting....or I fear we'll be sitting at a stalemate when one day the screw fails....

Don't mention sharpening..I'm clueless - how do I know when they are needing a sharpen? I would like to sharpen some of the nasty nicks out that I got during the rink upgrade but since they keep sharpening the rust from the hollow off I want to avoid sharpening unless they really need it...

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2011, 08:50:30 PM »
On my old blades, I needed a sharpening about every 8 weeks.  If your edges start to slip, that's a sign.

My new blades appear to be able to last twice that long- but they have a much harder steel.

Offline kiwiskater

« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2011, 09:36:03 PM »
I only skate usually 1xweek and I'm only at the level of learning 3 turns/mohawks so I'm not sure about how you tell your edges slip?

Thanks!

Offline CaraSkates

• Doing the Fiesta Tangle!
  • Total GOE: 367
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2011, 10:05:06 PM »
My sharpener recommends 20-30 hours of skating. If you skate 10 hours a month, every 2-3 months.

I usually go about once a month - but lately it's been more like every three weeks because I'm liking them super sharp for summer ice and junior moves. I just took them up last Friday (after about 15 hours on them but I'm doing all moves right now so my sharpenings aren't lasting like they would if I was jumping and spinning. I like them SHARP!) and I'm planning on going back either this Friday or next Monday to resharpen in prep for a test session. I will have skated about 15-20 hours on them just in this week.

Thanks for the reminder! Going to toss my hard guards in the dishwasher tonight!

Offline kiwiskater

« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2011, 10:18:53 PM »
My sharpener recommends 20-30 hours of skating. If you skate 10 hours a month, every 2-3 months.

Thanks! Since I'm not currently practising (only have just enough $ to skate) I only skate 10 hours in an entire term (1hr/week)..so I guess I'll add that to the list of holiday maintenance activities!

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2011, 01:44:57 PM »
Better late than never - have my hairdryer, Sno-seal and rags ready to waterproof all four pairs of skates.  Then I can install the permanent screws in my blades and stop the madness of my right foot.  (Blade moves on me when I jump.)

Also cleaning out skate bags and washing socks, rags and soakers.  I cleaned the boots and was surprised at how many cuts and scrapes they have.  How do they wear down the outside edge of the sole?  Inside, I understand: lunges.  Gotta be the splits they've been doing on the ice.

Trying to get the stench out of youngest DD's skates.  Phew! 
I replaced the insoles and used a sneaker spray.  Hope it helps a bit.

Had their skates sharpened a week ago, but mine need to be done.  Wanted to get the screws in first so the sharpener didn't notice that I've been neglectful.  (The blade's been moving back and forth ... I think one of the slotted screws is already stripped.)
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline Sk8Dreams

• CER-B
  • Quintuple Salflutzchow
  • Total GOE: 70
  • On Edge
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2011, 07:57:20 PM »
Trying to get the stench out of youngest DD's skates.  Phew! 
I replaced the insoles and used a sneaker spray.  Hope it helps a bit.

If that doesn't do it, put a good quantity of baking soda in some old socks and stuff them in the boots overnight.
My glass is half full :)

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2011, 05:39:58 PM »
If that doesn't do it, put a good quantity of baking soda in some old socks and stuff them in the boots overnight.

Our handy-dandy homemade "inside moisture absorbing" inserts (old baseball socks filled with silica sand) - got an upgrade - we tied a knot at the top of the silica sand, and then put an activiated charcoal filter from an aquarium store in, then tied another knot.

The inside of the most disgusting, stinky, dank and revolting pair of skates you can imagine are now dry and odor-free. No more complaints from coworkers about my storing my kid's skates under my desk during the day. Also takes the odor out of the skate bag ... :)