You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Skate tongue? Leather options? Let's discuss boots while I ponder order options  (Read 13449 times)

Offline AlbaNY

• Chock Full of Lilty Goodness
  • Total GOE: 129
Not a bad idea, Tstop, but I should be back again in the summer and thought it made sense to just bring them at that time since my tech is a long drive away too.  There is always so much to fit into a visit, and they feel good with the Pro-Filer. 

Hmmm. 

Offline Kaitsu

• Gamified Figure Skater!
  • Total GOE: 44
Albany,
Send your current skates to me and I sharpen them meanwhile you are travelling. Shipping costs something, but my labor not.

Offline AlbaNY

Kaitsu, I am certainly not sending them without paying a fair amount.  PM me, and let’s see how far apart we are? 

Offline AlbaNY

I’ve decided to leave my current skates behind when I go to NY.  I also saw that my home club there is having their yearly competition mid-visit.  I’m thinking to dust off my old program and sign up even though I hardly skate anymore and will be in new, very stiff boots. 

Wish me luck!
I need it btw.  All of 2024 has been a disaster of illness, accidents, and deaths.  I currently am typing with a puffy awful black eye and other minor wounds from a stupid biking accident yesterday.  I’m afraid to leave the house at this point, pretty much (or to get near the stairs or shower.)   88)

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
Get well, Alba!

Offline AlbaNY

Get well, Alba!

Thank you Query.  I missed this comment until now, sorry.  I’m doing a lot better but not great still. 

I’m really excited about the new skates. 
I also did sign up for my club’s competition.  My NY coach doesn’t think I’ll be against anyone though, so it’s more of a showcase.  I should add time and elements to my old program since I’m doing silver this time (for the Bucharest Open I kept my bronze program and music since I had even less chance to make changes for silver even though Coach Awesome had some suggestions and critiques… not much can be done a day or two beforehand.   :-\

I have very little time on the ice in the few weeks before it for practicing or learning the changes.  My German coach is enthusiastic about it all.  She says she has ideas.   :)

Now I’m mostly just nervous about using new boots to compete!  I’m considering bringing the old skates just in case, but we have a lot to pack and bring back making that backup a bit crazy.  I’m not even likely to take my competition dress since it is rather heavy… a cheap black leotard and wrap dance skirt will work???  I’ll see…

Offline Query

• mgrunes.com
My NY coach doesn’t think I’ll be against anyone though

I hope you take first place! :)

Offline AlbaNY

I hope you take first place! :)

Haha, If I don’t that would be a bit sad if I’m the only one in the category.   ;D ;D ;D
I would love to have some others along with me, and my biggest goal is to look prettier (movements) than last season with my silly airplane arms.   ;D

I had to email the club and ask for the requirements, because I couldn’t for the life of me find them to make sure I have things correct for silver there.  Google gets me information, but I can’t be sure it is correct for that particular event.  It’s so confusing!

I’m excited right now, because my husband just agreed that I can sign up for Oberstdorf this year!  I’m so much more motivated now!  It’s a long drive but straight down one autobahn from us, very simple, and he is interested to sight see.   :) :) :)

I’m in the city for two more days before the boot appointment than I realised, so I have decided to bring my current pair for sure so I can skate a bit at either Wollman, Manhattan West, or World Ice.  Depending on plans with friends and family perhaps all three, haha.  Then freestyle at City Ice Pavillion to see how the new boots and blades feel. 
I’ve never been to Wollman but might meet up with a skating buddy who loves the atmosphere.  It’s more of a trek for me though.  World Ice is walking distance, and Manhattan West is right outside the building that some good friends live in, so those are most likely.  I can’t wait!

Offline AlbaNY

My mother talked to Sophie at Harlick for me yesterday, because I can’t call from here, and my boots are supposed to make it to NY in time.  I’m really excited! 

Hopefully I can break them in enough to wear at the competition, but I’m not sure.  That’s a new experience to me to have brand new boots, and I was told by the fitter to expect a month… back when I was skating many more hours a week than I do now.   :-\  Perhaps I’ll just put them on for photos.   ;D
Coach Cheerful says she’ll help me with the break in during lessons while I’m there.  All I know is to wear them with guards at home, and it seemed like briefly doing some stick & puck was amazing for knee bend.  So, I’ll see if I can do that.

The new dream are skates modelled off of an Edwardian pair of that go farther up the calf and button for the upper half.  Saving up for those, but I guess it’ll be a few years…

Offline Query

• mgrunes.com
I get confused easily. I thought it took a year for Harlick customs to be made? Or is this not the custom pair?

Offline AlbaNY

I get confused easily. I thought it took a year for Harlick customs to be made? Or is this not the custom pair?

Oh… it is still the same custom pair I ordered at the beginning of October 2022.   
I’d have posted photos here already.   ;)  Soon now though!

Offline AlbaNY

I have an update! 
Yesterday Harlick did a live video, and I saw my boots!

Online tstop4me

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 196
  • Conserve Angular Momentum
For your sake, I hope the video was not a deep fake!  Hard to imagine Harlick is still in business; not sure how many skaters can tolerate nearly a 1-1/2 yr delivery time.  Here's hoping they fit out of the box.

Offline Query

• mgrunes.com
For your sake, I hope the video was not a deep fake!  Hard to imagine Harlick is still in business; not sure how many skaters can tolerate nearly a 1-1/2 yr delivery time.  Here's hoping they fit out of the box.

Just imagine boots ordered for a growing child.  ::>)

Offline AlbaNY

Today I had the kind of skate that made me question continuing, but when I arrived home a saw a notification and cheered up significantly:  Video of them complete! 

I love how they look, hope they feel good, and don’t break me trying to break them in.   ;D

Offline AlbaNY

Okay... I'm swamped with travelling, paperwork and appointments, and more.  Now the report on getting my skates.  :)

I've been pretty comfortable in my (aggressively stretched) old pair, but these felt far more plush and good on my feet than I ever imagined.  These are more like sneakers.  They feel nothing like my old boots.  Heat moulding made this even better.  There were no pressure spots, not even on the ankle bones, and the top edges didn't cut in.

Those narrow Harlick laces killed my fingers and were hard to pull tight and keep tight.  For the first fifteen minutes I had arch cramps until I was able to tighten the laces enough. 
When I stepped on the ice I felt a little strange, and it was clear there was a slight adjustment in blade position compared to before to get used to.  I couldn't spin for a while.  (I was only on the ice half an hour, and I wish I had more time, because I was doing some sit and camel spins by the end.) 
They don't feel too stiff (the triple duo-bond) although I acknowledge they probably hinder bend and pointing toes.  I actually tried undoing a hook at some point in the session, as some people say to do when breaking in boots, but right away I went back to fully laced. 

Unfortunately I had computer and internet issues all evening, so photos must wait.   :-\

Offline Query

• mgrunes.com
That's great about the boots!

Perhaps any figure skate laces of the right size might work. Unless Harlicks require thin laces. (Hockey laces are too wide for my boots.)

Also, do any of the pro shops near you, or other shoe or boot stores, sell "lace pullers". Basically just a hook. (So other hook tools might do.) Makes it very easy to pull laces tight. I used them for a while, before I discovered that round nylon utility cord of the right width is very easy on the fingers, and lasts almost forever. Though I recently replaced mine, because when nylon cord stretches after a few years or so, it becomes stiffer and harder to handle. A bit of a nuisance, because I had to melt the ends so I could push them through the holes - this time I used an electric burner, because I couldn't be bothered to buy matches.

Online tstop4me

Those narrow Harlick laces killed my fingers and were hard to pull tight and keep tight.  For the first fifteen minutes I had arch cramps until I was able to tighten the laces enough. 

Several years ago, I ran field trials for Derby Laces (I'm not affiliated with them, and I receive no compensation from them).  Several skaters wore Harlicks and were always griping about the Harlick laces:  cut their fingers and came untied easily.  Derby has laces in a variety of widths.  Their "EDGE" laces fit Harlick boots well, don't cut fingers, stay tied, and are durable:  https://derbylaces.com/product-category/derby-laces/waxed-edge-laces-4-5mm/.  The field testers were really happy with them.  The EDGE laces are wider than the Harlick laces, but not so wide that they are difficult to pass through the eyelets (Harlick eyelets have a smaller diameter than most other brands).

Offline AlbaNY

That's great about the boots!

Perhaps any figure skate laces of the right size might work. Unless Harlicks require thin laces. (Hockey laces are too wide for my boots.)

Also, do any of the pro shops near you, or other shoe or boot stores, sell "lace pullers". Basically just a hook. (So other hook tools might do.) Makes it very easy to pull laces tight. I used them for a while, before I discovered that round nylon utility cord of the right width is very easy on the fingers, and lasts almost forever. Though I recently replaced mine, because when nylon cord stretches after a few years or so, it becomes stiffer and harder to handle. A bit of a nuisance, because I had to melt the ends so I could push them through the holes - this time I used an electric burner, because I couldn't be bothered to buy matches.

I just didn’t have time to put in new laces unless I wanted to miss the entire session.  Also, I wanted to dye them.  I just put them in and feel much better.  I like Jerry’s and have more on the way.
I do have a lace puller around somewhere, but I never used it and have no idea where I hid it. 

The town rink isn’t frozen enough yet today to try them again, but in the house right now they feel very nice.  Off ice I have no trouble bending my knees and ankles as much as I’m supposed to even for a proper sit spin, but we’ll see about on ice. 

I have not had any trouble with various laces in Harlick eyelets.

Tstop, I’ve heard good things about Derby.  I’ve already ordered more Jerry’s, but I have some Derby’s on hand too.  I just don’t want the rainbow colours of them for this pair and was glad to find I had one more set that I could colour match.   My rainbows can go on the old white skates more nicely when I’m ready to switch to quirky.  :)

Online tstop4me

Tstop, I’ve heard good things about Derby.  I’ve already ordered more Jerry’s, but I have some Derby’s on hand too.  I just don’t want the rainbow colours of them for this pair and was glad to find I had one more set that I could colour match.   My rainbows can go on the old white skates more nicely when I’m ready to switch to quirky.  :)

OK  If you have the rainbow, then you likely have the wider "CORE" laces.  Probably OK on old Harlicks, because the eyelets have likely been enlarged through wear.  But maybe a bit snug on a new pair (but also a matter of personal preference; the field testers for Harlicks I worked with preferred the EDGE to the CORE).  Glad your new skates are working out, especially after such a long wait.

Offline Query

• mgrunes.com
Dying your laces sounds like a lot of work! :)

I've noticed a lot of skaters recently adding sparkles to their clothing and boots. And they spend a lot of work doing it, gluing one sparkle stone at a time. (There must be easier ways to do that! Like some way to add a sheet full of evenly spaced sparkles at once...)

Would rainbow colors be so bad?  ::>)

Anyway, glad you are happier now. I guess that if you have brand new boots, you don't want to spoil the appearance with laces of the "wrong" color.

If you use boot covers, you can avoid making marks on your new boots. I used to do that. But after 20 some years with my current broken down boots, it stopped seeming worth it.

Offline AlbaNY

Dying the laces isn't much of a bother actually.  I glued crystals on Daughter's heels for her last pair, and that took a couple hours? 

Rainbow is nice, and that's why I bought them, but not for this pair right now especially with competing ahead.  It doesn't go well with my outfit.  Too bad I nearly sliced a lace today when it untied and went under a newly sharpened blade.  More arrive later in the week, but I need to get through the weekend!

Thicker laces don't seem to be a problem.  The holes look the same as on Klingbiels if nothing else to compare to?

Today Too Sharp kindly finished the permanent mount of the blades for me.  I felt so good in the new skates that I can barely imagine using the old pair.   :o  I brought both today expecting to switch to the old before my (cancelled) lesson.  Then I found myself steady and happy from the very start.  Spins have suffered, but they are coming back faster than I expected, and the one month break in seems more like a one hour.  Awesome!

I still need to write more and post photos, but not tonight.  We have a nasty winter storm beginning that may ruin my plans for a lesson tomorrow morning or evening or even any practice.  If that is the case I'll be so unprepared for the competition on Sunday that I could cry.  Yikes.

Offline AlbaNY

The new boots are fantastic!   :love:
I skated a couple hours and decided to use them for the competition already.  I actually never put my old skates on again since trying out the new ones.  I thought they were comfortable these days, but with the new pair it’s hard to imagine using them anymore even on ponds or in slush. 

Once I had my preferred laces in they were great.  Coach Cheerful said I skated better in the new pair, and I thought so too.  I felt like I was more in contact with the ice (especially in my heels for some reason) and had better control once I was used to the slight difference in feel of the blade placement.  Spins suffered for sure but began to come back alright with time. 

Despite the 3 layer super stiff construction I could flex happily quite quickly, and I am sooooo glad I didn’t go for a reduced level.  The woman that got gold in our adult silver category was really surprised I was competing in such new boots.   8)

I probably should have just had the backstays in the same grey, but I am undecided about that.  I adore the grey suede so much.  It seems to mostly read as pale tan in photos or videos.  That’s kind of perfect.
The tech at the shop was surprised by the half lined tongues saying he hadn’t seen that from them before.  I found it odd also, because I thought my inline pair only had it done that way due to it being a retrofit.  I’d guess that it is something done to allow for replacing foam in the long term viewing it as a seamstress.  If the lining leather isn’t stitched down and full length then the tongue padding can be replaced without taking the whole piece out, and that makes sense.

Despite only about 3 hours in them the chem glaze wore off in a spot from lunges on the left sole.  Water clearly leaked in where Too Sharp added more screws also, but not where the other tech placed screws.  I melted beeswax there and hope it’s okay now.  The glaze has a bit of hairline cracks and seems thinner, like I saw on some other pairs, but my original pair had a lovely robust glaze.  I hope it holds up better than I fear. 

I’m already dreaming of ideas for another pair… whenever that might be.  I’d like them tall like old school boots and in white pebble perhaps?   ;D  There’s plenty of time, hah!  I think some design with crystals where Harlick does the custom cutouts might be nice.  The crystals are my favourite part aside from the suede colour.