You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Trophee' Eric Bompard has been cancelled  (Read 2704 times)

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
Trophee' Eric Bompard has been cancelled
« on: November 14, 2015, 09:02:19 AM »
I found it posted on ISU main page.Given the terrible events in Paris, I don't see any other decision can be made.  Apparently the short programs are over, since I found scores for that.

Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline skategeek

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 260
  • or is that geekyskater?
Re: Trophee' Eric Bompard has been cancelled
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2015, 09:20:41 AM »
According to NBC Sports, they're going to propose using the rankings for the short program alone for the Grand Prix rankings.  http://olympics.nbcsports.com/2015/11/14/trophee-bompard-canceled-figure-skating-france/

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2015, 02:41:35 PM »
I had hoped they would cancel it - originally, they had planned to continue the competition because of the 5-hr distance from Paris. (The event is in Bordeaux, France.)  To me, if the country is under a state of emergency and the borders are closed, the competition's over.  You can't expect people to attend given the fact that the attacks took place at public venues.

Maybe something got lost in translation, but saying the organizations were "devastated" to cancel the events was overdramatic, imo.  Perhaps they meant to say they were devastated that the killings occurred and it just didn't come across correctly in English.
-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2015, 06:49:11 PM »
The ISU / French Fed wanted the competition to continue, and skaters were allegedly on the ice for practice until French authorities determined that event should be canceled.

Offline amy1984

• Wearing Blade Guards on the Ice
  • Total GOE: 14
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2015, 10:39:33 PM »
The ISU / French Fed wanted the competition to continue, and skaters were allegedly on the ice for practice until French authorities determined that event should be canceled.

I'm glad they cancelled.  Not just because it's the respectful thing to do, but I think their would be genuine safety concerns.