You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Figure Skating from a Man's Perspective  (Read 35580 times)

Offline supra

• Traveling in a Synchro Circle
  • Total GOE: 5
Figure Skating from a Man's Perspective
« on: October 07, 2012, 12:53:13 AM »
*Is a male figure skater*

I'm 21, I started skating at 20. Which is an odd age to get into skating, as about 20 years old is the age most people quit skating, and then it seems like if they skate again, they pick it back up again in their 30s or older as an adult skater. Life gets in the way obviously, and if they've accomplished a ton skating, and plateau at that age, why continue? So I'm too old to be a teenage skater, and too young to be a real adult skater, either.

That said, not that I've actually counted out everything exactly, but here's the ratio of skaters at my rink. In my age and below (high school/early college age) there is exactly one guy my age who skates often at my rink, and is an LTS instructor too I think. This only what I can gather from the timeslots before and after noon to 1:20PM public session. Occasionally you'll get some other guys from other rinks, or maybe someone from another timeslot, but at my rink, as far as "regulars" I see in those timeslots, there is that one guy, per about 6-10 "regular" girls. As far as little kids, like elementary age, I see some more, but it's still a very skewed ratio.

Once you get to adult age, the ratios get a bit more even. There's two or three figure skating guys in my public session that are there almost daily like me. One that has spotty attendance to public, but does seem to skate as his life allows. Both of those old guys are old, at least their 60s. The spotty attendance guy is like 40. Generally on the ice there will about 2-3 women adult skaters, too. Coaches is where it gets really interesting. The most qualified (as far as competition wins in their career) coaches at my rink are guys. There's probably at the very least an equal 50/50 split with male to female coaches, but I'd say on the whole, there's more highly skilled male coaches.

As far as speed skaters.... two old guys, 50+. That's it. There was one female speed skater who was in her late 30s or early 40s, who oddly was a professional cyclist and was speed skating to give herself something to do during the winter, but she was a very strong (could deadlift like 300lbs) and athletic lady. She managed to get quite fast in a very short amount of time just due to sheer athleticism, and could easily after only about a month of skating keep up with the 50 year old men who skate 3+ days a week. So because of that, her coach told her to stop because she's very competitive and could potentially hurt herself and mess up her cycling progress. 'Tis a shame.

-----------

Anyway, I'm gonna ramble on here a bit, about my experience and what I see, it's probably gonna be long, boring, and maybe slightly inflammatory, so just skip reading if you want.

One elephant in the room... There's the whole perception that males who figure skate are homosexual, and then if you actually talk to some male figure skaters or see them interviewed, you don't see many guys looking like Chuck Norris or something. Some, or even most, male figure skaters are quite effeminate, and many people would say they're gay if they had to guess off the top of their head. Of course, too, there are homosexual figure skaters. I've had the accusation levied against me, too, for my mannerisms when I am in fact not homosexual. So for that reason alone, many guys steer clear of figure skating, even if they did have an inclination towards doing it, just because of that (rather recent) perception. This thankfully doesn't seem to be the case worldwide, I've heard in former Soviet countries, male figure skaters were viewed as manly. But....yeah...

For most guys, there's simply much more in the way of opportunity in the way of hockey. Just money and general success alone, it's in a lot of ways a better bet than figure skating. The only thing figure skating gives you, if you're deadset on just succeeding at a sport, is being able to compete at the national/world level. But even at the national and world level in figure skating, there's not much prize money, and the sport pretty much will only COST you money due to coaches/etc. There's a chance if you're really good and committed, you could be national/world level, but most people never make it that far. The only advantage I can see as a guy in figure skating is probability is on your side. Due to seemingly the 1 guy per 10 girls figure skating, you have less guys to compete against. Basically the only "end game" of figure skating is being able to coach other people at $50-80 an hour, and even then, the demand may not be there, and it likely will not be a fulltime career option for you. This isn't even getting into the social problems of figure skating and the social advantage hockey will give a guy (which I'll get into below.)

Hockey on the other hand, start as a kid. Then you can play in high school. But, even more important than that, you can get a college scholarship to get your college education for free, just for playing hockey. If you're good in college, you make the NHL and can make millions a year. There's probably only handful of male figure skaters who make what hockey players make a year. If you don't make the NHL, you can still play semi-pro at 30K year or so, and have a blast (this would work if you're not married.) Then you can still get drafted from semi-pro to the NHL. That's a lot of monetary advantage right there. But even if you never reach a high level in the sport, you get a sense of camaraderie, because it's a team sport. After hockey games, people all drink beer in the parking lot/locker room, go to post-game parties and stuff like that. It gives you a social group. Figure skating, as a guy, you can't just show up to a freestyle session one day, be on the "team" regardless of skill level, and then go party with everyone after. It's just a completely different social atmosphere, and honestly one with a good deal of exclusiveness and elitism, intentionally malevolent or not. It's one more comfy to me than the fratbro kinda atmosphere of hockey, but basically only "nerdy" guys are currently attracted to figure skating for this reason, from what I can see.

Oddly enough, though, nobody's made fun of me much for it, at least to my face. Some high schoolers got mad at me/jealous/thought I was gay, and dumped some iced tea on my car after one public session where I was the only one not apart of their group and skating alone. I talk to hockey players in public session quite often, am acquaintances with a few, a small percentage even take my skating advice I give them. Usually the conversation is like "So you get to lift chicks in the air and sh*t? That's pretty cool!" and I'm like "No, I'm not good enough to do that yet." And then they're like "Oh..." I don't know how well I'm appreciated or liked among the other figure skaters at my rink, the ones my age (I get along better with the older adults) never really go out of their way to talk to me, or I to them. That might change once I get going to freestyle sessions where I'll be on the ice with them often, but who knows. That could be my fault, too, as I have Aspergers and have been told I'm very socially awkward, but yeah...

So those are my perceptions and experiences, sorry if I've offended anyone or anything like that.

Mod note: thread split

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
Re: Figure Skating from a Man's Perspective
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2012, 06:56:01 PM »
I just want to say that most rink skating directors ignore the number of male skaters in figure skating boots. It's like they're the invisible skater. At my home rink I was talking to one of the coaches and she said "What male adult skaters?"

I reeled off 5 names. And those are just the ones on weekends!
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline nicklaszlo

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 221
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2012, 11:17:37 PM »
I'm male and also started at age 20.

Since I skate with my wife, everybody knows my orientation.  A guy in rental skates did try to hit on me once though.

Participating in sports for the purpose of obtaining money or scholarships is pretty much always a bad idea.

"only "nerdy" guys are currently attracted to figure skating" - I am a scientist, so no argument there.

There are lifts which actually are not difficult.

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2012, 11:41:49 PM »
At my home rink I was talking to one of the coaches and she said "What male adult skaters?"

Ha, for public skating I am puzzled that sometimes adults outnumber kids in the middle ice, and guys outnumber ladies several times too!

Proportionally maybe male adult skaters are less likely to get figure skates, and for those who do, they are not as likely to get lessons as the ladies. Pure opinion based on observations at my rink.

Participating in sports for the purpose of obtaining money or scholarships is pretty much always a bad idea.

Although when it comes to choosing a serious sport, scholarship opportunity is a big factor, especially for an athletic boy.

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 59
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2012, 12:18:24 AM »
My son took lessons at 16 or 17.  He enjoyed it but was frustrated when the coach tried to teach him the same way she would teach a child.  I was surprised how quickly he took to it.  I shouldn't have been - he excelled at fencing and that requires balance and lots of physical training.  No one thought he was gay but even if they did he wouldn't have cared.  Then school took up too much time.  he looks great on the ice with his girlfriend or sister though!

Offline chowskates

• Total GOE: 33
    • ChowSkates
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2012, 12:23:22 AM »
I also see proportionally more male adult skaters compared to young male skaters. One boy from my group lesson shows particular potential, I was a bit taken aback when his mom asked me yesterday whether he would be good for *speed skating*. Reason being, he didn't want to be seen in a "girly" sport.

Offline supra

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2012, 02:03:50 PM »
I also see proportionally more male adult skaters compared to young male skaters. One boy from my group lesson shows particular potential, I was a bit taken aback when his mom asked me yesterday whether he would be good for *speed skating*. Reason being, he didn't want to be seen in a "girly" sport.

Well aside from other people's opinions, speed skating is quite fun. I've seriously considered crossing over myself, having tried speed skating out. However, I like the artistic/emotional outlet figure skating gives me. Speed skating is great fun, and I recommend anyone with the opportunity try it out. It helped me even with figure skating, as I realized I could do a lot better running a more shallow hollow (speed skates are flatground.) So I wouldn't knock anyone that switches (in fact, one of the coaches at this rink, his wife switched to speed skating from figure) but I would say it's bad if he switches from peer pressure.

In the good news, I've apparently influenced a little boy to figure skate. He's like 5 and his grandfather said he thought I was really cool and a good skater (I'm not that good a skater, can only do 3 turns and waltz jumps...) So his grandfather said they were going shopping for figure skates soon, and he was signing him up for group lessons at a college. So I'm happy about that, it feels good to be a good influence. Going off that, maybe one of the reasons males don't get into figure skating is there aren't as many male role models. You can be like "Hey, Kristina Yamaguchi..." and people will know who she is, but only a few male skaters make it to household name status.

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2012, 02:46:06 PM »
I was really surprised this summer when I realized at LTS we had 4 coaches on the ice, and all were male.  (During the non-summer we usually also have 1 or 2 female coaches)

We have a few male figure skaters at our rink, but not nearly as many as male LTSers (many classes are even among boys and girls, and even men/women).  The LTS program is not the same as the hockey LTS, so I don't know where we lose them, except that even among girls the number of LTSers who become figure skaters is very small.

Offline AgnesNitt

• The ice doesn't care
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2012, 02:50:49 PM »
I was really surprised this summer when I realized at LTS we had 4 coaches on the ice, and all were male.  (During the non-summer we usually also have 1 or 2 female coaches)

Every rink needs at least one male coach. Who else is going to explain to the younger male skaters how to wear a dance belt for shows and tests?
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline chowskates

• ChowSkates
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2012, 11:58:35 PM »
Well aside from other people's opinions, speed skating is quite fun. I've seriously considered crossing over myself, having tried speed skating out.

Right, I have nothing against speed skating, just that I don't know much about it myself and was totally unprepared to answer a question on whether a boy would be good for it. :-)

Offline supra

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2012, 12:01:08 AM »
Right, I have nothing against speed skating, just that I don't know much about it myself and was totally unprepared to answer a question on whether a boy would be good for it. :-)

Does he have a 6 minute mile and is he able to squat double bodyweight?

Offline chowskates

• ChowSkates
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2012, 12:31:16 AM »
Does he have a 6 minute mile and is he able to squat double bodyweight?

LOL this boy is just into his 3rd set of beginner lessons... (ie around the level of Basic 3) I don't test for 6-minute miles at this stage! ;-)

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2012, 12:49:51 AM »
I don't test for 6-minute miles at this stage! ;-)

On ice?  ;D

Offline supra

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2012, 03:30:12 AM »
LOL this boy is just into his 3rd set of beginner lessons... (ie around the level of Basic 3) I don't test for 6-minute miles at this stage! ;-)

Heh, just tell him that to scare him. In all seriousness, though, speed skating does require a lot out of you, especially out of the elite/competitive level. I've heard Apollo Ohno can leg press 1000lbs on one leg, and single leg squat like 500lbs or something (don't know to what depth, and I'm assuming it means leg behind him, not shoot the duck.)
Neat exercises they're doing in that, too. But speed skating is a bit different than figure in that there's no subjectivity or artistry involved, you either win or lose. Like people remember figure skating performances regardless of if participants "win" or not, but speed skating you either win or lose, that's all.

Or just tell him "Sure, we can try speed skating after you learn your edges, because speed skates you have to know your edges more because the blades are flat."

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2012, 09:55:31 PM »
Every rink needs at least one male coach. Who else is going to explain to the younger male skaters how to wear a dance belt for shows and tests?

ROFL !!! Actually, it was our very female coaches (and older sister) who sorted out that problem in explicit and directive fashion.  No dance belt though.  Tight compression shorts.

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2012, 10:15:36 PM »
So. as the parent of a male figure skater: The attraction of the sport was the speed, risk and danger factor; hockey was not enough of a challenge as it was not enough ice time, it wasn't difficult enough, and the "risk junkie" mentality craved the adrenalin rush of flying across the ice and through the air. Would have liked to be on a team ... but,then again, we sort of have a "team" with the skaters that skate together.  Speedskating .. yes, that was considered, but, while it was fast enough and aggressive enough (short track) - the aerobatic aspect of figure skating and the constant new challenges (single - double - triple etc etc etc) was preferred. Plus, when skating moved to points ... the game of playing and running points to maximize comps was an intellectual challenge, as was using principles of physics to improve spins and jumps (I stay out of those conversations).

Yes, some of the guys he skates with are gay. Some aren't. Some of the girls he skates with are gay.  It's not an issue.  Same way it's not an issue in school, in extracurriculars, etc.  Basically, doesn't matter. There have been a few daft people who have made the "assumption" that a guy skater has to be gay ... but, then again, I've had the same assumption thrown at boys who play instruments, and girls who play hockey!  You are what you are.  We've never felt the need to discuss his preferences with anyone, or worry about what people will think.  He's our kid, and whatever he does his fine by us, although, I must admit, I do wonder why his girlfriends have never been skaters  - considering the amazing number of gorgeous, athletic, and smart young women he's skated with over the years!

In terms of being noticed ... definitely he is.  I have sat in arenas and watched in amusement while hockey dads, moms, hockey players, teenage girls, teenage boys, grandmas ... crowd around to watch him skate, and comment on how neat it is.  They don't even seem to notice the even more skilled girls.  The uniqueness of seeing a guy doing what he does means that we get attention.  The matronly mom raving to her teenage daughter about how "ripped" my kid is had me spurting coffee out of my nose ... Yes, he has pulled some boys along behind him - not just onto figure skates, but, also into better skating skills on hockey skates - seeing the benefit of being able to move on the ice the way he does, he gets them to focus more on edge quality and basic skating skills in our learn to skate programs. 

There are no scholarships, really, in Canada for sports ... or minimal at best. However, I do know that he will get  a "bump" on his university applications as the shortage of male competitive skaters means that the team who gets a Senior level guy is going to place higher in the inter-university (varsity) comps.  They will also find him a nice job coaching or something to help him fund his schooling. But, frankly, none of that matters; he's still that 6 year old boy who needs to skate and jump and spin and fly through the air - he'd do it no matter what. He's got a friend in his late 20's who is exactly the same ... still working on new jumps, spins, and who goes into withdrawal when he doesn't get his skating "fix".

We do have some guy coaches.  They're great.  But, I would say that having strong coaches of both sex who know how to teach boys to skate, jump and spin have been more important.

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2012, 10:21:50 PM »
Who else is going to explain to the younger male skaters how to wear a dance belt for shows and tests?

That made me snort.. and I think compression shorts would work fine for most younger boys - grownups of course could make their own under garment choices :)

Our rink has two regular male coaches, and one part time, and one intern, but I haven't seen him since May.

There are probably more adult male figure skaters than average at my rink.. I can think of about 8 off the top of my head that will show up for adult skate or daytime publics, which means I'm probably forgetting a couple I only see semi-regularly, plus there are several more in the earlier levels of LTS who also only skate on the weekends, but all of those seem to be there because their kids are also in LTS (nothing wrong with that at all, it just seems that most don't continue to skate after taking a class or two - I wish more would get the AOSS bug).

I sort of met one male figure skater today who I haven't seen at our rink before.. I feel bad because I didn't introduce myself (most of the adult skaters at my rink try to make an effort to make anyone new feel welcome), but I was in my own world working on things... and I'm shy :)

Offline iomoon

• Needs a Helmet
  • Total GOE: 6
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2012, 11:10:08 PM »
I've seen male skaters hit on some women skaters. Ha ha ha. So yes, not all of them are gay.

I also see the 50/50 ratio in the coaching. They teach both figure skating and hockey. Of course, there's nothing "girly" about wearing a blue, loose-fitting instructor jacket. X)

My favorite hecklers are the ones who obviously haven't exercised since high school. They're calling male figure skating athletes girly? Nice. 88)

Offline AgnesNitt

• The ice doesn't care
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2012, 12:08:40 AM »
ROFL !!! Actually, it was our very female coaches (and older sister) who sorted out that problem in explicit and directive fashion.  No dance belt though.  Tight compression shorts.

Compression Shorts don't always do the job. Ultimately dance belts under costumes are preferable. Especially when the male skater is older and the costume is form fitting.

Compression shorts disaster. This is a picture of a cycle racing team. It's not a look I want to see on the ice.
I don't want to be banned, so I'm warning you that it's the kind of picture that will either make you laugh hysterically or recoil in horror. For pity's sake, don't click on this and then go complaining to the moderator. There's a reason I'm just posting the link. It's an awards ceremony from a bike race.
https://lh3.ggpht.com/-0FXDrbhT3-M/TbvzdOMTszI/AAAAAAAACoE/9sWdDOcVXg0/s1600/why-bike-shorts-should-be-black.jpg

As an observer, the dance belt look is far more preferable, especially for adult males.

Offline iomoon

• Needs a Helmet
  • Total GOE: 6
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2012, 12:15:55 AM »
Compression Shorts don't always do the job. Ultimately dance belts under costumes are preferable. Especially when the male skater is older and the costume is form fitting.

Compression shorts disaster. This is a picture of a cycle racing team. It's not a look I want to see on the ice.
I don't want to be banned, so I'm warning you that it's the kind of picture that will either make you laugh hysterically or recoil in horror. For pity's sake, don't click on this and then go complaining to the moderator. There's a reason I'm just posting the link. It's an awards ceremony from a bike race.
https://lh3.ggpht.com/-0FXDrbhT3-M/TbvzdOMTszI/AAAAAAAACoE/9sWdDOcVXg0/s1600/why-bike-shorts-should-be-black.jpg

As an observer, the dance belt look is far more preferable, especially for adult males.

Oh dear. I almost choked on my popcorn. That's why every ceremony should have flowers!

Offline Rachelsk8s

• Gamified Figure Skater!
  • Total GOE: 23
  • I'm probably skating......
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2012, 10:51:22 AM »

I have to agree with you AgnesNitt ;) Definitely dance belt all the way!!

Offline nicklaszlo

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 221
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2012, 02:45:15 PM »
Agnes, male figure skaters do not wear ballet tights.  It's against the rules.

Offline Clarice

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 68
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2012, 04:22:23 PM »
Of course they don't.  But depending on how fitted the pants are, and what they're made out of, it can be just as bad.  I remember a Regionals we hosted once, with a young man on the podium in white lycra pants that definitely would have benefitted from the use of a dance belt.  I wondered what his mother thought of that photo - not exactly something you were going to display on the mantel.

Offline VAsk8r

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 18
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2012, 04:41:39 PM »
In my area, it seems skaters and skating families look up to and respect both boys and male and female adults. The adults because the skating parents see skating as something they could never do, and they're amazed another adult is out there taking those risks. And boys/men because their programs are something different to watch after watching so many females, and they're seen as courageous for taking on such a female-dominated sport and putting up with assumptions about their sexuality.

There definitely seems to be an assumption in our area that almost all male skaters are gay. To some degree, you can understand why that stereotype exists, because many of the adult male skaters I know are openly gay. Our rink is probably more public than most. We have large windows so people walking by outside stop and watch, and we also get people who come in just to watch. Because it's so public, I do worry a little bit about our male skaters. If some homophobic nutcase is watching a young male skater and assumes he's gay, I worry about what could happen when the skater walks out of the rink alone.

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2012, 06:28:09 PM »
Black pants color is popular for a reason, even for unitards.