You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Test days: scheduling, warming up, and everything else!  (Read 18211 times)

Offline TreSk8sAZ

• Blade Runner
  • Total GOE: 42
Re: Test days: scheduling, warming up, and everything else!
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2012, 01:53:55 PM »
Thank you! the test session starts at 9 and my first test at 12. All the contingency tests are in the afternoon. Guess they won't finish three hours of testing in two hours unless lots of testers dropped out. But I'll plan for an hour prior just in case, thank you again everyone.

At least an hour is a good idea. Remember, it's not just contingencies that can make a session run early. When the schedule is planned, you have to take into account time in case there is a reskate. For example, let's say a test is scheduled to take 10 minutes. The schedule may allow 12 minutes, so the skater has time to talk to their coach and do the reskate. If everyone passes or fails without reskates in front of you, that speeds things up too.

Even though there are recommended times for the tests, skaters often finish them faster than what is allotted. This plus any time not used for reskates - yes, you could have three hours of scheduled testing run short.

In every test application and competition announcement I have really ever seen, it says to arrive an hour before you are scheduled. Even if it doesn't say it, I would assume that is understood. So no, I would not expect someone to get their money back if they missed their test.

You all are incredibly lucky, though, getting ice makes in between test groups. Our tests always go MITF, FS, Dance. We never have an ice make in between any of the tests (before the first, always, but not during). And these can be three hour sessions. But really, even with FS tests, the ice doesn't get that chopped up.

Offline PinkLaces

• Flooping To The Beat
  • Total GOE: 27
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2012, 01:59:23 PM »
Honestly, I'd suggest planning to arrive an hour ahead if at all possible. Sometimes this isn't even enough. When my daughter tested her (I think) Juv moves, we arrived an hour ahead only to have the frantic test chair going "oh good, your warmup is in 5 minutes, hurry up and get your skates on" as they'd managed to get a full hour ahead of schedule. Which, I guess can happen if there are a lot of contingent tests and the lower test doesn't pass.

Yes, be at least there an hour ahead of time.  I often had my tests run ahead. Usually 45 mins to an hour at the end.  If the test chair has helpers to get skaters on the ice one after another and there are no reskates, the test session can easily run ahead  without contingent tests.  Or say the test had Juvenile Moves on the schedule, but noticed that ooops - it's a Juvenile FS.  Well, that just took a good 10+ minutes off the schedule. Well, usually in the last example, it happens soon after the schedule is put out - someone checked the wrong box or test chair saw it wrong after staring at test forms for hours.   :D

One session we were 45 mins ahead.  It was the last group.  One skater was missing for the warm up.  She showed up a half hour before her warm up time.  Her group was finishing up their tests.  I let her have her own warm-up session and then skate after clearing it with the judges.  Another test chair might not have been so nice.

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2012, 11:59:36 PM »
How many judges for a regular test session that you see? Mine is a rink sponsored (instead of club sponsored) test session and I expected a smaller field, shocked to count a total of 10 judges listed!! (6 hours, MITF / FS / dance)

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2012, 12:07:35 AM »
I would guess that in the course of a 6 hour test session we may see 10 judges coming in and out.  There are so many reasons for that: most people don't want to judge for 6 hours straight - you would freeze to death and your brain gets foggy after a while so you definitely need breaks.  People have to go to work, etc. and so may have to leave at a certain time.

Then you may be double-paneling tests - this can happen on Moves and Dance - mostly low-level but if we have a busy test session we will also double panel Intermediate and Novice Moves.  Then you need at least 6 judges. 

Judges also need to judge a certain amount of tests if they are trying to get promoted to the next level and they may be trial-judging the next level of tests - so sometimes you might see a big bunch of judges up on the panel - some of those people might be trial judges -

The other day we had a very short two-hour test session and I think we had eight judges!

Fun times!

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2012, 12:21:33 AM »
I was more anticipating 6 or 7... Did not think about trial judging though!

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2012, 06:51:25 AM »
Random stuff from years of test days:

45 minutes early if you're first test of the day; an hour if you're on later.  And, if you're having to kit yourself out (hair, dress, makeup) you need to allow for buffer time for that - it's great to arrive 45 minutes early if the test day is running 1/2 hour ahead ... but, if you need 15 minutes to change etc, you're late on the ice.

If you want to practice other "stuff" in the warmup, your coach should, as courtesy, ask the judge's permission as it can be distracting AND disturbing to other skaters- and frankly, practicing stuff in another discipline is frowned upon.  You are supposed to be practicing what you are testing.  Skaters who are warming up a dance may be thrownoff by somebody doing a spin; there's enough stress out there.

Test chairs will delay a test if they get too far ahead.  Same thing with comps.  Avoids problems later.

Yes, you have to be on the ice for warmup if you're going to test.  No, they don't have to allow you to skate later, particularly if the judge for your test is done for that day - not all judges can evaluate all disciplines. 

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2012, 08:37:36 AM »
Our test schedule doesn't show the assigned judges.  One of my skaters was supposed to have three judges for her test, but a Gold judge volunteered to do her Prelim test solo. Unfortunately, that judge wants power, power and more power on every Move, including the forward Circle 8, which was a bit wobbly, but the sheet read "didn't have enough power."  88)

Similar less-powerful skaters have passed at other sessions with the three-judge panel because the other two judges' scores offset this judge's scores. 

Skater got a retest and isn't interested in testing any more because she felt the judging is/was unfair.

I can definitely see having almost a half-dozen judges for a six-hour test session.  They must be so cold and tired.
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2012, 08:52:17 AM »
How many judges for a regular test session that you see? Mine is a rink sponsored (instead of club sponsored) test session and I expected a smaller field, shocked to count a total of 10 judges listed!! (6 hours, MITF / FS / dance)

Our club has 3 judges all day, 4 if we can afford it.. No one is local, so it is expensive to bring them in.  They do an all day test session, and then an all day competition.  We definetly schedule breaks for them.

I've never seen a list. You don't know who you get until you step on the ice.

I have seen a bundle of trial judges, but they sit seperatly and skaters do not see their sheets. They also travel on their own expense, not the clubs.

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2012, 09:28:24 AM »
I just discovered which judges are assigned for the high moves tests... their initials are noted in the schedule with smaller font type :)

my last test everyone was able to talk to the judge for a while after the session was over, as it was a very very small test. When is it generally ok to approach the judges with questions when they have a dozen more tests to judge? :)  

Offline Clarice

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 68
« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2012, 09:37:07 AM »
When is it generally ok to approach the judges with questions when they have a dozen more tests to judge?

Best to approach the Test Chair and let them speak to the judges about the possibility of arranging a meeting.

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2012, 11:38:26 AM »
Best to approach the Test Chair and let them speak to the judges about the possibility of arranging a meeting.

OK another reason to arrive early... Figure out who is the test chair and request the meeting in advance :)  Is it normally arranged thru the test chair? Say if the coach / skater only want to clarify a comment from one specific judge on the judging sheet?

That being said, can testers expect to get a copy of the judges' comments or it needs to be specifically asked for?

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2012, 12:19:52 PM »
OK another reason to arrive early... Figure out who is the test chair and request the meeting in advance :)  Is it normally arranged thru the test chair? Say if the coach / skater only want to clarify a comment from one specific judge on the judging sheet?

That being said, can testers expect to get a copy of the judges' comments or it needs to be specifically asked for?

For a USFS test, your coach will be given copies of the judges sheets.  They should be given two sets, one for you, one for their records.  That's usually how you find out if you pass- you get your sheets, and count the number of them that say pass.

Unfortunately, I've never been able to speak to a judge to ask about comments.  You're usually just left to guess what they meant.  It certainly isn't the norm to ask for a critique on test day- rather, people (in areas with judges) seem to bring them in prior to the test to get comments.

A skater really shouldn't ever approach the judges on their own.  A coach may, but if there are tons of coaches- they could overwhelm the judges, so generally, all the communication with the judges is done through the test chair.

Offline slcbelle

• Blade Runner
  • Total GOE: 224
  • Yes, I'm obsessed.
    • YouTube Videos
« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2012, 12:25:20 PM »
"Just out of curiosity" questions again for testing days! Really hope to hear behind the scenes stories esp. from test chairs :)  Not a test chair but took my first tests last week so...

How are the tests scheduled for the day in general? I vaguely remember hearing higher level skaters test earlier in the day, but if there is a contingency (e.g. taking 2 beginner MITF tests), would it still work in that order? Looking at my schedule from last week, I was the first test (FRESH ICE!) and only Adult Pre-Bronze MITF and warmed up with 5 pre-pre FS skaters and 1 pre FS skater.  I was the only Moves person in the warm up.  After those tests were complete, for my Adult Pre-Bronze FS test, I warmed up with 2 Pre FS, 2 Pre Juv FS, and 1 Juv FS.  No music was played.  After that, the tests were Intermediate FS, Intermediate Pairs, Novice FS, Intermediate MIFT, Senior FS, Junior FS, and Senior FS.  Then came all of the Dance tests.  The next day, while I don't have access to that schedule anymore, I recall seeing some Adult Bronze and Silver MITF and FS tests along with other Standard Track FS tests, I think.

Some lower level tests only require a single judge, if three judges were brought in for the higher level tests, would all three be kept for the lower level tests as well? For my Pre-Bronze tests, I had a panel of 3.

Would the tests be divided by discipline? Say finish all MITF tests then move to FS, then dance, pairs etc.?  For the most part but not followed to a T.

For smaller testing days, it's inevitable to group skaters of different abilities into the same warm up group. What is the biggest level difference you've observed? (pre-pre warming up with senior anyone?) I was Pre-Bronze FS with a Juvenile FS.

Regarding warm ups, my coach had my practice my 5 minute warm up and time it on a stopwatch.  I was very thankful she did this because (1) I had a mission and a focus when I went out there for warm up and didn't have time to feel lost, (2) I used that 5 minutes to practice my weakest elements, and (3) since I'd timed the 5 minute warm up I knew I'd maximize the opportunity to my advantage.  My nerves didn't hit me until I was done with the first element of my Moves test.  Then, I felt like my legs were made of noodles.
[/color]
Adult Silver FS, Intermediate MITF
Videos:  http://www.youtube.com/itslex71
Bronze Level Test Judge - Singles/Pairs
Non-Qual Competition Judge

Offline PinkLaces

• Flooping To The Beat
  • Total GOE: 27
« Reply #38 on: August 15, 2012, 12:36:47 PM »

You or your coach will be given a copy of your test scores with comments.  I never gave 2 copies unless a coach specifically requested it.  Some test chairs will only give papers to the coach and some will only give to the skater.

You should be checking in with the test chair or assistant test chair when you arrive.  S/he will be the one running around like crazy... ha ha but not really.

If you want to speak to the judges, you should arrange it with the test chair.  She will know when the judges will have a break to speak with you.   The judges that I worked with in my area liked to be asked in advance.   Mostly skaters that wanted to get quick clarifications on comments written on sheets if there was a retry.  If you want to go in depth about your test, you should probably get a critique on a different day (preferably before the test).

Offline slcbelle

• Blade Runner
  • Total GOE: 224
  • Yes, I'm obsessed.
    • YouTube Videos
« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2012, 12:55:19 PM »
I forgot to mention, I got there an hour early even though the test schedule asked skaters to arrive at least 30 minutes prior to their warm up.
Adult Silver FS, Intermediate MITF
Videos:  http://www.youtube.com/itslex71
Bronze Level Test Judge - Singles/Pairs
Non-Qual Competition Judge

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #40 on: August 15, 2012, 03:34:36 PM »
I forgot to mention, I got there an hour early even though the test schedule asked skaters to arrive at least 30 minutes prior to their warm up.

The email reply I received states one hour is expected for this test.

Just sent an email asking to "exchange a few words" regarding comments. Hopefully it will do the trick, coach is not coming with me.

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
« Reply #41 on: August 15, 2012, 05:17:37 PM »
Evaluators vary in terms of willingness to "meet" with skaters and coaches.  They're volunteers, of course :) and, if they experience what my DD has had in terms of being harangued, nearly assaulted, abused, and howled over by skating "moms" and also skaters (and coaches) - you can understand why they're gunshy of being "chatted" with.  If you think of a test day of, say, 30 skaters - all of whom want "just 5 minutes of your time" - then, that's 150 minutes, which is 2-1/2 hours! 

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #42 on: August 15, 2012, 06:16:25 PM »

If you think of a test day of, say, 30 skaters - all of whom want "just 5 minutes of your time" - then, that's 150 minutes, which is 2-1/2 hours! 

exactly! On the other hand I also repeatedly heard judges in general are happy to provide feedback when sought after. So I'm trying to find out when is a good occasion to approach the judges, if all possible.

Hoping to hear from the test chair :)

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
« Reply #43 on: August 15, 2012, 06:25:57 PM »
exactly! On the other hand I also repeatedly heard judges in general are happy to provide feedback when sought after. So I'm trying to find out when is a good occasion to approach the judges, if all possible.

Hoping to hear from the test chair :)

Most judges don't mind sharing their opinion and going over the test sheets with you.  One has to bear in mind that a judge sees a LOT of tests in one day and may not remember all of the details about your test.  It will help to have your test sheet with the comments on it.  It may also be easier to remember an adult test if there are not many adults testing that day as your test will stand out because you are an adult and not one of the throngs of 8 year olds who after a while all look alike... LOL

I have definitely been harangued - mostly by coache (well, just one coach that stands out)  and sometimes by parents and so it is good to maybe set up a more formal meeting so that everyone is on even ground so to speak.

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #44 on: August 16, 2012, 01:32:50 AM »
We have exactly two adults testing adult tests, so hopefully I'll be easy to remember ;)

Because I am the first skater after warm up, we went thru how to "stall" so I am not rushed into starting if I am not yet ready. Kleenex and water bottle on the boards, blow nose / drink water / tie skates, and not to make eye contact with the judges. (OK the last one was jokingly thrown in by Partnering Coach lol)

Offline blue111moon

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 34
« Reply #45 on: August 16, 2012, 07:20:18 AM »
Stalling isn't a good idea, says this test chair.  In my club, ice time is limited and test sessions can be tightly scheduled to make maximum use of the available ice and with hockey teams frothing to get on the second the clock tricks over to "their" hour, running over isn't an option.  Skaters who stall waste precious time and can throw off the whole schedule.  Plus it's perceived as rude behavior by the judges.  You know you're first after the warm-up.  Best to be ready to skate then.

Offline karne

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 11
« Reply #46 on: August 16, 2012, 07:41:59 AM »
Just going to add another support to "get there super early!"

For me this is never a problem, I'm normally at the rink at the start of competition/testing anyway. I like watching skating  :)

But I know late last year we had a showcase event that ended up running half an hour early. One of the skaters nearly missed her routine altogether, and my grandparents, who are notorious for being early to everything, walked in the rink door just as I stepped OFF the ice...

But I also treat it like an airport. I'm never later than two hours early for a flight. If you can stay warm/get there, two hours might be a good safety buffer.

But then maybe not everyone is as paranoid about it as me...
"Three months in figure skating is nothing. Three months is like 5 minutes in a day. 5 minutes in 24 hours - that's how long you've been working on this. And that's not long at all. You are 1000% better than you were 5 minutes ago." -- My coach

ISA Preliminary! Passed 13/12/14!

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #47 on: August 16, 2012, 08:19:55 AM »
I vaguely remember that in competition, skaters can have one minute from getting announced until taking the starting pose? Is it true for tests a well? IMO they mentioned stalling as an emergency safety measure, say my nerves suddenly break down or something, lol.

Ant it reminded me to bring Kleenex and water bottle, yeah :)

Another thing I learned from the testing schedule: pre juv thru novice moves are double paneled, prepre and prelim moves triple paneled, so is the prepre free skate. Again, adult pre bronze tests benefited from being grouped into higher level FS, private ice! :) I don't understand why the other pre bronze skater is not in my pre bronze FS warm up group, it's a much smaller group and less intimidating. they could have totally double paneled us as well. :)

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #48 on: August 16, 2012, 08:38:43 AM »
Stalling isn't a good idea, says this test chair.  In my club, ice time is limited and test sessions can be tightly scheduled to make maximum use of the available ice and with hockey teams frothing to get on the second the clock tricks over to "their" hour, running over isn't an option.  Skaters who stall waste precious time and can throw off the whole schedule.  Plus it's perceived as rude behavior by the judges.  You know you're first after the warm-up.  Best to be ready to skate then.

Isn't it weird how the same test session that was running an hour ahead at the middle of the day can be 30 minutes behind by the end of the day?
A friend took his Gold free on a session running late just before a minor league professional hockey game started...the fans were in the stand, the refs in the box ready to go.  He said at least the fans were polite and applauded for him...but it really threw off a few of the younger skaters who had to skate in that last warm up group.

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #49 on: August 16, 2012, 08:41:13 AM »
I vaguely remember that in competition, skaters can have one minute from getting announced until taking the starting pose? Is it true for tests a well? IMO they mentioned stalling as an emergency safety measure, say my nerves suddenly break down or something, lol.

There isn't a timer for tests. The worst that is going to happen is a judge says "jjane, we are ready for you!".

However, being first after the warm up usually means you should finish at the 1 minute call, go to the wall, talk to your coach, catch your breathe, blow your nose etc.  Even elites do that if you watch the warm ups at major events.  First skater up always loses warm up time.
Skating second in the warm up is always the best position, but for PB you'll be fine, and you'll be doubly fine for Bronze, since you already got to try the ice out for PB.  And doing a sit spin or backspin during your PB free warm up isn't going to be out of place, so you can do those elements from your Bronze test if you want.  The jumps on PB are optional anyway (IIRC), so you could warm up any of your jumps then and not be noticed.