You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Concussion moves survey  (Read 15347 times)

Offline ChristyRN

• Salchow-a-Bunga!
  • Total GOE: 184
Re: Concussion moves survey
« Reply #50 on: September 30, 2012, 08:07:56 PM »
I was skating at a different rink one time on a public session.  I was weak enough that I spent most of the time doing laps and finding a spot to practice individual skills--some on the goalie crease.  I was coming around the endzone toward the sal corner (had never even heard the term at the time) trying to avoid a group of boys standing in the endzone and this upper level skater came flying into the circle.  She had enough momentum when she hit me that it left a huge bruise on my upper arm and it hurt to move it for a long time.  She gave me the evil eye for being there.  Remember, this was a public session--and there were signs that said "no jumping or spinning"

I probably should have been more aware of her, but I was still a beginner, and even if I had seen her coming, would have not been able to get out of her way. 
Once in his life, every man is entitled to fall madly in love with one gorgeous redhead.  (Lucille Ball)

Offline VAsk8r

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 18
« Reply #51 on: October 01, 2012, 08:29:21 PM »
ChristyRN, that's ridiculous! I would have complained to management.

Offline ChristyRN

• Salchow-a-Bunga!
  • Total GOE: 184
« Reply #52 on: October 02, 2012, 05:29:00 PM »
Management would have done nothing.  It's always been that way at this rink--it's why I rarely skate there though I love one of the coaches.  Her family spent a lot more money there than I did at that point, so I would have been the one at fault.  I just chalked it up to live and learn and avoided her (and her sister) after that.
Once in his life, every man is entitled to fall madly in love with one gorgeous redhead.  (Lucille Ball)

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
« Reply #53 on: October 03, 2012, 12:13:43 AM »
Not on how it happened, but two sources mentioned direct contact of head and blades as the consequence of the fall... :sad:

Heard the girl did fracture her skull but has recovered extremely well. VERY HAPPY for her. It's great to be young!

Offline Kitten23

• Future Adult National Champion
  • Defrosting Da Toes
  • Total GOE: 12
« Reply #54 on: October 03, 2012, 03:02:30 PM »
Didn't hit my head, but I did miss my toe pick on a split jump and landed on my facial cheek.  Hairline fracture of my cheek, bit through my bottom lip, sprained my wrist and got a black eye.  Then had to drive home from the rink!  I used ALL the lanes on the street driving home.  Happily, it was Black Friday and 9:00 in the morning so either everyone was home asleep or heading home on the highways from the stores.
Courage doesn't always roar.  Sometimes it's the quiet voice at the end of the day that says, "I will try again tomorrow."

http://competitiveadultfigureskater.blogspot.com/

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #55 on: October 05, 2012, 09:25:32 PM »
Coach didn't say anything (no look out, nothing) as coach was distracted chit chatting while PJ skater was setting up the 2S and neglected to tell skater who's music it was or who to be watching for/pattern to avoid (and Senior lady is also said coach's student, so coach would know). 

If that was my coach, either student, I would quit her faster than a speeding bullet.

My coaches always have laser eyes on me.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #56 on: October 05, 2012, 09:35:56 PM »
If that was my coach, either student, I would quit her faster than a speeding bullet.

My coaches always have laser eyes on me.

Sometimes it's a distraction out of the coach's control, but I'd quit too if during private lessons I repeatedly fail to hold the coach's attention.

I asked this before but would ask again: other than the back of the head, what do you think is the most likely impact area of a bad fall on the head?

Offline AgnesNitt

• Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #57 on: October 05, 2012, 10:17:58 PM »

I asked this before but would ask again: other than the back of the head, what do you think is the most likely impact area of a bad fall on the head?

Jaw.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
« Reply #58 on: October 06, 2012, 12:24:32 PM »

I think it's the cheekbone, to be honest.  I've seen at least 4 in the last two weeks.  The kids get bumps and scrapes, but fortunately, no split skin like from a jaw or chin.  However, they're definitely in pain, complain of headaches for days afterward and it takes longer to heal.  Parents are less likely to seek medical advice because there's little to no blood.

I think the chin/jaw is more terrifying because it usually results in bleeding and stitches.  Everyone runs for towels, bandages and ice.  There's no real "cushion" in that area of the face, so the skin usually splits open and bleeds a lot, but it heals very quickly and with few lingering effects other than a scar.
-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright

Offline Gabby on Ice

• Zamboni Driver
  • Total GOE: 3
« Reply #59 on: November 23, 2012, 02:05:08 AM »
I have only hit my head once. Last week, when I was doing a one-foot spin, I fell and hit my head on the ice. But it didn't hurt too bad.

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #60 on: November 23, 2012, 01:23:30 PM »
My kid - 2 LZ. Freak fall.  Another kid - blades went out from underneath during stroking. Freak fall.

You can put as much padding on your head as you like, you're still going to end up with concussions. The helmet/padding will prevent a skull fracture - but, the concussion happens when your brain sloshes against the inside of your skull ... it's a shock wave impact. The brain gets bruised.  Which is why each successive concussion is generally worse, particularly when someone hasn't taken adequate time to heal; think of getting  a bruise on a bruise ... the blood vessels are already compromised and the second impact is on an already weakened structure.

There are studies going on about how to reduce the factor of concussion ... neck supports, mouthguards etc, but so far, nothing is proven ...

The BEST prevention is learning how to fall. Martial arts is excellent; you learn how to tuck, roll, react fast, protect the head ... that's saved us from quite a few nasty head injuries.

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #61 on: November 30, 2012, 11:43:23 AM »
Two reported concussions on the elite scene this season:

- China's Nan Song crashed with Adam Rippon in warm up before LP in CoC, suffered concussion with short term memory loss. He competed in TEB two weeks later, obviously still weak.

- Russia's Julia Lipnitskaia withdrew from GPF because she "split her chin open after losing her balance on a jump in training" and suffers a mild concussion.