You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Calf strength for 2loop  (Read 5174 times)

Offline Sierra

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 97
Calf strength for 2loop
« on: October 25, 2010, 10:13:17 PM »
I've never had professional instruction on body strengthening, so I've basically taught myself from various internet sources. I've looked up what muscle does what so I know what to strengthen for certain moves, and calf is what points the toe. Loops need a strong toe point on takeoff, and since I just started 2loop I think it'd be a good idea to focus on my calves.
Right now, standing on one leg (my takeoff leg) with no arm or leg swinging, I can jump up about 8-10 inches. I don't know how high my single loop is- I always mess up the ones I try to film.

I've been doing calf raises on one foot at a time, which is basically putting a 2 inch board under the ball of my foot and pushing up onto my toes using the calf muscle. I can't seem to find any other calf exercises. Doing 2-3 sets of 15-20 calf raises will tire the muscle but doesn't make it burn. I need a burner.

Suggestions for any other calf isolation exercises?

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
Re: Calf strength for 2loop
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2010, 10:27:02 PM »
I used to work out at a big gym that had a leg press machine.  I found that strengthened my quadriceps as well as the knee and calf/ankle. 
-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright

Offline Kim to the Max

• Ice is the Vice
  • Total GOE: 72
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2010, 10:50:11 PM »
I would do some over all leg workouts so that you are working hamstrings, quads, glutes, calves, etc. My trainer has me do a lot of jumping squats, jumping on boxes, bunny hops, pushup crawls (which are all calves), lunges, and doing some of these things on the bosu....

Make sure that you are getting an overall body work out so that you don't get things all out of balance. Right now, as much as I hate it, my trainer and I are working on my upperbody, which will help me with pulling in and launching myself in the air. I hate it, and curse his name every time, but I know it's good for me. Although, pushing him around on a "sled" made of an upside down step was really not much fun today (all upper body, legs, and core)...

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
  • Total GOE: 49
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2010, 03:28:47 AM »
Reading your description of your calf exercise, I've got a suggestion. Instead of putting something under the ball of your foot, why not stand on a stair and drop your heel down over the stair and then push up to tip-toes.
The down movement is good for stretching the calf muscle, but you would be taking the muscle through the full range of motion doing that.

Offline Sierra

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2010, 12:10:53 PM »
If I can ever afford a gym membership, I'll look for that machine ;D My rink has a gym that looks over both rinks, which is cool, but I'll look into that when I'm driving myself with no parent being towed behind.

Yup- I also do hamstring isolation and adductor isolation, and overall quad exercises. Part of my self teaching included looking up which muscles tend to be underbalanced compared to the quad, which can in turn pull on the knee and cause pain. Core is worked on too. Unfortunately, I don't have the willpower to do upper body. If I do upper body, it has to strengthen core too. Like doing planks and maybe pushups on the ball.

Bunny hops? Off ice?
I can see how squat jumps and jumping helps- the toe is pointed to explode into the air. What about jump roping? Does that help any?

That sounds like it'd be more effective, especially since there won't be ground to rest on at the bottom. And it'll save time having to spend forever stretching my calves before stretching hamstrings. Thanks!

Offline Kim to the Max

• Ice is the Vice
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2010, 12:25:21 PM »
RE: bunny hops...not the bunny hops you do on ice :) these are small, 2 footed jumps across a space...you jump as high and as quick as you can...

Offline Sierra

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2010, 09:12:22 AM »
Oh! So like frog jumps without the knee bend and distance jumping.

Offline Kim to the Max

• Ice is the Vice
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2010, 09:19:36 AM »
Yes, they are like leap frogs but you don't do the squat part of it. It literally looks like someone playing the Easter Bunny hopping across a room (although not so light and dainty :) ) The other thing you can do it get yourself to a track or a larger area and do laps or passes of skipping...sounds easy, but ugh it is hard!!

Offline Sierra

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2010, 10:59:05 AM »
3 sets 15 reps squat jumps last night. And I thought I was fit.

Offline Kim to the Max

• Ice is the Vice
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2010, 11:33:11 AM »
3 sets 15 reps squat jumps last night. And I thought I was fit.

Haha :) There were several days my trainer had me do over 100 squats and squat jumps in 30 minutes....so much fun...

Offline Sierra

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2010, 08:47:10 PM »
Haha :) There were several days my trainer had me do over 100 squats and squat jumps in 30 minutes....so much fun...
I like to be able to walk the next day. :)

How much leg strength is really needed for 2loop, anyway?

Offline axelbaby

• Rink Rat
  • Total GOE: 0
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2010, 10:18:05 AM »
I don't think you need any more leg strength for double loop than any other jump.  The key to making that jump nice is more about the timing and using the edge to really get yourself in the air (oh and controlling the outside arm - which is the part I ALWAYS blow).  I often realize that when I try to muscle it with more strength, the end result is a disastrous jump because the timing goes wacky, or it causes my standing leg to bend and then not straighten on the landing.

But I really do think it is more about the timing/take off edge than muscle or strength. 

Good luck!  It's a wicked fun jump once you have it. 

Offline kssk8fan

• Zamboni Driver
  • Total GOE: 12
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2010, 11:25:00 AM »
I think core strength is the key to any jump, move, spin, etc.... involved in skating.   The ability to control your core during the take-off, air position and landing is critical to landing any jump.  The more you skate, the more strength you will develop in your calf muscles, naturally. 

Offline Doubletoe

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 139
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2010, 01:58:13 PM »
I agree that you don't need that much calf strength for a 2Lo (more technique, core strength, etc.), but if you want to work your calves to the point where you get a burn, it's hard to beat jumping rope!  I also like the calf raises on the stair because you get the full range of motion.  Be sure to stretch your calves really well after working them.

Offline Sierra

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2010, 10:15:01 AM »
Thanks all :) I'll need to dig my jumprope out of the black hole of our garage.

The double loop technique is fine so far. Glad to hear that it doesn't require strength so much as technique.

I've never really counted on skating to help me develop strength, because I only skate a few hours a week.