You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Off-ice exercises for Pairs that you can do Without your partner?  (Read 2512 times)

Offline pet_lover48

• Rink Rat
  • Total GOE: 0
Off-ice exercises for Pairs that you can do Without your partner?
« on: September 19, 2010, 02:06:32 PM »
Hi! Just wondering if there are any specific exercies I can do to help improve my pair skating elements (mainly lifts, etc.) that I can do at home WITHOUT my partner?

I already do a Lot of off-ice stuff related to my singles skating, so am Not looking for basic overall exercises, but things that will specifically help with Pairs.

I currently practise my press lift position by jumping up and holding the position on a railing/bar. I also practise my platter/table top lift position by laying on a counter and holding the position. ;D I still can't figure out how I could practise doing the Star lift and other lift positions, though. Any ideas on those ones?

Any comments/ideas greatly appreciated on other exercises I could do.  :)
Thanks,
Pet_lover48
PS: Forgot to mention - obviously, I know that you need to practise the lifts and stuff off-ice With your partner too, (which I understand is the really the only/best way to truely practise your lifts), but I was just wondering what else I could also do at home by myself.  :)

Offline rsk8d

• Homologating Quadrubles
  • Total GOE: 12
    • Sk8Strong
Re: Off-ice exercises for Pairs that you can do Without your partner?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2010, 10:21:56 PM »
Are you doing much upper body strengthening?  The best things to do are overhead presses (free weights), inverted rows (like a horizontal pull-up), push-ups on a phyisoball against a wall, cable column or sport cords exercises overhead, any rotator cuff exercises (external and internal rotation) to protect your shoulders from excess wear and tear.  Kettlebell exercises as well......

You need a lot of core strength for the lifts, so I would practice lift positions while standing on a rocker or balance board, dyna disc, or half foam roller, holding some weight overhead.  Also squatting on any of these balance tools with weight overhead (not too much though!).

Just some thoughts.... we've thought about doing a pairs DVD, but there aren't enough pairs to cover what we would need to produce!
Visit www.sk8strong.com for off-ice training information, DVDs and more